• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, what's with the RLPL obsession? How did that get picked over other labels?

Not really an obsession, I just rather like the clothing. :) more so that other high end labels.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who was it that found the Haliburton cases? They just released some "limited edition vintage edition" ones for $1200

That was me. I found quite a few of them. In fact, I have two LARGE Haliburtons that are the gold color that sells the highest. I really need to list the damn things.

If anyone finds one of the Halliburton Zero Briefcases (not the small suitcase), please let me know! I want one!

By the way, that thing is great!

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense for group thrifting. I just wondered because I thrift with my brother a lot but we wear different sizes and we both just consign with snoogz so we share all the costs and commissions 50/50 and it makes the whole experience way fun... However if he were my size or we didn't share the consigning part I don't think I could say yeah take the suits I'll look through these shirts and then see him pull a nice suit that would have fit me... Even like seeing your lists and you go 9 etro shirts to 0 just bc it was your turn for shirts at that store? Impressive to be good with your set up however it works.... awesome you have it worked out to go together bc it's a blast thrifting with my bro!
If the intentions for the clothing is the same for both parties involved, or you thrift the same stuff, or both earn a sizable or more living from thrifting, it can be tricky. I didn't know how I was gonna handle it with the 2.5 days I did out here when @Cj52racers was here, cuz we're both about the ROI and those margins, but I found the easiest fix to the solution and that's just if someone has an excellent stop, you let the other one take the reigns until they catch up. Like roughly 4 stops into our first day I pulled 2 3 piece TF suits, a silk TF blazer, 2 TF slacks, Brioni Wool/silk blend suit, and a Helmut Lang Italy overcoat pure cashmere that was actually found by Chris but it would take up too much room in his bag, so he passed it. So with that score I was needless to say, feeling fairly content, so I then just fell back and played the wall and just sorta thrifted his wake or sections I don't really hit that hard, the rest of the time, and suddenly he's literally pulling gucci suits off racks before I have 2 feet in the shop, and I think we got his expenses covered in full by about mid day, the first day, on the route I planned. Someone does good, let the other guy try and catch you, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do that ****, no way.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of women's scarves. I see them all the time. Every thrift and LOTS of them at estate sales. I always look foolishly thinking that I will find Hermes. I never do. But, like a crack addict, I go back each time. The only scarves I find are

ECHO
Mary Kay
Anne Klein
Avon
and very rarely I'll find Ralph Lauren.

Most of the time they are either no name or polyester. Which womens' scarves are worth thrifting other than Hermes and the obvious other ones like Gucci, Dior, YSL (the good kind), Cuccinelli, etc. I mean if I see any of the big names, I know to buy it. But, am I missing out on women's scarves in terms of lesser known brands that I might actually find?
Older YSL's don't move for ****, just Rive Gauche line does, I wouldn't bother if it's labeled anything else, unless obviously if it's SLP (except I believe they still use YSL initials for their accerssories currently, at least for bags they do so I dunno),. Also Pucci I hope has been on your radar, Ferragamo, Chanel, etc... when you cross paths with a truly nice piece of silk you'll know it. And if it's a sought after Parisian or Italian design house, you get it too. I've found nice ones from sorta-slightly lesser known labels like Balenciaga, Bally, Iceberg, Gianfranco Ferre, etc.. quality print or quality name you'll know it, just hope it's on the same piece of high quality silk.

Edit: Also look out for equestrian themed ones, if you spot some equestrian themed silk, whether it's a tie or a 40x40 piece of fabric, it's probably worth something, Equestrian themed ones do well, of course they do much better when this theme is printed on high quality silk, and a designer name helps a ton also.

Edit #2: Have an RN lookup website saved in your phones web browser, because sometimes the tags are removed but the small 100% Silk , Made in ___ and an RN # tag are still attached. I think it was my huge burberry one was proven to be so using this method. I could tell it was obviously Burberry but they don't label their scarfs on the silk itself, so other measures were taken to verify.

Last edited:

Pierson v Post

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this jacket with Loro Piana wool, but I can't find info about "Bianchi Moda". Is it worth picking up or is the Loro Piana name not worth it here?

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was me. I found quite a few of them. In fact, I have two LARGE Haliburtons that are the gold color that sells the highest. I really need to list the damn things.

If anyone finds one of the Halliburton Zero Briefcases (not the small suitcase), please let me know! I want one!

By the way, that thing is great!

I picked up a plain black Zero in Dec - it's labeled as a camera case tho.

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went back for the HF but it was gone. Oh well. Not a complete waste. I did find a beyond gorgeous Tom James tie

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a pretty good day and one flat out boss find.

Alden.

Varvatos mainline vest (wool/cashmere/camel). T Baker linen. RLPL. Eton linen.

Lewis Creek English made waxed cotton.

Womens Burberrys trench. Made in England. Liners, thought latch, all the good ****.

Really dope Brooks Brothers Outerwear Mac Cruiser style coat.

Outdoorsman starter pack. Beretta. Filson. Woolrich.
And this...

Roughly 70x50 or so of pure cashmere blanketry

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ SHOUT OUT to this guy for a sweet proxy deal AND including two ties. MAN OH MAN.

And @Cj52racers , if those Aldens are an 8.5ish ....

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah a little. We knock out way more stores in a day together than I ever do solo so it evens out. Plus on a 600 mile road trip the company is awesome.

Woa, that's like bromance type of mileage.
Bro, that's RLPL, right? Also brodeetz on them kittens!

I found this jacket with Loro Piana wool, but I can't find info about "Bianchi Moda". Is it worth picking up or is the Loro Piana name not worth it here?

Pass and never ever look at it again.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I guess this week's brag post will have to come in pieces. Here are the non-St. John women's long coats I picked up.

I'm most interested in hearing about the first one. Will it flip? (I can return it.) 100% cashmere PRL "purple label" belted trench-style coat. It certainly makes a statement.

100% cashmere Fleurette for Neimen Marcus long coat w/ belted back. (Resale looks good.)

Vintage Brooks Brothers women's bridge coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads