• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
So both of these are under the 1% rule...

Jean Shop Distressed Unlined Suede Trucker Jacket

1zfr0qh.jpg

pu6j8.jpg

Louis Vuitton Boite A Tout Jewelry Trunk

24pdu2x.jpg

2z5niwg.jpg

tysec.jpg

Ahem... http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Louis-...860114?hash=item2107632a12:g:6xAAAOSwZ1lWd5YB

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to reorganize, so not enough time to photo everything. I went out looking for more Laura Piano today. Didn't find her, but found a few of her Italian cousins. I am hoping these are all SCs. I didn't find pants and was there until the warehouse staff left.

If you busted out your inspector gadget kit, I think you will be able to figure out if that Zegna is an orphan or a sport coat, all on your own. After you figure it out, know that any tag made after that one, to present day, informs you as well.

W/ the Corn, with that fabric comp, it's a SC. 1% Cash, 5%, 10% Cash, those are usually the amounts of cashmere seen in suits when there is Cashmere in the construction. That or of course 100%. Higher than that and the life of the suit is greatly diminished, while the price goes up, thus why only top tier brands are seen making suits of 100% Cash. 20% is high and for Corneliani, most likely nothing they attempted. Not their game, thus a sport coat.

New Canali tags have the pants and jacket size next to each other so they made it easy, however this model they didnt start doing that yet. Your pic doesn't show much, however the faint pencil windowpane isn't a good sign.

If you'd like a fairly straightforward guide as to determining whether a jacket is an orphan or not, PM me.

jumpman1231

Reaction score
Well in kc I've really never had any thrift battle issues. The only problem I run into is it seems like nearly every time I go into a store a fellow forum member is either coming or going also let alone the other regulars. It's pretty crazy how often I come across everyone. But yet still always seems to have enough for mcrib and then the rest of us to pick up scraps on the lucky days ha!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you busted out your inspector gadget kit, I think you will be able to figure out if that Zegna is an orphan or a sport coat, all on your own. After you figure it out, know that any tag made after that one, to present day, informs you as well.

W/ the Corn, with that fabric comp, it's a SC. 1% Cash, 5%, 10% Cash, those are usually the amounts of cashmere seen in suits when there is Cashmere in the construction. That or of course 100%. Higher than that and the life of the suit is greatly diminished, while the price goes up, thus why only top tier brands are seen making suits of 100% Cash. 20% is high and for Corneliani, most likely nothing they attempted. Not their game, thus a sport coat.

New Canali tags have the pants and jacket size next to each other so they made it easy, however this model they didnt start doing that yet. Your pic doesn't show much, however the faint pencil windowpane isn't a good sign.

If you'd like a fairly straightforward guide as to determining whether a jacket is an orphan or not, PM me.

Already figured out the Zegna, thanks to help from Penny & Brain. :slayer: Now onto catching Dr. Claw!

Figured the 20% cashmere indicated SC.

Considering these are all from the donation, they're all windowpane, and this particular store has a pretty good track record of matching suits and SCs, I'm inclined to say they're all SCs. The patterns ALL looked like suiting to me, which is why I stayed so long hoping for pants.

I was there hovering until the warehouse shut down and the staff left. I watched 4-5 racks of new men's stuff come out. The pants never came out, so either someone snagged the pants before I got there, they're in another bag that hasn't been processed, they weren't donated, or they don't exist.

Here's the best pic I have of the Canali. Coat is more brownish than it looks. Brown corozo buttons.

PM will be coming shortly.

Last edited:

winny94

Reaction score
Would these be easily resoleable? I'm hard on rubber soles so I doubt these would make past 12-14 months

dad2bandm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying to reorganize, so not enough time to photo everything. I went out looking for more Laura Piano today. Didn't find her, but found a few of her Italian cousins. I am hoping these are all SCs...

The Zegna label shows the Drop measurement, so I thought that meant it was orphan jacket.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Zegna label shows the Drop measurement, so I thought that meant it was orphan jacket.

Look at the bottom left of the Zegna material tag. It denotes "jacket". If it's a suit it will say "suit". Easy tell on Zegna's.

thebuddahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fake. Bape always have these Nowhere Co. Ltd. company address and phone numbers on them. Actually, all the Japanese pieces I've handled all have either phone numbers, address, or at least their company logo. Also, compare the outline of the ape to this tag. Noticed the difference? That's another quick and dirty way to tell if it's real when in the field. But the new AAPE stuff no longer belongs to Nowhere. I think it's tagged IT? Not sure. I always pass on those. Found a pair of selvedge once but it was AAPE and not OG Bape. Pass unless that was a mistake... Pass. I might pick it up for $5. But prolly will pass. Oh yeah, not LVC.
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate the knowledge too as it's the first one I've come across in the wild. Glad I trusted my instincts initially.

Deedz

Reaction score
Already figured out the Zegna, thanks to help from Penny & Brain.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Now onto catching Dr. Claw!

Figured the 20% cashmere indicated SC.

Considering these are all from the donation, they're all windowpane, and this particular store has a pretty good track record of matching suits and SCs, I'm inclined to say they're all SCs. The patterns ALL looked like suiting to me, which is why I stayed so long hoping for pants.

I was there hovering until the warehouse shut down and the staff left. I watched 4-5 racks of new men's stuff come out. The pants never came out, so either someone snagged the pants before I got there, they're in another bag that hasn't been processed, they weren't donated, or they don't exist.

Here's the best pic I have of the Canali. Coat is more brownish than it looks. Brown corozo buttons.

PM will be coming shortly.
The Canali is an orphan. Under Modello it has AL 13220/32. A jacket separate wouldn't have the /32 on the end or it would just be /00. The /32 corresponds to something with the pants. That doesn't mean it can't be worn as a sport coat.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would these be easily resoleable? I'm hard on rubber soles so I doubt these would make past 12-14 months

Generally speaking, there are resoleable shoes and there aren't, the process and cost is the same across the board, difficulty plays no part, it's all the same...Specifically with these, if you let Rubber soles survive for 14 months then these shoes will have a 14 month life span. These are not goodyear welted soles, they are not stitched, that heel is just glued rubber designed to look stacked. Essentially, no, resoling them won't be easy, it will be impossible. The uppers are glued to the rubber soles.

I hope you haven't been using this rule to judge because if you look at almost any blazer out there, notably except the Zegna tags from 04-15, most have a drop. Actually not Brioni, but all others, you will see a drop. Don't know why or how they determine a drop number for an umatched jacket, but it's there, so no this is definitely not a good way to tell.

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Canali is an orphan. Under Modello it has AL 13220/32. A jacket separate wouldn't have the /32 on the end or it would just be /00. The /32 corresponds to something with the pants. That doesn't mean it can't be worn as a sport coat.
What would the 32 be in reference to? Definitely not the pants size, the drop has them at a 37. Either way, I never saw the full pic, you're absolutely correct, it's definitely an orphan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads