• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I was actually going to ask if those funny interesting graphic tees actually sell? I find stuff like that ALL the time.

What sort of vintage T shirts are worth getting?

No they don't sell, leave em :)
Seriously, Don't pay over 5$ for em (UNLESS THEY ARE GOOD). I bought all the ones I posted in a rucksack for incredibly stupid low. I get 20$ for them typically, but some I get obscene prices I won't repeat here. Its funny what Jompso said is what I feel about suits. You guys have no clue how easy it is to store a shirt instead of a sport coat. EVERYONE wear's T shirts, Not so many folks dress in suits nowadays....... keep in mind, im plugged into the game over here..... Im in a different reality when it comes to this stuff, Folks I sell too understand OLD SHIRTS, and have a SOPHISTICATED taste developed for these thing's. The intricacies of Necktags, fabric content, Age, What Genre shirt ETC Is WAYYYY DEEPER than you realize, and folks are hip to this **** more and more now. I sell torn up yellow HANES shirts from 40 years ago I pulled from a "**** heap" and folks buy them from me and often, they are VERY well to do folks......

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't grab unless you have an immediate plan for them. If your wearing them, sending them to spoo, selling, etc.. but don't just start grabbing vintage t-shirts, you will strongly regret it. One day youll be sitting down looking at a huge pile of cotton that isn't worth the trouble to post, not something you can or would wear and isn't an XL so it can't go to spoo, so what you really have is a stack of cash staring you in the face, cluttering up your home and taunting you with a constant reminder you essentially just flushed that **** down the toilet. Always be sure of what you cop and know its final destination before you do. Before long your living under vintage tees and using london fog trenches as blankets cuz you cant find your bedroom

Ok. Well, I'm confused about vintage t shirts. I get that old band or concert Tees would be cool. And I have found some really cool old Harley t shirts that did really well. But, what other styles/subject matter is worth picking up?

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. Well, I'm confused about vintage t shirts. I get that old band or concert Tees would be cool. And I have found some really cool old Harley t shirts that did really well. But, what other styles/subject matter is worth picking up?

Old band and concert tees can bring some serious cash. It seems that the more random the subject matter, the more interest that it generates.

bboowwyy

Reaction score

I happen to have a gray Dior suit from the Hedi days, 2006 to be exact, the lucky part for you is that it was also a strictly for Japan release, everything matches spot on. No stripper ******* to be seen here, legit for sure.

FYI, the "only for Japan" refers to the care/washing instructions and is on most Dior items.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

whtbf3.jpg

I mean, I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Where's The Beef shirt for like $30-$40, so who knows.... :foo:

Jompso, I lol'd at your post....it's funny because it's true. But I agree, I think it's best for me to just check etsy, rather than look for the kinda specific things I'm looking for. Otherwise, the scads of almosts (Hawaii shirts, Billabong tanks from the 80s) start to look mighty appealing, and even at $2, are a needless drain on the wallet and the closet space.

On the other hand, if PLaydice would just ID the Asian market that soaks up these tees.... :happy:

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No they don't sell, leave em
smile.gif

Seriously, Don't pay over 5$ for em (UNLESS THEY ARE GOOD). I bought all the ones I posted in a rucksack for incredibly stupid low. I get 20$ for them typically, but some I get obscene prices I won't repeat here. Its funny what Jompso said is what I feel about suits. You guys have no clue how easy it is to store a shirt instead of a sport coat. EVERYONE wear's T shirts, Not so many folks dress in suits nowadays....... keep in mind, im plugged into the game over here..... Im in a different reality when it comes to this stuff, Folks I sell too understand OLD SHIRTS, and have a SOPHISTICATED taste developed for these thing's. The intricacies of Necktags, fabric content, Age, What Genre shirt ETC Is WAYYYY DEEPER than you realize, and folks are hip to this **** more and more now. I sell torn up yellow HANES shirts from 40 years ago I pulled from a "**** heap" and folks buy them from me and often, they are VERY well to do folks......
This is an issue of whether you give a **** about them in the first place and appreciate the novelty, enjoy the history, collect them, wear them, and/or respect/capitalize off the rarity. I couldn't tell an authentic original tour shirt from a target repo, but I can tell you exactly what parts of a suit were done by hand, fabric composition and even possibly wool measurements, if it's fused, half canvassed or full canvassed, what seasons its weight makes it appropriate for, every single part of the entire anatomy of a suit, down to the button (I read my Savile Row book a lot). I can date almost all common suit brands to the 90s, and menswear store/habadasher contracted suits, to the turn of the century and can tell you which Union they were made under as well. Why can I do these things? Because I love these things. Solely by a piece of paper in the inner pocket of the jacket, ANY jacket, I can tell you exactly which tailoring house constructed that suit, and that goes for. any. tag. And that's not just current, That goes for every old model and the older one after that one as well. No reference guide or cheat sheet, strictly from memory and constant and consistent exposure and reading. I then sell these goods to buyers for fees far greater than I paid for them because I am able to market them in a manner in which they are being described by a professional, because that's what I do, and what I am. If I started to carry vintage tee shirts my followers would wonder what the **** is wrong with me, I lose the faith and trust I've built with my repeat clients, and the brand image/store image I've been creating would be fucked. I'm not knocking your passion, but it goes both ways, it's whatever shoe fits you and your grind better. And for the record, I haven't walked out of my house with just a t-shirt on in probably years...it just depends on the person and who your customer is....also storing **** is the easy part, knowing where you stored it 2 days later is where the hard part comes in and thumbing garment racks may be slightly less messy a task than digging in a Goodwill sized crate worth of vintage cotton...or maybe you got a system..

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, finally hit a legitimately amazing thrift haul. Will try and grab some nice pictures this week instead of just potatoes.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, the "only for Japan" refers to the care/washing instructions and is on most Dior items.
So they felt it was necessary to state in English that the following Japanese is only for Japan? And I don't believe it's on MOST Dior labels, this suiting ID tag yes, but I've handled numerous other DH Suits from pre and post Hedi and it depends on the release year and manufacturer. I've also owned a far share of DH as well, I've only seen it on my suit and that image a few posts up, because that jacket is from 07 and mine is from 06 and they didn't change manufacturing and product id labels those consecutive years. But hey maybe I just wasn't paying attention, who knows.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, finally hit a legitimately amazing thrift haul. Will try and grab some nice pictures this week instead of just potatoes.

post the potatoes man. Everyone appreciates HD pr0n, but sometimes that grainy, hairy bush VHS pr0n is the one you're looking for. :hide:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had any success combating heel slippage on loafers? I'm thinking of using those little pads that go on the tongue and the heel. Has anybody done this before?

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anybody had any success combating heel slippage on loafers? I'm thinking of using those little pads that go on the tongue and the heel. Has anybody done this before?
Yes! I have all kinds of trouble with loafers. They rarely fit out of the box. I guess I just haven't found my last, but i have had good luck with both toungue and heal pads to make them fit better. And if you ever need to take them off, goo gone or other citrus oil based sticky removers do well without causing damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members