• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to speak about the wonderful customer service experience I received from Horween Leather. After hearing that @Munky spoke with a member of the Horween family when he contacted Horween about a leather issue, I went ahead and did the same: calling up the Chicago tannery directly yesterday afternoon.

After speaking with Tyler on the phone, he transferred me over to Skip Horween himself. Skip was busy at the moment and I sent him a voice mail. Not but 30 minutes later, Skip had called me back, and listened to my shell cordovan woes that I've detailed here and elsewhere. We spoke for ten minutes on my problems and some friendly conversation, when he told me to e-mail him some pictures so he could suggest what he would do to handle my cracking cordovan. I sent him those pictures.

This morning, at 7 am, Skip got back to me and gave his best advice on what I could do to salvage my pair: sadly, it doesn't seem like anything will work beyond merely aesthetically covering up the problems my shoes have. Given they are torn in multiple places, I think I am going to now see if @DavidLane can help me by turning them into watchstraps, but I still appreciated this personal care from the president of Horween leather co.

Horween, you live up to your reputation as the finest tannery in America, and one of the finest tanneries in the entire world.

They are truly a fabulous company that is dedicated to helping lovers of their products maintain and repair their beautiful leather. I will always look for products made from their tannery whenever I have the option available to do so.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to speak about the wonderful customer service experience I received from Horween Leather. After hearing that @Munky spoke with a member of the Horween family when he contacted Horween about a leather issue, I went ahead and did the same: calling up the Chicago tannery directly yesterday afternoon.

After speaking with Tyler on the phone, he transferred me over to Skip Horween himself. Skip was busy at the moment and I sent him a voice mail. Not but 30 minutes later, Skip had called me back, and listened to my shell cordovan woes that I've detailed here and elsewhere. We spoke for ten minutes on my problems and some friendly conversation, when he told me to e-mail him some pictures so he could suggest what he would do to handle my cracking cordovan. I sent him those pictures.

This morning, at 7 am, Skip got back to me and gave his best advice on what I could do to salvage my pair: sadly, it doesn't seem like anything will work beyond merely aesthetically covering up the problems my shoes have. Given they are torn in multiple places, I think I am going to now see if @DavidLane can help me by turning them into watchstraps, but I still appreciated this personal care from the president of Horween leather co.

Horween, you live up to your reputation as the finest tannery in America, and one of the finest tanneries in the entire world.

They are truly a fabulous company that is dedicated to helping lovers of their products maintain and repair their beautiful leather. I will always look for products made from their tannery whenever I have the option available to do so.
Yes, my experiences with Horween (and their leathers) have been very, very positive. A great company.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always thought about this but never asked what other people do. When you have a cocktail party at someone’s house and they make you take your shoes off what do you do? Bringing along shoe trees will make you seem anal about your shoes, which I am. I have some pairs going on 10 years that still look great. I usually always wear my most creased shoes if I know I’m going to be taking them off for a while.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always thought about this but never asked what other people do. When you have a cocktail party at someone’s house and they make you take your shoes off what do you do? Bringing along shoe trees will make you seem anal about your shoes, which I am. I have some pairs going on 10 years that still look great. I usually always wear my most creased shoes if I know I’m going to be taking them off for a while.
I think you just take your shoes off...

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't go to that party

Last edited:

polyfusion

Reaction score
No dude. Put the shoe trees in, but do so discreetly, and then quickly put the shoes in their dustbags. That way they won't see the shoe trees.

really enjoyed all of these replies.
reminded me of curb your enthusiasm where Larry won't take his shoes off at ben stillers house. Style forum members will relate.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

P. Sure a shoe will not be hurt by having no shoe trees for a few hours.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just taken delivery of a pair of beautiful rust coloured veg retanned leather desert boots, made for me by Jadd Shoes, a small company in Suffolk, UK who only make made-to-order shoes - their service is pretty much bespoke and the shoes are delightful. The veg retanned leather has a pull up quality, has a 'natural' look and is 'self healing' in the way that CXL is, but it does not feel like CXL. It is also a fairly thick and a sturdy leather. It 'rolls' rather than creases. Does anyone have direct experience of veg retanned and can they recommend a product I could use on them, occasionally? I suspect that some products would darken the leather and I would, as always, prefer the mildest creams, balms or lotions. Jadd send me a small pot of Chamber's Leather Balm, which is made of beeswax, coconut oil and a small amount of jojoba oil. I had not heard of this product but it sounds benign and not too heavy.

I understand from what little I can find on the net about this is that retanning is done to add further strength to veg tanned leather, but there may well be a lot more to it than this. I believe that the the veg tan is tanned again with chrome salts.

I am very, very pleased with my Jadd shoes and I have at last found a pair of shoes that really fit me. The 12 years of time passing and the 22 other pairs of shoes have made it worth the wait! With best wishes, Munky.

DapperAndy

Reaction score
I have just taken delivery of a pair of beautiful rust coloured veg retanned leather desert boots, made for me by Jadd Shoes, a small company in Suffolk, UK who only make made-to-order shoes - their service is pretty much bespoke and the shoes are delightful. The veg retanned leather has a pull up quality, has a 'natural' look and is 'self healing' in the way that CXL is, but it does not feel like CXL. It is also a fairly thick and a sturdy leather. It 'rolls' rather than creases. Does anyone have direct experience of veg retanned and can they recommend a product I could use on them, occasionally? I suspect that some products would darken the leather and I would, as always, prefer the mildest creams, balms or lotions. Jadd send me a small pot of Chamber's Leather Balm, which is made of beeswax, coconut oil and a small amount of jojoba oil. I had not heard of this product but it sounds benign and not too heavy.

I understand from what little I can find on the net about this is that retanning is done to add further strength to veg tanned leather, but there may well be a lot more to it than this. I believe that the the veg tan is tanned again with chrome salts.

I am very, very pleased with my Jadd shoes and I have at last found a pair of shoes that really fit me. The 12 years of time passing and the 22 other pairs of shoes have made it worth the wait! With best wishes, Munky.
DEShellvedge on IG has been finding great success protecting his Chromexcel Carmina boots using Pure Polish Neutral Cream - which has similar properties to the one you mentioned, sans Jojoba Oil.

The many tanning processes CX goes through, gives it an almost “shell cordovan”-esque self healing property. So you can keep the products light, and mainly keep the oils replenished and wax from scuffing the surface (toes/heels) due to behavior.

Caveat: As you and many know, I’m the proprietor of Pure Polish, DEShellvedge is a friend, not a paid model or advertiser. I just want to share real world customer experience that’s been exemplified as recently as yesterday.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Munky, would you mind telling us the price you paid for these boots? I'd be curious what their made-to-order pricing would be, as that sounds stupendous.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DEShellvedge on IG has been finding great success protecting his Chromexcel Carmina boots using Pure Polish Neutral Cream - which has similar properties to the one you mentioned, sans Jojoba Oil.

The many tanning processes CX goes through, gives it an almost “shell cordovan”-esque self healing property. So you can keep the products light, and mainly keep the oils replenished and wax from scuffing the surface (toes/heels) due to behavior.

Caveat: As you and many know, I’m the proprietor of Pure Polish, DEShellvedge is a friend, not a paid model or advertiser. I just want to share real world customer experience that’s been exemplified as recently as yesterday.

Thank you very much for this, Dapper; I appreciate it. While my new boots are not CXL, what you talk about is very relevant to them. I have used your creams in the past and found them to be really excellent. I think I had a problem in getting them here in the UK but that may well have changed. Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed response. With best wishes, Munky.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dapper, I have just discovered that you do ship your products to the UK. That is great news, thanks! Best wishes, Munky.

pe3brain

Reaction score
I'm going to redye the boots on the left and I'm thinking of going for an olive color. Using Saphir dye the recommendation is to mix black and yellow should I still follow this even tho the boot is tan?

Attachments

• 20201113_102856.jpg
    20201113_102856.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 70

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads