1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

i hit some SHITTY areas too, but find some really good stuff because that store sells alot of baggy jeans, fubu etc....

I carry my Sig P238 as my pocket gun, and keep a glock 23 in the center console of my car 24/7.

2. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I found this Brioni shirt last week. It was $12.99 with the drycleaner's tag still attached, and marked an XL. I figured that it was too big, so I put it ebay, where it sold for $29.99. Then, as I was packing it, I dropped a pair of scissors and put a micro-hole in the fabric. Honest guy that I am, I told the buyer and refunded his money. (I offered him a $10 discount, but he wouldn't go for it.) I thought that it was going to be that kind of day, but then I actually tried on the shirt and it, very strangely, fits like a slim L. So now, as I write this, about to eat a salami sandwich on rye, I'm wearing a Brioni shirt.

[​IMG]

While it's nice to see everyone's finds, the thrifting stories are getting to be the best part of this thread. So I'll just add a couple: in August, I was standing at a rack of shirts when a blind man, in his 60s and dressed in a very conservative sportcoat, walked up to me and asked if I could critique the fit of the trousers that he'd just picked out, because they were a bit too tight in the thigh. I looked down, and he was wearing a pair of women's boot-cut lycra-spandex khakis with a high-button waist.

Then, last week, a homeless guy walked up to me and asked me if I was still in the navy. I'm not--and never have been--in the navy. He told me that he'd see me back on board the ship, in Halifax. I don't know if anyone's noticed this, but most homeless men wear sportcoats. Now you know where they find them.

3. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

found a couple mint Robert Talbott and an ike behar shirts in my size yesterday for 2 bucks a pop. brioni orphan, but its plain grey so i bought it. Best find was a very recent zegna cashco s/c in 40R.

Passed on a recent zegna suit jacket in my size which was marked as a suit, but pants were nowhere to be found:(

Same story with a recent corneliani and hickey freeman :(

Found a pair of NWT hickey freeman slacks in my size, but once again moth holes....WTF?!?!?!

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

Saw recent Hickey Freeman suit for Nordstrams in 36s. Navy blue and 2B. I know there are a few smaller guys on here who would love that, so I checked out the pants. There are a few light stains on the pants :)fu:). I applied a little moisture and the ones I tried came up a bit, but not entirely.

5. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

jesus, you guys really are thrifting pros... to be carrying sidearms while thirfting. I'm really impressed.

6. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

ha that is pretty funny.

7. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

LOL i carry all the time, not just thrifting.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sorry. I didn't want it to come across as spam, I just don't know how to change the link. I figured $23 was a decent price for a BB suit, if I am way off I appologize.

9. mainy

mainy Senior member

where are you coming from? let me know if you want to go thrifting, I can give you some tips at the least

alan: It definitely was not a friendly stop... I basically got chewed out for even being in the neighborhood, I was at the small city union mission 2nd chance store which is "northside" (not north of the river) kcmo

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks for the tip, I am new and appreciate the feedback, sorry if I offended anyone.

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Those are good guns. I keep a Sig P229 .4 handy. I am looking into a glock at the moment.

12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

If you don't have any experience with a Glock I'd shoot one before you look to buy. I've found the double trigger action to be a little finicky and takes some practice to master. IME the larger the caliber the more pronounced the difference.

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Jesus. Is everyone armed?

EDIT: I should clarify. No moral condemnation meant by it, I'm just legitimately surprised. I wouldn't have guessed so many people are carrying around guns at any given time.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

We have a conceal and carry law here in Minnesota, so I almost always keep either my Derringer or my Sigg P226 on me. There's some pretty scary parts of the TC.
    Obvious fakes. Those look to be similar to the fake Hermes with the price sewn into the tag. Looks like these were apparently $40. :laugh:
    Score on the Montblanc cufflinks! Women's stuff sucks. Period. Regardless of what it is. Robert Graham, Loro Piana, Brioni, Kiton, etc. I saw a women's Kiton blazer go for $40 on eBay. I found a women's Loro Piana blouse once. It went straight to the wife after seeing how they do resale wise. I guess Women just don't like buying used clothing. Doesn't make sense as the consignment shops I go to are packed with chicks.
    It was fate. :)

15. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I love this thread even more now :inlove:

Any thoughts on a H&K P2000 SK? (.40 S&W)

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hopefully getting a Springfield M1911 by Christmas, but probably won't be carrying it to the thrift shops.

17. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I have a Kimber 1911, amazing gun. But it's definitely not something I carry around :laugh:

18. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Kimber makes a good looking 1911 and overall quality is good. Last few I have put my hands on in a gun shop have had poor slide to frame fit as well as sloppy barrel lockup. Looking into another 1911 leaning toward an sti.

19. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

That's a shame. Were they recently made? I bought mine around four years ago.

20. thaddeusjames

thaddeusjames New Member

Anyone know the quality of di benedetto? I picked up a nice grey wool/cashmere jacket with the di benedetto tag at the local thrift for $12. Made in USA. I searched this site and the web a bit and only came up with a few things, but no history or idea of value / quality. Any ideas?

I also found a nice pair of Filson Wool pants that look vintage and in perfect shape for $8.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.