• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice guys. I may have to call in sick tomorrow morning and go grab the rest.

Definitely go back before they're gone. I've done this a few times (on stuff I didn't know about obviously) and am still kicking myself for a few of those occasions.

floors to go

Reaction score
Had a decent day for ties. Found 7 basically new BB ties for myself, plus these.

Zegna, Zegna, Zegna, Zegna, Talbott Skinny, BB,BB

Bought a few pairs of Zegna Sport pants, got home and measured, 34/26 :brick:

Does anyone know anything about Arny's Paris, picked up a pair of wool/cashmere pants seem to be really nice quality.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Questions for you guys:

Is it worth picking up Harris Tweeds to flip?

How good a suit is Daks? I saw a Daks suit coat yesterday, but the pants with it weren't a match. I looked around quickly for the matching pants, but no luck. I know I've seen Daks mentioned here before, but I wasn't sure how good they are comparatively.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Questions for you guys:

How good a suit is Daks? I saw a Daks suit coat yesterday, but the pants with it weren't a match. I looked around quickly for the matching pants, but no luck. I know I've seen Daks mentioned here before, but I wasn't sure how good they are comparatively. 

There's a good bit of info about Daks on Wikipedia at this link. I did some research on a sport coat that I thrifted. There's not much demand for them on sf. Harris Tweed is a tricky thing because the label refers to the material and not the construction of the garment. Unless you know that it is a quality manufacturer, you might have trouble flipping. There's a person in Spoo's tweed appreciation thread that has a huge inventory of nuttin' but tweeds.

Daks at Simpsons of Piccadilly

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Thanks. They are 34/31.5, single pleat, wool & cashmere if anyones interested.

Can we see some pics of this beauty :)

Arny's is really nice stuff. It's a luxury boutique, kind of like Hermes except not as well known. I only found one Arny's shirt before. The stuff does very well on the second hand market.

You know everything Nat, I just went on their site. 620 Euro dress shirt that is a blend of cashmere, wool, silk wow.. The French really know how to make overpriced goods.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought about starting a new thread about something that happened to me today but it's thanks to this thread that it even took place to begin with so I'm posting it here first.

I have been out shopping for a replacement daily driver and stopped in at a small father and son dealer to look at a car. While I was sitting in one looking it over, the guy, of some eastern European or middle eastern descent (based on his accent and business card) asked me out of the blue if I was Italian. Maybe he was just being a good salesman but my heart skipped a beat as that has only happened in real life one other time, decades ago on a trip to Belgium.

I asked him what made him think so and he said it was the way that I was dressed. I don't have a fit pic but I was wearing nothing but thrifted clothing.

Brown Harris Tweed SC.
Kirkland (Costco house brand) OCBD shirt, white w/red check, open at the throat.
Polo khaki chinos
AE "Maxfield" tasseled loafers.

Thanks for the help guys.

internet-bro-fist.jpg

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
I thought about starting a new thread about something that happened to me today but it's thanks to this thread that it even took place to begin with so I'm posting it here first.
I have been out shopping for a replacement daily driver and stopped in at a small father and son dealer to look at a car. While I was sitting in one looking it over, the guy, of some eastern European or middle eastern descent (based on his accent and business card) asked me out of the blue if I was Italian. Maybe he was just being a good salesman but my heart skipped a beat as that has only happened in real life one other time, decades ago on a trip to Belgium.
I asked him what made him think so and he said it was the way that I was dressed. I don't have a fit pic but I was wearing nothing but thrifted clothing.
Brown Harris Tweed SC.
Kirkland (Costco house brand) OCBD shirt, white w/red check, open at the throat.
Polo khaki chinos
AE "Maxfield" tasseled loafers.
Thanks for the help guys.
internet-bro-fist.jpg

ha nice one, you would pass for a Italian from the pics too.

MattR

Reaction score

Questions for you guys:

I made the mistake early on of thinking they would be easy to flip. In my experience, that hasn't been the case, and I'm holding an american made Lands' End HT. Granted, it has a minor tear in the lining, but I am practically giving it away, and zero bites, despite high traffic to my sale thread.

Same seems to go for ebay. I've seen several of the same pieces up there for months.

As tempting as they are, I'd let them go. Find one that fits you well, but I'd let the rest hang on the rack.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a good bit of info about Daks on Wikipedia at this link. I did some research on a sport coat that I thrifted. There's not much demand for them on sf. Harris Tweed is a tricky thing because the label refers to the material and not the construction of the garment. Unless you know that it is a quality manufacturer, you might have trouble flipping. There's a person in Spoo's tweed appreciation thread that has a huge inventory of nuttin' but tweeds.
Daks at Simpsons of Piccadilly

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.
I made the mistake early on of thinking they would be easy to flip. In my experience, that hasn't been the case, and I'm holding an american made Lands' End HT. Granted, it has a minor tear in the lining, but I am practically giving it away, and zero bites, despite high traffic to my sale thread.
Same seems to go for ebay. I've seen several of the same pieces up there for months.
As tempting as they are, I'd let them go. Find one that fits you well, but I'd let the rest hang on the rack.

Yeah, that's what I did. I do love me some tweed, but I guess not everyone does. Any idea how easy they are to clean? The one I really liked yesterday had a small stain at the cuff like the guy had dipped it in food while eating. Nothing major that you'd notice if you weren't looking closely, but it made me leave it behind.

floors to go

Reaction score

Can we see some pics of this beauty :)

You know everything Nat, I just went on their site. 620 Euro dress shirt that is a blend of cashmere, wool, silk wow.. The French really know how to make overpriced goods.

Nothing real special looking, just really well made. The first pic shows the color right.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Those look like a nice, classic pair of trousers. Score!

I've been in the thrifting doldrums lately. Too many big-time flippers and my favored chain is getting ridiculous with their pricing at every store. I hope things pick up during tax season where in past years it seems they just push stuff out of the back to make room for more stuff and don't dink around with marking up prices.

Not a quality, SF-approved piece, but it definitely is interesting....and loud!

- Missioni Uomo zig-zag pattern velvet sportcoat. I seemed to remember that the wild colored/printed Missioni stuff did well, so I grabbed it so I didn't come out empty handed.

Also got a short-sleeve REI shirt for summertime casual wear and a beautiful Anne Fontaine blouse for my wife, which she later tried on and didn't fit her. :brick:

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01184.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads