1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubryaj

Ubryaj Member

Well I stopped by my local Goodwill for my first foray into thrifting. I am just trying to build a wardrobe from essentially nothing right now. Didn't buy anything, I'll call it my practice run. I started with shoes in hopes of finding a pair of Allen Edmonds or even Florshiem or Cole Haan with no luck. Most of the shoes were pretty beat. Saw a pair of Dexter shoes which I never heard of. They only had about 8 ties that I saw...nothing good. Went to the shirts...found about 4 Brooks Brothers shirts, 17.5x34, not my size. Two of them were 1818, two were 346. Found a purple/black Ben Sherman shirt that was pretty ugly. Moved to suits. All the coats are separated from the pants, which makes it daunting to think about finding matching pants if you do find a suit coat. Found a "Mani" tweed, a Toscanini, an "Alexandre Collection" suit made in Great Britain which had a cool black/orange lining custom tailor for someone, and a navy Montay "Hong Kong" tailors suit made in Hong Kong for someone, and a Charles Oliver LTD. I was pretty confused by the store, I didn't see any indicator of sizes. The pants seemed to be the most difficult to go through. I think I'm going to stop by the local Salvation Army tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a better experience. Seemed very time consuming but I guess you get a pattern down and when you know what you're looking for you can go much faster.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No inside tag, except the woolmark tag and the size tag...54 Italy.

This is not really on topic, but it is still clothing. Picked up this 70's ish women's Arctic Cat Snowmobile jacket. Should flip nicely.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

I'm pretty sure this is a fake. I don't really know about D&G, but it looks fake. And to the dude that found the A. Testoni's for $11... NICE FIND!!! What size are they?!

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Good job. You did well passing on things that did not fit or were not better quality. Don't worry. You'll hit your stride soon enough.

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Looks like someone colored in the D & G with a gray fabric marker to match the drycleaning name.

I will say the shirt could very well be legit, since Ittierre used to make all D & G stuff up til around middle'ish part of 00's (hence made in Italy). There should be a hologram where the fabric care instructions are at the bottom side of the shirt. No hologram = fake. Even a hologram piece could be fake, but it is easy to check online at examples of holograms.

EDIT:
    It is fake - the 16.5/41 is BS. Checked my own D&G shirts, the font is wrong and the "&" is too big. Still a nice looking shirt though, sky blue with white stripes is a classic pattern.

6. Ubryaj

Ubryaj Member

Thanks Digmenow. I wish there was a list of names/brands that one should look out for and general thrifting tips. I'm sure there's many on this thread but that's way too much to read. My strategy was to look for made in U.S.A. or England/Italy. I did feel the difference between the fussed and canvassed suits which I have read. I wasn't sure if I should be only on the look out for my size or just sell/trade on here though. I wish there were more ties, those are the easiest to go through and find. Overall, this is a new experience for me, I'm accustomed to just walking into a store, finding my size and then buying. It's somewhat overwhelming to see those rows of clothes knowing a good 90% or more is junk.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Swung into a local GW on my way home. Picked up a very recent Gitman Bros ("Master Shirt Makers" on the label) button-down. Red/blue gingham check. Button-down collar. I'm usually a Large (42 R, 16.5 neck) but this is tagged a M and the fit is spot on. Nice, slim fitting and the length is perfect to wear tucked or untucked. $5 well spent!

1 person likes this.
  8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I went back to the pawn shop to take a better look at the Ray Bans. They are model 62014 Aviators by Baush & Lomb. They have them priced at $99 but last week the guy told me $70. Still seems too pricy but I like them. Unless they are too big but I think that's the point of Aviators. Big enough vintage glass lenses to block the sun from the edges back before Oakley or whomever came along to bend the poly carbonates. Little bits of schmeg between the rims and the glass in various places but they should clean up and a trip to somewhere to have them adjusted to my face.

Can you see me wearing these beside the pool in Puerto Rico this May? Linen shirt and chino shorts. Maybe some Sebagos on the feet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. tben

tben Senior member

There are two in the area that usually have a few small rubbermaid containers filled with watches. The box is maked $1 so all of the watches in the box are a dollar each. They also sometimes have sandwich bags full of old watches and costume jewelry usually marked $1.50 or $2. They do this at some flea markets in my area as well. Its a lot of work because you pick through a box of crap in hopes to find a gem. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.

10. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dig, you headed to PR? Awesome eats there. Let me know if you need a rec or two.

12. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

+1 to Maui Jim. Although I personally wear and recommend the "Kahuna"

[​IMG]

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1 to Maui Jim. Although I personally wear and recommend the "Kahuna"

Bought these after Christmas - MAUI JIM HONOLUA BAY, recommend highly too. They ran me $175

[​IMG]

14. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

It is really nice fabric and for $5.99, works for me. Picked up three sweaters, a BB, Zegna, RLPL, three out of four ain't bad. Thanks for the info.

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

EVERYBODY (even the guise on the Benz forum) is touting Maui Jim. Light weight, wraparound, etc. I already have a pair of Costa del Mar shades with reading glass bifocals ground into them. I'm not looking for more of that. Ignore the still developing hair style in teh dated pic.

[​IMG]

I just want the real thing. Classic. Vintage.

Got coupons? We're doing an all inclusive thing in late May. I plan to drink myself into a week long stupor beside the pool. Not to be confused by my week long stupor on my laptop in styleforum.

SWMBO earns us a trip somewhere every year with her side job selling jewelry. Last year was the Italian cruise, Club Med the year before and Waikiki the first year. Nuttin' but fun!

16. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Ughhh. Annoyances today. First place, find a nice dark navy with pinstripes Hickey Freeman jacket. I immediately have a sense of dread. This place is notorious as a pants black hole. Out of the 10+ decent orphan jackets I've found there, I've found pants for like 2 of them. And I'd say less than 10% of their jackets are paired with pants. WTF are they doing with the f*cking pants??? Anyhow, the dread was correct: no pants. Find a nice really light grey colored Southwick. Same dread, same result.

Stop number 2. First 2 jackets are Hickey Freemans...one olive green, the other a very nice light grey with a windowpane pattern with Loro Piana Tasmanian Super 120s fabric. The LP has random stains all over the place, but they all look to be surface stains that will come out with a spot cleaning and/or intensive dry cleaning session. This store has the same reputation as a pants black hole, so the same sense of dread overcomes me....with the same result: no pants. [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Out of pure anger and hard-headedness, I get both the jackets since they're really cheap here, and though (probably...please confirm for me) orphans, at least they're *somewhat* workable alone and are not solid grey/grey pinstripe or something. Anyhow, confirm the worst for me...orphans, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Believe it or not, this is solid very dark olive green. My camera is having difficulty getting the color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. valium

valium Senior member

update:sold that chair today for $800 :)
    nice tidy $775 profit for ten minutes work.

18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ really? that crazy chair for $800? what kind of chair was that? and congrats!

19. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

:slayer:
    wow

20. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Found this in one of the bags in my basement...

Edward Sexton Saville Row - either bespoke or MTM 42L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

EZ su misura Olive Check with Blue Windowpane 46R (already on the bay but such a pretty jacket I thought I'd show it off)
    [​IMG]

And this...PRL navy cotton sportscoat, patch pockets, hook vent, working buttonholes...tagged a boys 20. Measures out to a 36S with crazy short arms.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.