• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoewizz

Reaction score
Thank you. Your link is to the exact shoe trees I was talking about. (Curiously some have the plaque and some don't.) The quality of the cedar is higher than AE or JAB. Very smooth; sanded; stronger aroma; absence of chips, cracks, holes, and other imperfections that characterize the lower grade of trees.

I have always suspected that certainly re-brands, like Nordstrom Rack, have some sort of contract with Woodlore to get lower quality pieces for a better price. I have seen people complain that the basic trees they get from Nordstrom Rack / Jos A Bank have come with large cracks in them.

Quote:
Great price. @Chawk806 this is basically the best price you will find for these. Definitely better than what you will find in-store.

starro

Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, does anyone have a good idea on "filling out" the heels on the AE type shoe trees? I am stuck with a few pairs like those and I want to make their heels the round "Ultra" shapes that can actually fill the shoe. IMO that's their only functional disadvantage relative to the Ultra split toe.

As more shoe tree trivia come to me, do not buy shoe trees from Nordstrom Rack. I have a pair, and they have very bad quaity: bad springs, mishapen "horizontal" plates that can cause problems, etc.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that bit of intel on the "twin turbo". I've seen that configuration, they seem always to be priced slightly above the split toe, so I never tried them. Do they even use springs?

I own a few of the twin-turbo shoe trees. There is a spring in there, although I find it not as strong as the basic model. The drawback of twin-turbo models is that they don't fit "perfectly." I find the front part too big for some shoes so it doesn't fill the toe area.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's worth noting that spit toe trees are often adjustable, via screws at the sides. These can make a lot of difference in terms of fit. Forever yours, Munky.

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have always suspected that certainly re-brands, like Nordstrom Rack, have some sort of contract with Woodlore to get lower quality pieces for a better price. I have seen people complain that the basic trees they get from Nordstrom Rack / Jos A Bank have come with large cracks in them.

Great price. @Chawk806 this is basically the best price you will find for these. Definitely better than what you will find in-store.
Awesome. I'll be online today. Thanks guys

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you. Your link is to the exact shoe trees I was talking about. (Curiously some have the plaque and some don't.) The quality of the cedar is higher than AE or JAB. Very smooth; sanded; stronger aroma; absence of chips, cracks, holes, and other imperfections that characterize the lower grade of trees.

Thank you for that bit of intel on the "twin turbo". I've seen that configuration, they seem always to be priced slightly above the split toe, so I never tried them. Do they even use springs?

I'm not sure the Meermin is necessarily an upgrade. One, it's 2x the price of the Cedar Elements, and I highly doubt it's 2x more effective. And two I would argue that a two-piece toe makes for a better fitting non-lasted tree than a solid piece. Also keep in mind the difference between cedar and beech.

FYI,
the split toe Cedar Elements are $30 for 2 pairs: https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Elements-Split-Toe-Trees-Large/dp/B00LV3QE96/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485399571&sr=8-3&keywords=cedar+elements+shoe+tree
the twin tubes are $36 for 2 pairs: https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Elements-Twin-Tube-Trees/dp/B00LV4HIV8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1485399571&sr=8-5&keywords=cedar+elements+shoe+tree

Allen Edmonds has a lifetime guarantee on their shoe trees, if that means anything to you. If any break on you, you can exchange in store any time.
Hey I checked the two links at Amazon this morning and they are both very nice. Just need to decide on the size large or XL? My shoes range from a size 11 to size 12. All fit me te same. Would XL be best to ensure a tight fit? Different trees for boots?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question. I was watching a video of a Japanese guy and he uses quite a lot of different brushes. But there is one which he uses at the end of the whole process that has some white hairs, I think I saw in a part of the video that is a swine brush. He uses a touch of water and brush the shoe.

My question is... which brushes do you use? I usually stay with horse hair but then I finish the shoe, I don't brush it cause the hair leaves the mirror shine like some twirls in the shoe.

starro

Reaction score
Hey I checked the two links at Amazon this morning and they are both very nice. Just need to decide on the size large or XL? My shoes range from a size 11 to size 12. All fit me te same. Would XL be best to ensure a tight fit? Different trees for boots?

They should have a reference chart that links shoe size to tree size. Does it put you in the L or XL range? If you are between the two ranges, I'd try both. Both are likely to fit your shoes, some a little better than others, so it would really help if you have both sizes to try. For reference, I am 8.5D, but can go +/- half size. Both the M and the S fit well. Bottom line: if you are between sizes, get both for the versatility.

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They should have a reference chart that links shoe size to tree size. Does it put you in the L or XL range? If you are between the two ranges, I'd try both. Both are likely to fit your shoes, some a little better than others, so it would really help if you have both sizes to try. For reference, I am 8.5D, but can go +/- half size. Both the M and the S fit well. Bottom line: if you are between sizes, get both for the versatility.
Thsnks Starro. I'll place the order today. Awesome
1f600.png
1f600.png

narcosis219

Reaction score

Question. I was watching a video of a Japanese guy and he uses quite a lot of different brushes. But there is one which he uses at the end of the whole process that has some white hairs, I think I saw in a part of the video that is a swine brush. He uses a touch of water and brush the shoe. 

My question is... which brushes do you use? I usually stay with horse hair but then I finish the shoe, I don't brush it cause the hair leaves the mirror shine like some twirls in the shoe.

I believe the Japanese scene uses goat hair brushes with drops of water for post mirror shine brushing. Never tried it myself

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the Japanese scene uses goat hair brushes with drops of water for post mirror shine brushing. Never tried it myself

I use brushes made of hair from a unicorn's neck and drops of angel sweat to bring up a shine. Sincerely yours, M.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads