Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

sweet looking jacket.

2. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I found an old Par-Kerry 100% Cashmere overcoat today at an estate sale. Does anyone have any guesses as to the age? I've been able to find old ads from the 20's to the late 40's, but was curious if it was newer than that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Passed on a recent Richard James Saville Row jacket separate (grey pinstripes), and a very recent (tagged 2007) Dolce & Gabbana jacket separate (also grey pinstripes) because I couldn't find the pants for either. :-/. Smart move or not?

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Dang. Stripes are tough without matching pants, a birdseye or windowpane would be an easier pickup if it were a orphan. The Dolce & Gabbana would still be an easy sale if it's the mainline and in good shape. Head back over the next few days if it's nearby and tear the place apart. Also find out if it's a place that gets distributed stuff or processes it's own stuff. Either way, I'd hit it up over the next few days and see what happens.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Argh, I won't be back in the area until Tuesday...hopefully it's still around. I think this place is pretty safe from other flippers, so it might still be around..I almost snapped a shot of the D&G tag, and now I wish I had. Will do on Tuesday if it's still around, thanks.

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

It depends on the stripes. Pic of jacket, and it would be easy to tell. In any case, name brand anything is sellable (perhaps not on this forum, but anywhere else there will be someone who will gladly take it off you).

7. woolnotmutton

the quanlity back then was just unbelievable, just looking at the discoloration of the tag, I would say this coat is probably from that era... Must have been kept really well.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

IMO if its a nice, good condition and the buttons arnt crap, Harris Tweed's sell on eBay decently (if its a 36S send me a PM), but just dont expect to make $80 flipping it unless you want to sit on it for months. Take your quick $20-40 and be happy. When I pick them up they are $3-7 and you really can't lose money flipping a nice Harris Tweed in that price range.

9. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Holy mother of god!

I found this thread last weekend. I've been reading almost non-stop. currently on page 896 [​IMG]

Went thrifting today, picked up some ties (for me) and shoes. The shoes I picked up for my bro, but "they arent his style" WTF these are some pimp a$$ shoes! Oh well, if someone doesnt want to wear something, you cant make them...Since I have size 12's and I can't use them, let me know if you guys are interested, otherwise I'll probably toss them up on ebay.

Allen Edmonds Melrose Sz 8D Loafer - slight scuff on toe
    [​IMG]

Johnston & Murphy Aristocraft VII Sz 8.5D/B - Look new
    [​IMG]

Florsheim Sz 8.5EEE Dark Burgundy color? - need some love
    [​IMG]

Ties (Left to Right):
    "346 Brooks Brothers"?, Rooster, Ketch (never heard of?), YSL, Lanvin, Lauren Ralph Lauren Green label (read today this isnt best quality)

[​IMG]

Here are some more pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/p6Jkb

10. MattR

MattR Senior member

ebay just scares the ever-loving crap out of me, what with some of the rampant fraud people on this forum have seen. people in this thread, especially, often find great pieces, and I'd hate to have to even deal with half of what nataku has been going through.

11. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Pretty good day. Zegna orphan 50R. tore up that thrift store to find the pants to no avail. Tried the women's. the dressing rooms, mens pants and nothing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the above is available since it's a little too small for me. Double vented.

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Polo R Lauren Blue Linen coat. Very lightweight. Probably won't move since it getting cold out there. Sz L.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Couple of ties:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. woolnotmutton

go back every 3-4 days and just look for the same pattern. Sometimes they don't bring stuff out together.

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

That is quite a recent item as well (last 5 years). Good find.

It is impossible to say whether the pants even came with the jacket - i.e. original owner bust the pants, hence decided to get rid of the jacket.

If owner got rid of both pants and jacket together, a lot can happen. A Donation Only centre could have distributed them to a different store - it happens.

Optimistically, you are unlikely to find the pants even if they appear in the same store. An oxymoron of terms, but in my experience a good pair of pants will dissapear from the racks faster than you can say blueberry pancakes. A pair of pants like that will dissapear on day one or day two it hits the racks, even if that thrift store does not attract many professional flippers.

Chances are the pants and suit came out together and were:
    1) Separated by store workers, and someone bought the pants.
    2) Kept together, but a guy could not fit the jacket, but the pants were OK, so he swiped them :mad:

If the jacket was priced as a sport coat (i.e. approx half of that of a suit), then they were separated by the store, and chances are someone bought the spare pants. There is a remote chance the thrift store could have them out in the back, but it is a remote chance given the turnabout rate of most thrift stores.

A pessimistic note to an otherwise excellent find.

I would wear that and I would act like I owned the place as well ;)

I used to have an Etro jacket similar to that one :lol:. Wish I still had it, but a cigar made holes too big to reweave / patch.

Put it on and do a PIC for WAYWRN. The conservatives will throw a fit, but the ones with eyes for details or unusual pieces would certainly consider it a historical moment and your street cred will go up a few more notches :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.