• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nikolau

Reaction score
I agree that sometimes hype trumps truth; however, I also think that Saphir's reputation for quality and results is shown by the recognition it has received. I, for one, know that I get superb results from using Saphir, and when you compare it to lower level stuff, the difference is really night and day. Lincoln, though, is not that low level at all.

If you don’t want to go through a ton of trial and error, and are happy paying a slight premium for tried and true, Saphir is great. Lincoln is- supposedly- popular in the army.

There are products that fill niches Saphir does not. A few that come to mind are: Lexol leather cleaner, Blackrock Leather n’ Rich conditioner, Bick 4 conditioner, CollonIil products, Pure Polish products, and VSC.

Insofar as I use any Saphir stuff, I use their greasy leather cream for my Allen Edmonds Oak Streets (CXL), their neatsfoot oil based shell creams, and mirror gloss. I do think Saphir make an exceptional product, but they’re far from unique in that regard IMHO.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don’t want to go through a ton of trial and error, and are happy paying a slight premium for tried and true, Saphir is great. Lincoln is- supposedly- popular in the army.

There are products that fill niches Saphir does not. A few that come to mind are: Lexol leather cleaner, Blackrock Leather n’ Rich conditioner, Bick 4 conditioner, CollonIil products, Pure Polish products, and VSC.

Insofar as I use any Saphir stuff, I use their greasy leather cream for my Allen Edmonds Oak Streets (CXL), their neatsfoot oil based shell creams, and mirror gloss. I do think Saphir make an exceptional product, but they’re far from unique in that regard IMHO.

I'm always a little skeptical of army practices if only because they do some crazy stuff to get by inspection. Like, as much as fire shines seem to work, I ain't setting my friggin' shoes on fire, and I think it's probably in the long term a bad idea. What the military does show, though, is that a can of kiwi can indeed make a mirror shine - if you spend hours doing it.

As for your points re: other products, yeah. As I've said, in terms of leather dyes and conditioners, you can find as good as saphir elsewhere, if not even better. Though that being said, if you can get a good price on saphir stuff, their conditioners are great, too, it just isn't worth twice as much (which I don't pay, certainly) for their products over some of their competitors.

Pure Polish wax polish is about the same price (adjusted for quantity) that you can find for MDO if you know where to search for, and definitely the same price as BDC wax polishes.

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
Yep, you can. Here is an example from this video where someone cuts chrome tanned common projects in half and then explains about the different types of leather

Yep, you can. Here is an example from this video where someone cuts chrome tanned common projects in half and then explains about the different types of leather

that's very interesting! wonder how the process actually works?

So offended by common projects charging 400 bucks for a chrome tan, but I guess that was expected

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's very interesting! wonder how the process actually works?

So offended by common projects charging 400 bucks for a chrome tan, but I guess that was expected

Glad the video was informative for you, but honestly, it doesn't really matter, especially for common projects. Red wing iron rangers are chrome tanned, don't hear anyone winning about it.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad the video was informative for you, but honestly, it doesn't really matter, especially for common projects. Red wing iron rangers are chrome tanned, don't hear anyone winning about it.

I don't buy IR (mainly because of the penis shaped toe) but now I can pretend it is because of the chrome tanning.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what is the difference between the Saphir Nano Invulner Waterproofing Spray and the Saphir Medaille d’Or Super Invulner ?

impermeabilisant_invulner_saphir.jpg
saphir-medaille-dor-saphir-medaille-dor-super-invu.jpg

vim147

Reaction score
I got some Saphir products and shined my shoes "properly" for the 1st time.
Not sure if I was doing it correctly. I've watched Prestons and Kirbys Youtube tutorials.
I polished a cheap pair of black casual brogues. Didn't go for a completely mirror shine. The thing that stopped me to keep on shining was that my shoulder started to hurt with all the circular rubbing motion.

I used Renomat, Renovateur, Black Pommadier, Neutral MDO wax. Maybe i had to put in extra effort as i used Renomat to strip off old wax ?

Also how do i know many layers Renovateur and Pommadier i need to apply ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads