• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get an email from Styleforum about what to wear to an interview.

This raises some questions for me:

1. What does SF know that I don’t? Why do I need to prepare for interview? (I played golf this weekend in a County Bar Association tournament and beat both of my bosses who are defending champion(s). Are they pissed?)

2. The email suggests the following conservative and understated pieces:

Canali Suit
Brioni Tie
Ferragamo Belt
Charvet Pocket Square

I guess they forgot the EG oxfords to complete this budget minded interview suit.

2. Who the hell is wearing this outfit to an interview? Are they interviewing for CEO?

3. If anyone actually wore these pieces to an entry or mid level position, it would have to be a thrifter to afford this!

Hmmm...I interviewed last week. It was a hundred and nine degrees outside. I changed out of a blue suit and wore a cotton navy Bedford, white shirt, blue Stafford tie, and some gray pants from JCrew. My three interviewers wore polos and oversized khakis.

chpartisan

Reaction score
On the fence about returning this. $200 at Nordstrom Rack:

View attachment 1011042

How's the fit?

View attachment 1011041

Maybe a bit snug in the waist. Also, a tad long in the body? (Could be the angle of the shot playing tricks). Jacket looks nice though I'd have a hard time with figuring out combinations

Maybe someone with more sartorial savvy will chime in

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rose04

Reaction score
After a five+ year hiatus, caused by two moves, work, and life. I've been slowly trying to get backup to speed with this thread. Where I live good finds are few and far between, but the fun of the search is real. Three estate sales in the last few weeks have been very good to me though.

Most is from one sale, from a guy who was at best a clothes hoarder. He had an assortment of quality -- everything from Jos A Bank to Loro Piana.
Shoes are from two different sales.

DSC_0223.JPG

Everything you see is my size and NA. The Aldens will need to be resoled, everything else is in good shape. I've been looking for a pair of Chelsea and Jodhpur boots for a long time, so I'm pretty excited to have found both at once.

Can anyone tell me the maker of the Polo shoes?

Loro Piana Cashmere Roadmaster sweater (my size!), along with a Brooks Brothers camel hair, and Maus & Hoffman cardigan (both not pictured).
DSC_0213.JPG

Ray-ban Diamond Hard Outdoorsman sunglasses and Serengeti Drivers. The Diamond Hards are a thing right?
DSC_0211.JPG

Three pairs of cashmere lined gloves, two from Brooks Brothers. Perfect timing, my old par was falling apart.
DSC_0224.JPG

Kiton and Versace ties. @SpooPoker are the ones Versace anything? If so, you may be seeing them if I can get my act together and go to the post office.
DSC_0214.JPG

RRL Vest, Gloverall Duffle Coat (I've wanted one of these for a long time!), and partially lined Brooks Brothers made in Italy coat with beautiful Loro Piana fabric. The BB is a little too big, but I'm going to see if I can have a tailor take it in.
DSC_0197.JPG
DSC_0206.JPG
DSC_0207.JPG
DSC_0209.JPG

John Partridge raincoat for my wife from Swain Adeney in London. (I used to walk by Swain, Adeney, and Brigg all the time when I worked in the UK. This was a fun find).
DSC_0220.JPG
DSC_0221.JPG

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m working to organize my closet after moving a lot of my clothes to the new house. I think I need to expand my taste beyond blue and white shirts (or some version of striped white/blue).

D9055517-8D5F-4749-89CF-EA0387BC9BD7.jpeg

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kiton and Versace ties. @SpooPoker are the ones Versace anything? If so, you may be seeing them if I can get my act together and go to the post office.

Definitely a thing!

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I been trying out new things and pushing boundaries. I went to storage auctions and spent 40$ on a locker. The lessons I learned are invaluable, pay close attention if your interested in copping a unit.
Let me start by saying “storage wars” is fake, the auctions are not intimidating and are CHEAP. I paid 40$ for my unit and I could of done better but I’ll get back to that. I been buying off the storage buyers forever content to cherry pick and finesse them for the stuff I want, they get money, I get money, we eat. The storage buyers are bitter tweakers. They know I know, I know they know I know. They try to tax now, they got comfortable and figured I’m **** out of luck if I don’t pay. I’m pretty resourceful and don’t rely on tweakers anyway. I took ****** to the storage auctions and sent a message to the buyers, your not special. Honestly, they don’t know **** and there’s a reason these dicks are buying units, if it wasn’t for phones with internet these dinosaurs would go extinct. Units are basically work, and each one is a job. How nice the unit determines your job. How good you are at handling a large influx of **** is really all it is. Basically a hauling vehicle, storage area and place to vend is all you need. Having lil helpers to boss around is not a must but really, they pay for themselves if your doing **** correctly. I spent 40$ on the Unit, 80$ for the Uhaul van, 35$ for swap meet ticket, paid helpers total of 40$ for some disposal at the unit and help unloading and loading. 195$ total invested. Upon first inspection, I had a packed unit. There was signs of habitation, I learned you want to avoid that, I had to dispose of various bio hazards I will not detail here. The person had a well worn motor and pestle, must of been a pill junkie, the opioid epidemic is real. Lost friends to it, some still living. Explains living situation and loss of unit and belongings. So, my initial inspection is favorable, the thing is dirty and lots of bunk **** but mixed with “mantiques” and clothing. Shortlist, vintage wooden named crate, various electronic accessories new condition with tons of new cables, sacks of clothing, tools, hard drives(I’m tossing em, I’m wary of CP) kids stuff. Lots of resaleble junk. Bad things are, dude put a **** load of marble and granite in that *****, I’m skinny AF but I’m a man and ****, still, it was ******* not cool loading that **** and I curse the tweaker for keeping that ****. Various unwieldy tweaker prizes nobody should keep I had to dispose of, roll of carpet, not the carpet, the cardboard tube you roll it around (******) and a ******* magazine rack. I looted his shelving and tables for myself. I got a whole retinue of nice tables to vend in the damn locker. I chose a swap meet I could dump at, basically I showed up, unloaded the **** sat around and got paid around 600$, took the very best **** and left at 11:30. I’ll picture some of the **** I withheld later. Includes coinage and other semi valuables. I could of paid a 1$ for the unit, nobody else wanted to lift the granite or clean the biohazard. My dumb ass threw 40$ out, they start at 100$ btw. The most expensive unit bid under 200$, it was neatly packed, twice as large and full of labeled boxes from a orderly upscale household.
Anyway, I scraped the bags of clothes, 10 garbage bags full, 9 of em were the most sour, sweaty, funky B.O. smelling t shirts from 2009, polo clothes, but mildew and moldy and plain. And when I think I can stands no more, I find the dress clothes bag. I was seriously exhausted and hurriedly snapped these, excuse them until I post better ones.
93473953-4B30-432D-8C91-5C8EBDA5F26C.jpeg
3303FCB6-B359-4CC7-AB36-E36915A12383.jpeg
334F0874-A27F-4C97-8FD4-5BE287E1353F.jpeg
7F701ADC-0294-4C0C-8642-14890E0761CE.jpeg
4A648C5E-7E7F-4EAE-AECC-4F1AC12E6E4A.jpeg
2C352ED2-3DD3-436D-AFD7-64C12461722A.jpeg
92B9CCFF-FD73-4A29-B532-FA8BB2852CC9.jpeg
EE2C0E12-F983-45E0-A04B-68F5CE0EE316.jpeg
26AF37CB-C759-4D8E-9B82-ADC41FDB0703.jpeg
52639FD7-ECE6-47B6-B62A-C8CE641595EE.jpeg

This is the **** I was excited enough to picture but I just felt busy and saw so much ****..... one sack contains all white Paul Fredrick shirts, like 100 or something, but moldy..... I tossed 5 Lilly dache ties. There’s more Bullock & jones too....
the DIOR is not from unit, I bought that from a lady who bought a unit. Red clutch is CELINE.

2441B88B-52D6-4D89-A252-C58074890BA4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads