• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A257C07D-A697-471E-B563-C5307F62855A.jpeg
Looking for a little thread expertise.
View attachment 1111535 View attachment 1111536
All I could make out is fienes handwerk and budapest. No rush as I left them behind. Not great condition and not my size and the lines today are absurd. Don't think they are one of the big three (buday, vass, dinkelmayer) but they are triple souled and could be from a smaller budapest maker. Other shoe was less readable and no nail pattern to see. Anyway, hoping someone may recognize. Thanks

Backhand

Reaction score
Not much exciting out there except some drum hardware... I snagged the best piece a decent Yamaha cymbal stand so I can mount my secondary crash on it and take the lightweight stand its already on and use for the splash cymbal. I often prefer single braced as it is lighter. Yes the rhubarb cage in the background is available... lolz.

stand.jpg

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thriftening is really starting to get monotonous.
4 More LVC Menlo Cossack jackets, 2 More LVC Strauss Lambskin Jackets
For those of you keeping count....that's 9 Menlo Cossacks, 5 Strauss Lambskin all together now....I think.

And an assortment of LVC, LMC, and Levis x Rolling Stones jeans.
56979293399__C934A981-CEDE-435B-A7EC-E24240FA686B.JPG
56979366323__D6CA601E-545A-4499-B716-124E3C614515.JPG
IMG_0090.jpeg

sthenosall

Reaction score
I’ve been feeling incredibly low the past 2 weeks, but I’m slowly getting over the hill. The manager of one of the small stores that I’ve bought a few Barbours from came up to me and gave me this pin, she’s been saving it until I came in again. It gave me some comfort, even though it’s very small.

View attachment 1111348

The extremely high end pieces aren’t everything, sometimes it’s the little things that do the job.

I have dealt with sever anxiety and depression since I was in middle school (and my overseas deployments don't help). I don't talk about it much except to close friends and family but I do take it seriously. Most people don't know I deal with it because i'm a successful, independent, attractive (according to me...), outgoing, and intelligent person. Yet it is always there and something I struggle with on a daily basis. I'm not here to give advice or preach etc., I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I know you were interested in the green shaggy dog sweater I found late last year, PM me your address and ill get it off to you tomorrow if you still want it (cross pond shipping fees be damned!).

RFHansen

Reaction score
Any idea of what type of fur this is? On a baller Aquascutum overcoat. Doesn’t feel synthetic/fake, for whatever it’s worth, could be wrong though. Side note: as I was looking at this in the store, homeless guy comes up to me and says “That coat was made for a king. Not for you.” Then dropped the mic and walked off. I had no rebuttal.

View attachment 1111244

Bear? Not talking from expertise, just my impression of the image.

richnet12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What!? Theres a PART III? Lol..guess I need to visit more often.

RFHansen

Reaction score
To continue my streak of loud-ass vintage jackets. That's a manly lapel right there:
IMG_5554.JPG

RC... ah, that spalla camicia. Could be a keeper, but I have no use or fondness for ticket pockets:
IMG_5558.JPG

50/50 US made:
IMG_5588.JPG

I don't usually pick up much Gant (and don't brag about it when I do), but this is really nice:
IMG_5593.JPG

F 1925:
IMG_5618.JPG

EZ zu misura:
IMG_5624.JPG

Cheapo MTM by Lee Baron, not something I'd normally buy. But someone will like this near new size M jacket:
IMG_5629.JPG

The Boss:
IMG_5635.JPG

My friends at Norse Projects:
IMG_5641.JPG

Edifice, a Japanese brand. Zero interest on eBay, it seems, but nice it is:
IMG_5645.JPG

Super soft cotton with 5% cashmere:
IMG_5656.JPG

RC:
IMG_5658.JPG

More PT:
IMG_5661.JPG

Wow, these sold quickly:
IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5671.JPG

PS:
IMG_5675.JPG

Nothing fancy, but NWT and cheap enough:
IMG_5683.JPG

RFHansen

Reaction score
And now for today's Spot a Fake 101 lesson. Don't take this as the definitive guide on the topic, this is just what I have learned in the course of buying what I hoped was an Hermés bag.

I was in a crowded thrift store just after New Year. Someone nearby donates top brands. On the wall I spotted a nice-looking attaché, looked inside, and saw the Hermés silver print. I have never handled a genuine Hermés bag before, so I had no experience to go by. It was $15, and I don't know how to authenticate bags on the fly, so I took a chance on it. If I had know at the time what these bags retail for, I would probably have been more sceptical in the moment. While paying, I grabbed a genuine Liska croc belt that was near the counter, so I figured maybe the same wealthy person donated both items. After an assist by @SpooPoker and some online sleuthing, I determined that the bag is a fake. Well made by most standards, and it would pass as a fine bag from most brands, but an Hermés it is not.

Looking at it now, I can tell why it's not up to the standards one would expect from a $9000 bag. Then again, manufacturers offer fakes like this for up to $1500, I've seen them. Maybe there's a market for it, even at this price level, which seems absolutely crazy to me.

What could fool a buyer with no experience of the real thing?
A good overall impression. No obvious (to my untrained but still discerning eye) fakery. Genuine materials. Cashmere-soft suede lining, does not appear cheap at all. Clear, sharp silver transfer print, font looks correct, spelling and spacing fine. Aside from the ones by the zipper, no stitches are uneven or out of place. Fine 'waxy rubber' (what is it, really?) finishing of all edges. Good leather, soft and seems durable, totally even dyeing. If the label had said The Bridge, Paul Smith or the like instead, I would not have thought anything was amiss.

What gives it away?
No logo on the lock. The only ID marker is the silver print, which is in the wrong position and should not include the word 'sellier', but read: Hermés Paris made in France. There should be engravings, date tabs, and maker stamps with letters and digits, all of which must look impeccable, Swiss watch quality. The hardware has no precious metal stamps, which it should have. One strap rivet has grey patina, which would not occur on genuine Hermés hardware. The structure of the attache should be more rigid, this one is a bit floppy. The lining, as far as I can tell, should not be suede, but a stiffer type of leather. The original bags I have seen online do not feature a shoulder strap. Wrong zipper inside.

There's probably more red flags, and you old-timers may sniggle at my noobness, but hey, we all have to learn.

Photo analysis:

The overall impression is positive, with clean stitching and precise edge finishing. Leather appears to be good quality, but with some topological variation on the back that I'm now sure Hermés would not allow to pass:
P1080152.JPG

Pretty nice work here:
P1080153.JPG

The lock should have an Hermés Paris engraving below the keyhole. This is a standard quality lock, the hinge has a bit of wobble. I expect the genuine ones to be more like a Rolex in terms of precision and finish:
P1080154.JPG

Spoo alerted on the use of the word 'Sellier'. Also, I found no instance of it being used on this type of bag, not even other fakes. And I believe the print should be located closer to the top stitching, and the font I have seen used on these bags is not this one:
P1080155.JPG

Again, this should look cleaner, with better screws:
P1080156.JPG

The zipper tab should say 'Hermés', and it must not hang down like this one does. It should align with the zipper at all times. Also, the zipper teeth should be thicker, and I presume, of steel, brass or the like. The stitching on either end of the zipper is sloppy:
P1080157.JPG

The Depeche bag this one was modelled after does not come with a shoulder strap:
P1080158.JPG

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members