• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Kane

Reaction score
Do y'all ever find stuff in GW from people you actually know first hand? I picked up a nice Zegna jacket from someone I have known for a long time. Can't imagine I would ever mention this to him...lol. This is the second or third time finding something from a familiar person.

I once found a bespoke orphan made for the CEO of my former employer.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two estate sales and one thrift. Not the most impressive collection but everything was super cheap (coats were $5 each, ties $1 each).

Croc boots are blue
Polo shorts are for me N/A
Belvest was hanging in the women's section with the sleeves rolled up, a-la miami vice :slayer:. I only caught it because it was like 8" longer than the other jackets in the aisle.

And last, an awesome (hopefully) story of global networking.

@capnwes has a friend who lives in Virginia. She was vacationing in Tennessee, and found this jacket in a small shop She sent a pic to him in Pennsylvania, he passed, but forwarded it to me in New York. I showed it to friends in Minnesota, Osaka, and California. It was priced at $299. Its a 1943 Aero Leather B-6 Shearling. Only thing is that the zipper is broken. Nobody was sure. Someone referred me to a guy who does vintage leather repairs in Berkeley, CA. He pointed me to a guy who makes custom repros in Seattle Washington. Told me that if the zipper was fixed, it would probably be worth 900-1000.

I called the guy in Tennessee, ordered the jacket (talked down to $275, that was bottom line). Called the guy in Seattle back, and he found a website from Tokyo who had a stockpile of vintage M42 Talon zippers, deadstock from 1942-1945 - same era as the jacket. Bought the zipper ($60 shipped, not bad). Jacket came yesterday, but it had two huge holes in the collar. I called back and (after some resistance) they gave me $50 off on it, so I got the jacket for $225 and the zippers for $60. Zippers arrived from Japan today, and Monday, I send them both to the guy in Seattle to fix them. He's got an original sewing machine (single or double needle, I forget) that was the same machine that made the jackets back then. Hopefully he can fix the collar too.

Anyway, awesome networking there. I hope it works after all this effort.
This guy is amazing BTW if you ever need anything. Like, the best customer service ever.
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html

and the site if you ever need authentic vintage zippers :
http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/oversea/index.html

My friend says that he's the preeminent source in military leather - and has like a 3 year wait list to get one of his custom jackets.

this one (Aero's modern version of this original)

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=76

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Throwing up a Hail Mary on a white dinner jacket, size 41-42R. Need it within the next 2 weeks.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seersucker Saturday. All available.

3x pents from Miller Bros. of Atlanta (sort of like Sid Mashburn's lesser-known competitor in town). Blue/white (33 and 34) and sage/sand (32) seersucker.

And a Bill's yellow/white seersucker shorts, 34.

JFST

Reaction score
Someone donated their jawnz collection:
Jeans Shopx2

APC

And the star of this day Kapital Brand Kountry Jeans (38) it does look like this

NWT Steven Alan Reverse Side Pocket Shirt XL

VV Belts

BB Brookstorm Sistem Loro Piana x Lardini 44L

Crappy pic but Salmon Pink Patch Pocket Surgeon Cuffs, the Derby is over but someone big and brave can definitely rock this.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SteelGuy

Reaction score
I'm always amazed at what this group finds. And I recognize a few of your eBay stores that I've bought from recently. So I went and did some strictly amateur level estate sale purchases... I think they're OK. Especially since they're all my size.

The fuchsia shirt is linen...

And I think best of the bunch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads