1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

2. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

[FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif]I have the sleeves on the tweed rolled up about an inch and a half, but i felt the same way - I have thought about tailoring, but I'm not that in love. [/FONT]

The only reason I bought the Jacket/Vest, is because they were half off at St. Vinnie's, and you never know what is gonna sell well on Etsy.

Quote:

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:slayer:
    Something about a cartoon-ish blue duck in a red bow tie pointing out prices in red just doesn't seem upscale or high end to me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  4. chest rockwell

chest rockwell Member

went to Goodwill on my lunchbreak and found a 7-fold Roberto Villini Couture silk tie. 98% sure it's nothing worth bragging about, but it was my first hands-on look at a 7-fold. Very nice and heavy.

5. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Pics, or it didn't happen.

I was thinking about ties recently, and how few special ties I find. I wonder if living in the PNW, a chronically casual environment (my governor is known for jeans and flannel shirts), lowers the amount of men who purchase quality men's attire. While thrifting, I have yet to find anything besides a three-fold- and have certainly never seen a tie from any of the elite manufacturers.

6. chest rockwell

chest rockwell Member

Honestly, I don't know if it's a 3-, 6-, or 7-fold tie. I just know it's not the normal construction. I'll post a pic when I get home.

7. chest rockwell

chest rockwell Member

Honestly I don' t know the difference between a 3-, 6-, or 7-fold tie. I just know the one I found is different than most; I'll be sure to post a pic when I get home.

8. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Do you mean you wouldn't be able to spot them, or you actually don't know the difference?
    Quote:

9. chest rockwell

chest rockwell Member

Well I guess I do know the differences, I just can't spot them.

10. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Found a pair of black Cole Haan Air Carter's for $30 at Goodwill - barely any signs of being worn. No wear & tear in the heel. No creases, and the soles only showed minor use.

http://www.dillards.com/product/Cole-Haan-Air-Carter-CapToe-Dress-Oxfords_301_-1_301_501856645

Then I went to another thrift store across the street and found a black pair of Brooks Brothers semi-brogues for $30.

Both excellent finds that I couldn't be happier with, but sort of bummed out that I had tucked money aside for my first pair of Alden shoes and now I can't justify getting them.

#FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS

11. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Get the Alden's!!!!

I don't know about the BBs, but I can tell you from experience that the Air carters will break down on you in a hurry. I got about 12 months out of mine, at twice a week, before they needed some serious work. Soles were fine, but the uppers had gone to seed.

12. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Rather than taking the suggestion on burning the Zegna tie from last week, I took it back with the "I thought these were the orphan pants" that were actually Staffords for store credit. Had a nice session everything fit and are all keepers, including my first RLPL and D&G:

RLPL 100% cotton, very sheer, (dry clean only?) pullover sweater/shirt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Very soft Dolce & Gabbana inside button down collar dress shirt:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Very plush E. Zegna mock turtleneck in a 70% wool, 20% Silk, 10% cashmere blend. Interesting how the fabric tag is connected with only a single corner.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lastly, a staple BB yellow crew neck yellow sweater, someone said earlier they liked yellow:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'll have to put on the 7 for all Mankind jeans I thrifted and post some pictures with the sweaters.

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I bet those Zegna tags are intended to be removed, hence the minimal attachment.

14. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

First post ever. Hope I've lurked enough to learn the way of things. If not, I suppose someone'll point out the error of my ways …

Yesterday at Goodwill, found a pair of brown Allen Edmonds oxfords with Vibram lug soles, in brand-new condition inside and out, for like $11. Also, an OK light blue silk/cashmere sweater for like $4. Passed on a Zegna coat in 42R, navy, double-vented, three-button, canvassed, because the lining was messed up and I'm pretty sure it was an odd jacket rather than a standalone coat … but I'm kicking myself because it was just a seam that had come unstitched (no fabric tears), I imagine it would be a pretty cheap repair, and although it was a tad small, I imagine someone appreciative would surely love to give it a good home …

Last week, found some Edmonds wingtips in burgundy, in need of a little polish and love but otherwise not too shabby, as well as a couple of Canali sports coats (blue Super 150's in 42R and tan/brown houndstooth in like 44/46, I forget which; they're both available if anyone would like to hear more).

Anyway. Hi, all.

15. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

From looking at them that's what I figured. The Zegna tag is only attached on the top. The fabric tag is a pretty soft material, but I think I'll remove it. It's a really rich feeling sweater, very light.

16. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Welcome, being a former first time poster (weren't we all) not too long ago, thought I would say, post some pics! Good thrifting to you.

17. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Bumping this one. The thread was moving so fast that day, it may have gotten missed.

18. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

no idea on the maker, but that looks like a sweet coat. available? size?

also: you should post a pic of the size tag on the inside, that may give clues as to the manufacturer.

19. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks, It's fairly well made. Yes. Will have to check when I get home.
    Will post inner tag later, though I had done that...I guess not.

20. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That LP label looks pretty old, that's all I can glean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.