• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

letsgofire

Reaction score
So, Ralph Lauren is shutting down their Denim & Supply line. Is RRL next on the chopping block?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/struggling-ralph-lauren-tries-to-fashion-a-comeback-1465272240

Rather than scattering resources across brands, he will focus on the high-end Ralph Lauren line and the lower-end Polo and Lauren brands that are the mainstay of department stores. Smaller labels such as RRL, named for the Colorado ranch that Mr. Lauren owns with his wife, which sells selvedge denim, vintage apparel and other gear, will have to prove they are viable.
The article you linked to is six months old. This unfortunately is old news.

Cooly

Reaction score
The article you linked to is six months old. This unfortunately is old news.
IMHO, D&S was horrible...it looked really good on the website but when seen in-store or in-person... was some of the worst quality clothes I've ever laid hands on...and had that unique quality of looking nothing like website pictures (much worse)...

BaronFizzwell

Reaction score
Quote:
I can't actually imagine who would actually like Denim & Supply. It didn't really fill any niche that wasn't already catered to adequately. And yeah, the quality is atrocious.

A testament to how clueless the Ralph Lauren online marketing department can be (which is bizarre, considering Ralph had mastery over marketing for decades) is the E-Mail that Rugby.com subscribers received after Rugby shut down. It was along the lines of "Now that Rugby is gone, Denim and Supply is kind of the equivalent so you can shop there now." The clientele could not be more different ...

Last edited:

Gruff

Reaction score
I have a few pieces from D&S - 3-4 different washes of denim and couple of shirts.

Quality is weak as noted but if you can find it on discount it's a good value proposition for filler basics. Now that they're closing the line you can expect to see a lot of deals at your local Tjmaxx/Marshall's. Just avoid the juvenile looking stuff with American flags all over the place and you might be able to find some good stuff.

That being said, I feel like RL is going down the *******. With D&S gone they really only have polo, purple label and Rrl now. Prices are getting exorbitant for most everything except the basic ****** polo shirts and chinos.

Basically feels like its marketed to either high rollers on one end or broke ass high school/college students on the other end. Mirrors the direction American society is taking though, so I guess Ralph really is America's designer.

Last edited:

matic

Reaction score

I have a few pieces from D&S - 3-4 different washes of denim and couple of shirts.

Quality is weak as noted but if you can find it on discount it's a good value proposition for filler basics. Now that they're closing the line you can expect to see a lot of deals at your local Tjmaxx/Marshall's. Just avoid the juvenile looking stuff with American flags all over the place and you might be able to find some good stuff.

i was wondering why dept stores slashed everything to 40%+ off few weeks ago

Cooly

Reaction score
Anyone who gets National Geographic..their Holiday 2016 Catalog has some decent RRL-ish type clothes in it. A WWII wool pull-over repro, a brown A-2 from Schott, some great cable-knit sweaters from Scotland, Ireland, England... also has a cool handmade Alpaca sweater from Bolivia....

Anyway..thought I would share...was flipping through it earlier and surprised by it... here are a couple pics...

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, D&S was horrible...it looked really good on the website but when seen in-store or in-person... was some of the worst quality clothes I've ever laid hands on...and had that unique quality of looking nothing like website pictures (much worse)...

This was exactly my experience when the line first launched. Couldn't believe the prices after seeing it in person. Hand feel on a sweater for example was just awful. The line has just looked worse and worse every year so far as I could tell as well.

That said I'm still of the opinion that RRL's value isn't great either. Designs are nice, but when you look at a lot of the materials and factor in that it's made in China you see it's definitely well overpriced. Still the designs are great so that for me lures me in once in a blue moon. I think that poncho they have online right now is a good example. IMO it's a great design and a distinct piece, but it doesn't look anywhere near a $1600 piece. And don't get me wrong, you can say this about other brands as well. Same can be said for Engineered Garments albeit perhaps to a lesser degree.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who gets National Geographic..their Holiday 2016 Catalog has some decent RRL-ish type clothes in it. A WWII wool pull-over repro, a brown A-2 from Schott, some great cable-knit sweaters from Scotland, Ireland, England... also has a cool handmade Alpaca sweater from Bolivia....

it's funny to see anything referred to as "RRL-ish"... you do know the entirety of the RRL catalog is derivative of other people's original designs, yes?

now i love ralph, but gimme a break...

ispace

Reaction score

it's funny to see anything referred to as "RRL-ish"... you do know the entirety of the RRL catalog is derivative of other people's original designs, yes? 

now i love ralph, but gimme a break...

He was just comparing similar aesthetics & thought RRL fans may enjoy this too, not claiming RRL created these styles. Chill.

pvoytko

Reaction score
The D&S world selvedge project jeans were actually pretty sick. I got like three different pairs for under 150 and still wear them.

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always felt like D&S was good for summer graphic tees. They were cheap and easy to acquire. (If they fit your style I guess.)

carloso

Reaction score
i have a few beater jeans, sweaters, and shirts from D&S that have held up pretty well after multiple wears and washes

Cooly

Reaction score
He was just comparing similar aesthetics & thought RRL fans may enjoy this too, not claiming RRL created these styles. Chill.
Yes...exactly..thanks for clarifying...I was not implying the people who compile the Nat. Geo. holiday catalog copied RRL...I'm thinking they may not even know RRL exists....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads