1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. aging in rhythm

aging in rhythm Senior member

Bought a couple more things today. All available.

Officine Generale popover. fits me pretty well so it might end up in my wardrobe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recent, staple Hugo Hugo Boss (this is the good one, right?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

POP on Hermes. Women's cashmere turtleneck. Who has a lady friend with a cold neck?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    15 people like this.
  2. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Senior member

Just to double-check before I let this Canali go... It's a 52 it says...I usually take 50. Too big to take in? I didn't think shoulders were terrible but perhaps I'm wrong.
    Nice jacket.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. impuntura

impuntura Senior member

Not exactly.the hanger is from the selection line but the suit itself isn't.its a black label with selection in silver I think under it.

4. dukedishin

dukedishin Senior member

too big i'm afraid, @dad2bandm

1 person likes this.
  5. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Senior member

I had a spare hour today so I actually thrifted. This was the best find:

PRL cashmere and wool grey with purple windowpane 42 R. My size and fits great. But its a thick warm weather suit (soft as Hell) and I will likely never wear it. Torn...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was please that the sales lady didn't find issue with the fact that a basically brand new pair of Trafalgar suspenders was attached to the suit pants. I dig the mice and will probably keep these even if I don't keep the suit.
    [​IMG]

Also thrifted two white EZ shirts in EUC . The older one on the left fits me and is NA. The other (recent label as luck would have it) is a 16 and a size too small.
    [​IMG]
    I also came across two flannel Incotex trousers with turn ups. The tan is labelled 36. The Dark Brown is unlabelled. Both have waists about 17 1/14 to 17 1/2. I also picked up a pair of grey flannel Facconable trousers--33 waist (because it was cheap to do so).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  6. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Senior member

Thanks Dukedishin. Still looking to thrift decent Canali in my size. I was in denial. Lol.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The hand on the 92/8 PRL is awesome. So much better than the 95/5. thats a stunner of a piece and anything polo with a purple check always does well.

3 people like this.
  8. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Senior member

Tried this on again. I'll be keeping it along with the two pairs of incotex trousers. This donor is my doppelgänger. ..

9. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Depending on price-point:
    -Nice bottle of whatever kind of booze floats your boat
    -Goodwill gift cards
    -Tools
    -If you're into sports, tickets to a game
    -Books (putting "your favorite book" on a list like this can be good)
    -Gift card for massage
    -You're in Cleveland, right? Have them take you to Happy Dog and pay for everything. (it's the only place I've been to in Cleveland but I loved it)
    -Gift card to movie theater
    -Sonicare toothbrush if you don't have one. Life-changing for someone like me who never brushed long enough.
    -Donation to a charity of your choice.

3 people like this.
  10. jumpman1231

jumpman1231 Senior member

Made a lunch stop and was happy I did... I've only found two pairs of Alden before today and then I found these in one stop...
    3 x Alden one Ae and a victor with Loro cash
    [​IMG]
    The best news was they were all in good condition. Then when I went to check out the cashier looked at the bottom of the shoes and said they look a little worn how about we just do half off on all the shoes?!? Ummm yeah sure that's fair so ppu for shoes $6.5. This is why I keep stopping in those stores day after day.

15 people like this.
  11. Soselo

Soselo Member

New here, thought I'd post some of my recent finds.

Went back to my parents' over Thanksgiving and hit my old thrift haunts (I am always happy to find small e non selvedge Levi's in my size). Picked up some cheap jeans (Stephen Alan courtesy of my closet, disregard) for Buffalo/Beacon's fodder (Buffalo Exchange here loves cowboy Wranglers and dad Levi's).

[​IMG]
    Vintage Woolrich
    [​IMG]

Checked out the newer Goodwill Boutique and had some luck, Zegna and Su Mis, $20 each.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cashmere and Cashmere/Silk, same donor.

Left behind a dated pinstriped Corn with pleats and stains and a peak lapel flannel Oxxford tux (regretting that one I think), all the same donor. No sign of shoes, ties, or shirts. Almost walked out with a charcoal Kiton in a micron, surgical cuffs and all (also single vent and a 3/2 roll?) until I noticed the massive moth hole in the front. Found a Polaroid Spectra System with case as an added bonus.

Hadn't had too much luck thrifting in the city but got the itch with my fucks and had some very good luck with shoes in my size.

Mephisto ($30) and Heschung ($10):

[​IMG]

Very impressed with the quality of these. Mephisto are immaculate, barely worn.

Stopped into the dumpy looking thrift I pass everyday on a whim, Mephistos are the first thing I see. The place is very well stocked in Cashmere and Cashmere blend overcoats (labelled ones $100-200) and Italian suits (marked ones priced pretty high). There was a very nice Cashmere blend Zanella jacket (probably an orphan) in the Women's section, a bunch of Zegna Sport/Zegna Jeans/Zegna whatever jeans and cotton slacks (big sizes) as well as Diesel (some Italian; is that a thing?), new with tags Vineyard Vines cords, a boring skeet (not what I'm looking for?) and an Alexander McQueen hanger (no sign of the garment). Need to go when they aren't about to close. Will circle back for a price check Canali staple suit and Oxxford cashmere overcoat, both without price tags.

Grabbed the Heschungs off the shelf of the thrift/"Vintage"/tourist trap warehouse for $5 less than the Nikes.

[​IMG]

Less impressive personal use odds and ends (Pendleton was new with tags, Clarks NWOT). I've been living in the Pendleton.

[​IMG]

In older thrifts, here's the Golden Fleece I picked up for my dad, which was too heavy for Florida and he ended up losing weight, so reclaimed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mom picked up the Oxxford at a yard sale years ago, 100% cashmere, herringbone, in my (somewhat hard to find) size. Corduroy is vintage Brooks from my old man.

[​IMG]

These Italian Florsheims aren't real exotics, correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are these (destroyed) shell Aldens I left behind? No visible mark or label inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gloverall missing the toggles

[​IMG]

Nomme De Guerre Red Wings with destroyed tongues

[​IMG]

Maker check on this suit?

[​IMG]

Walking home in the rain tonight, stopped in a boutique thrift, picked up these in my size, swapped out my Nikes, problem solved.

[​IMG]

Hat (Not Pictured) Chinatown Dollar Store
    Top (Not Pictured) Reigning Champ crew, Buffalo Exchange
    Coat, Air Force M65, Salvation Army
    Jeans, Black USA 501s, Salvation Army
    Shoes, LL Bean Duck Mocs, Housing Works

Loved reading the threads, I owe you all a great deal of thanks for sharing your experience so freely.

15 people like this.
  12. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

This might be my very first post in this thread? I usually check whatever post is top rated for the day since that's always fun, but don't really thrift much personally

Anyway, I did find this last week for a mere ~25$, only issue was that the buttons had been moved to make more room but it was like 10$ to revert and fix that.
    More or less like new condition with fur-lined body and collar, buttery soft suede and wooden buttons

18 people like this.
  13. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

There's a cream for that I believe.

7 people like this.
  14. thebuddahman

thebuddahman Senior member

Just realised whilst out with my daughter that I'm in a thrift fit. Excuse the bullshit photography...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SuSu Jacket w/LP rain system - ethrift
    Layered North Face fleece - thrift
    Uniqlo LS Grey Tee - thrift
    J Brand Jeans - thrift
    Lanvin brown calf sneakers - bought from @TinderStick

Pram is a 2015 iCandy All Terrain - it was new and fucking expensive...as kids are.

8 people like this.
  15. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

@Soselo, those are definitely Alden shell LHSs. Depending on price and whether they were my size, I might buy and send them back to the factory for restoration.

16. Soselo

Soselo Member

@turkey_sandwich I don't know if you can see it, but there's a nasty rip on the vamp. If it was just the ugliness around the ankle I would go for it, as they fit perfectly. Can't complain!

17. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Ya Boss Selection is the good stuff and is like what you described. Replaced the boss baldessarini. The red label is their fashion forward Hugo line. Generally aimed towards younger people and a little cheaper than black label but at thrift prices should flip okay.

1 person likes this.
  18. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

@Soselo the maker of the suit is Joseph Abboud if my memory serves me right.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. Soselo

Soselo Member

@A Guy From Shanghai Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  20. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.