• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Preppy Challenge!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Listen up, all you social climbing proles!

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad thread presents The Official Preppy Challenge!

Should you have been born into wealth and privilege, but your under-achieving parents spent too much time on happiness and self fulfillment? Do you covet membership in an exclusive country club, but neither play golf nor really know what it is? Do you collect heraldic neckties whose heraldry you have no connection to?

No?

Well, this is your opportunity to do what all true preps do; fake it! So have fun, be tongue-in-cheek, and don't be afraid to go overboard!

The winner will receive a $50 E-gift certificate to R. Hanauer Ties (www.bowties.com). This legendary Southern neckwear maker has been doing things the right way for many years now and they have become my go-to source for bow ties, not to mention their great selection of long ties.

230034f5d4051d117c6a647f9f791098_400x400.jpg

Your task is simple. Take any illustration or photo from the following books and re-create that look; "The Official Preppy Handbook," "True Prep," "The Official Sloane Ranger Handbook," or "Class: A Guide Through The American Status System."

You can choose any illustration or photograph to emulate, whether casual or business formal, or anything in-between. You MUST post the picture you are emulating WITH your entry.

The winner will be selected by public poll and must have a valid email address to receive the eGiftCard. Entries will be accepted until Friday, February 9th at 7pm CST (U.S.). The poll will open shortly thereafter.

Don't own any of these books? Don't worry, just do an image search with your book's title and images are sure to pop up.

Here are a few examples of the images available to you...

Sloane-Ranger-Army-Smarmy.jpg
gardenandgun.com_files_The-Official-Preppy-Handbook-summer-wear-3.jpg
prole_jacket_gape.jpg
IMG_3026.jpg
IMG_3024.jpg
IMG_3020.jpg

And an example of what happens when a pretender like me tries to emulate a British stereotype...

RUIB3.jpg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brilliant! I'm looking forward to seeing some Yanks try an emulate the British university style.

I'm so in.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I respectfully suggest the addition of Darwen's "Le Chic Anglais", which is read and quoted like a bible by the Parisian menswear community and represents anglomania at its finest, despite having the same spirit as the others. I have not read it as it is near-impossible to find a copy.

Will be following this thread with morbid fascination.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazingly enough, a quick google returned a PDF copy on the first (French) blog review of the book. Far from me to encourage digital piracy - do remember to purchase a physical copy.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oyBE55m.png

"The colonel's bow tie" ... or the inconceivable example of a loss of self-control by a member of the British military.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
qYaCUN2.jpg

Country suits and Rus in Urbe

Rus in Urbe, to borrow from Martial, brings us to the wearing of country clothing in town. This is accepted for relaxed weekends or when abroad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics