• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ instruments at thrift are few, far between, and stupid expensive around here, and i don't know that much about old violins lol...

looks like a fun rig! i hope the amp goes to 11!

I learned from Antiques Roadshow that violins might be nice to look at and appear valuable (and most of the time they are not), whereas the bows can be the real win.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TheNeedMachine

yeah i saw that episode too. the violin brought in was a real instrument of decent quality but the "stick" happened to be extraordinary.

there are a lot of bullshit production instruments around, violins, mandolins, ukuleles, etc imported in the 20s but none of them are worth a damn cause they're lousy players... you can't invest in a wall hanger generally speaking...

i've been playing guitar and mandolin for over 20 years and i like to think i can evaluate an instrument, but i can't play violin and i wouldn't know quality if it bit me on the ass... so i simply don't **** with them. too bad, because there's probably stuff i've missed but i can't be expert in every little thing, ya know?

Last edited:

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First Kiton anything. Sadly, i think it is beyond saving

I would look into having the collar replaced with a solid white fabric of similar weave. You could use the old collar as a template, and replace it that way. May not be cost feasible for a professional tailor, but would be a fun project to try and breathe life into it again.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would look into having the collar replaced with a solid white fabric of similar weave. You could use the old collar as a template, and replace it that way. May not be cost feasible for a professional tailor, but would be a fun project to try and breathe life into it again.

I still think a collar turn might be worth it. If this was true thrift, a collar turn may cost like 30-40 and be worth it, especially for personal wear. That is a good option though. That shirt would look good with a white collar.

bboowwyy

Reaction score

I still think a collar turn might be worth it. If this was true thrift, a collar turn may cost like 30-40 and be worth it, especially for personal wear. That is a good option though. That shirt would look good with a white collar.

Speaking as someone who has bought stuff based on label just to say "I finally popped on..." but it was too trashed to actually use or swap, I say - grab it, take a pic in the store, and don't buy.
Otherwise, you got some really solid items today! 

It fits me perfectly so i'm all ears for options on having the collar replaced. Unfortunately it can't be turned as Kiton shirts have the white weaving (panamaweave) on the underside of the collar.
It is fairly long, so i was thinking some fabric from the tail of the shirt could be used on the collar.
Either way, it was only the price of a big mac so i'm willing to put some money into any possible repairs.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It fits me perfectly so i'm all ears for options on having the collar replaced. Unfortunately it can't be turned as Kiton shirts have the white weaving (panamaweave) on the underside of the collar.
It is fairly long, so i was thinking some fabric from the tail of the shirt could be used on the collar.
Either way, it was only the price of a big mac so i'm willing to put some money into any possible repairs.

Damn, didn't know that. Tail fabric could work. Not sure what you are looking at cost wise on that though.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@bboowwyy depending on how deep you are into that kiton and if that collar is the only damage, it may be worth getting it turned.
Say more about this. What is this "turned" you speak of.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, okay. I think I see what you are getting at. I agree with Lectric though, this might be a good option for a banker's shirt.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Poughkeepsie!

BBGF tux sans pants though, found 2x pr of tux pants in the ladies racks, but no match. Looks like someone keeps this store clean, these must have just come out and the rest of the store didn't even have borderline fodder.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It can be a good route to go depending on the shirt. Basically they flip the collar over so that the frayed edge is unseen. It used to be used heavily in the depression and in poorer areas as it was cheaper than buying new shirts. It can be done with cuffs as well. Kind of a lost art.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So this happened...

This is what I'm supposed to be doing in med school, right?

Last edited:

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet buy ride! 650 or 1000? Love the riding position on those. Nice combo between a tourer and sport bike. Enjoy man!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sweet buy ride! 650 or 1000? Love the riding position on those. Nice combo between a tourer and sport bike. Enjoy man!

2007 SV 650S.

This is the biggest I wanted to go for my first bike. Rode a bunch in Asia this summer but most of those were 125 or so. This thing is awesome. The throttle is really forgiving and not jumpy at all. I'd die if I got a liter bike. Not going to happen for a WHILE. I also wanted a nekkid bike because you can feel the speed so you're less tempted to go stupid fast.

I got this bike under sad circumstances as the previous owners husband passed away while riding (believed to have had a heart attack and hit a parked car) so the widow was unloading everything related to bikes. This was her bike though and had less than 5k miles. I got it for 3.2k with a cover, 2 helmets, heated grips, tail bag, and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm going to have to get the seat reupholstered with foam because it's a bit too low for me with the divot she had cut. Hopefully it won't cost too much. I should have negotiated down a bit because of it, but she was so nice and gave me so much stuff that I couldn't do it. She said she has a tank bag somewhere but couldn't find it so I told them to just call me when they did.

I'm really excited!

And oh yeah, I bought armor before I picked up the bike.

Last edited:

the2ndhandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cut it into a pocket square or snip off the buttons. I always buy high end shirts if there trashed just to have every makers buttons on hand for shirts that are maybe missing some when you do find a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads