• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend using anything on new shoes. Renovateur is for renovating shoes and not for putting on new ones. I haven't used Creme Universelle so I have never recommended it.

Renovateur, by the way, is water based. Another reason, perhaps, for not putting it on new shoes. Presumably, you wouldn't go straight out in the rain, in new shoes, so why add moisture? And never use in on veg tanned leather or hand burnished shoes.

I wouldn't use saddle soap, either. Over 10 or more years, I have never seen the need for all of these products. I won't go into my usual rant about keeping shoe care simple. But...keep shoe care simple. Yours Munky

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend using anything on new shoes. Renovateur is for renovating shoes and not for putting on new ones. I haven't used Creme Universelle so I have never recommended it.

Fair enough.

I personally prefer conditioning new shoes as you don't know how long they were at the shoe store or warehouse. Plus, why not condition them before they are polished?

ZePrez

Reaction score
Leather is a technological construct. Its base is, organic, biological, but the treatment of an animal skin to become leather is often, non-organic... Chemicals are used in the hide so that it becomes leather. There are, for certain, some rare exceptions.

I do get that some people may get away with not doing much to the leather. It depends on so many factors that it is difficult to extend to others: Locale, body constitution, usage, environment, etc... One person may get away with doing not much than brushing and another person, with same exact shoe from same manufacturer batch , purchased at the same time, may need to treat his/her shoes more thoroughly and regularly.
A simple example is a person living in a dry environment ... Shoes is treated from the factory but may need to be re-moisturized more often, if the environment is dusty, same shoe may need to be treated with cream polish with dyes more ...
I understand the KISS principle but ... It depends. Also moisturizing is a necessity to keep the leather supple and to make it last... it is a matter of proportions. Too moist, leather disintegrates, too dry... same results.

I also want to thank @JFWR for his post #24313. I love my Allen Edmonds Mac Neils in Black but sometimes found to look a bit dull compared to similar shoes in calfskin black among these a Park Avenue. Following his advice, I got a nice shine, that highlight the Shell Cordovan in a most flattering way. Thanks. This is what I used:
Lexol Neatsfoot Oil (a Quart on Amazon from Man Pro for less than $20
Saphir BDC black Cordovan Cream
Saphir BDC Admiral Gloss in Black , lightly
Brush vigorously and ...
Pictures later :)

nzahir

Reaction score
Some people (like Munky) do not suggest using it on new shoes, but instead use creme universelle or another conditioner (Munky doesn't use creme universelle); however, I disagree, as renovateur is a great conditioner, and provided your shoes aren't hand burnished or are crust leather where the dye/polish is just on the outside of the leather, you won't mess with the colour. If your shoes ARE like that, do not use renovateur, as renovateur is a bit harsher than creme universelle, which is JUST a conditioner with no mik oil, waxes, or anything other than the stuff that nourishes the leather.

I would use renovateur only more frequently than 6 months if: 1. You live in a very arid area where your leather shoes get dried out, such as say Las Vegas or Southern California. 2. You get your shoes really wet and you had to dry them out really good and therefore the leather is in need of some deep nourishing. Other than that, once every six months is absolutely fine, especially as renovateur will take some of the polish off your shoes, and you don't want to have to rebuild up layers of wax if you're going for a mirror shine. It won't HURT your shoes to use it more frequently, but it wouldn't be NEEDED and renovateur is expensive and your shoes won't BENEFIT from using it too often.

Saddle soap is for when your shoes get dirty as hell. You walked through a dirt road and got just a coating of dust and grime and mud on your shoes, and you need to clean the leather. I once used it when I got dog poop on my shoes, because it helped to get rid of the smell and clean that disgusting gunk off. After using saddle soap, use some sort of conditioner that is acidic to rebalance the PH. Saddle soap is also useful if you have hella deposits of wax on your shoes and you want to strip that off. Saddle soap is an excellent cleaner of polish and, used correctly, won't hurt anything, but be sure to nourish the leather afterwards always. THink of this way: If you just use shampoo on your hair every day, you'll dry your hair out by stripping the oils. Saddle soap is like a shampoo for leather, so you need to condition your hair to give it back the moisture and oils it needs to stay perfect.

No, you don't need a leather cleaner: just brush/buff that off. A nice horse hair, or pig hair, brushing will get that clean easily. As it isn't a wax polish, it should come off easy peasy. If needed, wipe a damp rag over it as well to get some more off, then brush. Damp, not sopping. Less is more.

There's no need to apologize for asking questions. Everyone who posts in this thread loves shoe care. We find it a joy to answer questions, at least I do.
Thanks

And how do you guys apply shoe cream/conditioner?

I know some people use a rag, some use fingers, and some use a dauber. Does it even matter? I used a cloth rag and later my fingers, didn't seem to make a difference.

I probably don't want to deal with waxing my shoes honestly and I don't think its needed for work. Maybe nice for occasional events like weddings, etc.

Do cordovan shoes usually have more shine to them (at least when new/in good shape)?

CWV

Reaction score
I use fingers but with a rag I’ve noticed is better fir cleaning purposes So I’ll use a rag when I want to remove stuff

ZePrez

Reaction score
Thanks

I know some people use a rag, some use fingers, and some use a dauber. Does it even matter? I used a cloth rag and later my fingers, didn't seem to make a difference.

I probably don't want to deal with waxing my shoes honestly and I don't think its needed for work. Maybe nice for occasional events like weddings, etc.

Do cordovan shoes usually have more shine to them (at least when new/in good shape)?
Hi

I like to use my fingers but a dauber is a nice to have thing. i would think that fingers allow more control.. you get to feel how much wax/polish or cream you're applying... but the polish/wax/cream gets to your skin and more profoundly than one would think.. These products use some solvents to penetrate the leather, which is not that far from human skin ... So, beware, those chemicals made for leather, do penetrate your skin and should be avoided, if possible (Talking to myself..)
Cleaning my shoes is relaxing and I would think may provide better results than a quick shoe shine or even a run-of-the-mill cobbler job.

I would say Shell Cordovan is an acquired taste , something for shoes aficionados. If you get it , then ... I like it. I do believe it looks better in the Burgundy, whiskey, cognac or brown but I would say black shell cordovan doesn't strike me as great looking. I prefer the shine and texture of a good calfskin over black cordovan... It is said to be sturdy but some say it is more delicate than calfskin... I am of that opinion. It is not easy to care for ... necessitating specific products for its care.
I don't have any shoes in, Chromexcel.. i need to fill that void ;)

Buster Brown

Reaction score
I find it interesting when different interests/hobbies overlap. I follow the GoRuck sub on Reddit and someone there posted a video on 'restoring' a pair of leather boots. Now, these are obviously not the type of footwear we commonly discuss here but I can't imagine why the uppers would require anything more than brushing, occasional Bick 4 and tinted cream or wax if you want restore color and/or add shine.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks

It doesn't matter. Anything works. I don't use my fingers, as that's gross. I use a rag or a dauber. Just got some cream daubers from Allen Edmonds for a dollar fifty, and I use my older rag for applying, too.

Cordovan shoes are naturally extremely shiny with brushing/buffing.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I like to use my fingers but a dauber is a nice to have thing. i would think that fingers allow more control.. you get to feel how much wax/polish or cream you're applying... but the polish/wax/cream gets to your skin and more profoundly than one would think.. These products use some solvents to penetrate the leather, which is not that far from human skin ... So, beware, those chemicals made for leather, do penetrate your skin and should be avoided, if possible (Talking to myself..)
Cleaning my shoes is relaxing and I would think may provide better results than a quick shoe shine or even a run-of-the-mill cobbler job.

I would say Shell Cordovan is an acquired taste , something for shoes aficionados. If you get it , then ... I like it. I do believe it looks better in the Burgundy, whiskey, cognac or brown but I would say black shell cordovan doesn't strike me as great looking. I prefer the shine and texture of a good calfskin over black cordovan... It is said to be sturdy but some say it is more delicate than calfskin... I am of that opinion. It is not easy to care for ... necessitating specific products for its care.
I don't have any shoes in, Chromexcel.. i need to fill that void ;)

Black shell cordovan is nice, but definitely less so than other colours. I'd say the difference is cordovan is thicker and less dressy, but also has its own beauty on its own. I wouldn't get a pair of black captoes in cordovan, but half and full brogues look great in them, and boots are a great choice in cordovan.

It's overall easier to care for, but requires different stuff.

Turpentine can't really hurt you, but it will make your fingers peel, so you can't really give yourself cancer or something from using it, but yeah.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather is a technological construct. Its base is, organic, biological, but the treatment of an animal skin to become leather is often, non-organic... Chemicals are used in the hide so that it becomes leather. There are, for certain, some rare exceptions.

I do get that some people may get away with not doing much to the leather. It depends on so many factors that it is difficult to extend to others: Locale, body constitution, usage, environment, etc... One person may get away with doing not much than brushing and another person, with same exact shoe from same manufacturer batch , purchased at the same time, may need to treat his/her shoes more thoroughly and regularly.
A simple example is a person living in a dry environment ... Shoes is treated from the factory but may need to be re-moisturized more often, if the environment is dusty, same shoe may need to be treated with cream polish with dyes more ...
I understand the KISS principle but ... It depends. Also moisturizing is a necessity to keep the leather supple and to make it last... it is a matter of proportions. Too moist, leather disintegrates, too dry... same results.

I also want to thank @JFWR for his post #24313. I love my Allen Edmonds Mac Neils in Black but sometimes found to look a bit dull compared to similar shoes in calfskin black among these a Park Avenue. Following his advice, I got a nice shine, that highlight the Shell Cordovan in a most flattering way. Thanks. This is what I used:
Lexol Neatsfoot Oil (a Quart on Amazon from Man Pro for less than $20
Saphir BDC black Cordovan Cream
Saphir BDC Admiral Gloss in Black , lightly
Brush vigorously and ...
Pictures later :)

Great job! I am very glad to be of help. Try a final buff with a lady's nylon stocking to get an even greater shine or to maintain the super high shine before wears.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Renovateur, by the way, is water based. Another reason, perhaps, for not putting it on new shoes. Presumably, you wouldn't go straight out in the rain, in new shoes, so why add moisture? And never use in on veg tanned leather or hand burnished shoes.

I wouldn't use saddle soap, either. Over 10 or more years, I have never seen the need for all of these products. I won't go into my usual rant about keeping shoe care simple. But...keep shoe care simple. Yours Munky

I’ve used saddle soap on my boots which get hard, muddy wear but even then only very occasionally.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not on veg tanned leather? I have never heard any problem with renovateur on vegetable tanned leather. I know about crust and handburnished leather, but vegetable tanned? Why?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not on veg tanned leather? I have never heard any problem with renovateur on vegetable tanned leather. I know about crust and handburnished leather, but vegetable tanned? Why?
Well, I can only speak from my experience of using it on 'natural' veg tanned shoes (made of Horween's Essex leather). Even a tiny amount quickly soaked into the leather, leaving the shoes much darker and with a tacky feel to the surface. I left them overnight and they were still tacky the next morning. I let them dry out for two days and even then, it was difficult to polish the surface of the leather. I would emphasise that I used really tiny amounts of Renovateur. The leather soaked up the product like a sponge. The ultimate result was that the application seemed to take the life out of the shoes. They are drier now and look set not to return to normal. I am not writing here about the gradual darkening of the natural veg tan; this is a normal state of affairs. I am referring to what the leather looked and felt like pre and post Renovateur.

I have since used an application of Saphir neutral cream on the shoes which did not 'soak' the leather and brought back a bit of sparkle. But now they really ain't the same shoes they were.

I fully appreciate that other people's experiences will be different; you can't generalise from a sample of one. But I have, for a long time, been wary of Renovateur; it is not, perhaps, as benign as it looks. The above has been my third bad experience with the product and I plan for it to be the last.

Nick Horween recommends Renovateur for use on Chromexcel and I will use that on my Chromexcel and my Cavalier boots (about once every six months). I won't be using it on any other shoes. [As an aside, I would certainly recommend Chromexcel and Cavalier - they are fabulous leathers].

I fairly recently bought my second jar of Renovateur. The first one had lasted me five years. Go easy. Best wishes, Munky.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I can only speak from my experience of using it on 'natural' veg tanned shoes (made of Horween's Essex leather). Even a tiny amount quickly soaked into the leather, leaving the shoes much darker and with a tacky feel to the surface. I left them overnight and they were still tacky the next morning. I let them dry out for two days and even then, it was difficult to polish the surface of the leather. I would emphasise that I used really tiny amounts of Renovateur. The leather soaked up the product like a sponge. The ultimate result was that the application seemed to take the life out of the shoes. They are drier now and look set not to return to normal. I am not writing here about the gradual darkening of the natural veg tan; this is a normal state of affairs. I am referring to what the leather looked and felt like pre and post Renovateur.

I have since used an application of Saphir neutral cream on the shoes which did not 'soak' the leather and brought back a bit of sparkle. But now they really ain't the same shoes they were.

I fully appreciate that other people's experiences will be different; you can't generalise from a sample of one. But I have, for a long time, been wary of Renovateur; it is not, perhaps, as benign as it looks. The above has been my third bad experience with the product and I plan for it to be the last.

Nick Horween recommends Renovateur for use on Chromexcel and I will use that on my Chromexcel and my Cavalier boots (about once every six months). I won't be using it on any other shoes. [As an aside, I would certainly recommend Chromexcel and Cavalier - they are fabulous leathers].

I fairly recently bought my second jar of Renovateur. The first one had lasted me five years. Go easy. Best wishes, Munky.

Thanks for the information.

I have a pair of vegetable tanned boots in black, and given that it is black, I noticed no darkening with using renovateur. Since using it, I have polished them to a very high gloss with no problem, so that is why I found this strange.

Still, I'll keep it in mind!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads