• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on p-coats?
Bond Peacoat as mentioned above. Also:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Case in point. Overflowing to the brim, but always room for more. My monstrously organized sock and French fragrance drawer...

View attachment 1484706

I've got one small sock drawer for summer no shows that I wear with sneakers. All identical black under armour. The parallel small drawer is for pocket squares.
The larger drawer beneath it is for dress socks and winter causal smart wool socks. That one is a beast.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one small sock drawer for summer no shows that I wear with sneakers. All identical black under armour. The parallel small drawer is for pocket squares.
The larger drawer beneath it is for dress socks and winter causal smart wool socks. That one is a beast.
Pictures, man!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I meant to post a reply about military vintage earlier but never hit "post reply". My 60s era coat was from a site called "vintagetrends" but the site is down. I found those from the 60s were best quality - good feel, very heavy and warm. After my experience with vintage, I don't think I could justify purchasing a peacoat from some brand at retail prices.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the Smithsonian of American History today on my second day of staycation. I hadn't been there for several decades. Nice museum, but talk about information overload. I got tired after one hour of walking through the exhibitions. That's why I prefer art museums. Not much reading.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cross-posted from "things that are making you happy" thread for some advice from my DC e-bros:

An attractive, single (marital status at least), thirty-something woman just bought the apartment next door to mine. This is a really bad "don't **** where you eat" idea, right?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-posted from "things that are making you happy" thread for some advice from my DC e-bros:

An attractive, single (marital status at least), thirty-something woman just bought the apartment next door to mine. This is a really bad "don't **** where you eat" idea, right?

What would cause you to think living near someone is a "don't **** where you eat" issue? Think of how many people you've lived near throughout your life that you never see or interact with. If something went bad with a relationship with this woman, it wouldn't be THAT hard to avoid her, would it?

That said, I had multiple relationships with co-workers when I was in my 20s (the last one resulting in marriage), so I am maybe not the best person to show restraint in a situation like this.

trafficjam

Reaction score
"Don't **** where you eat" is useful advice if there's a power asymmetry or if you're too immature to be cordial with someone you used to have a relationship with (or, more dangerously, they are). If you can deal with Being A Person In Public if it goes bad, there's no problem with hooking up with your neighbor. Then again, if you're asking...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Don't **** where you eat" is useful advice if there's a power asymmetry or if you're too immature to be cordial with someone you used to have a relationship with (or, more dangerously, they are). If you can deal with Being A Person In Public if it goes bad, there's no problem with hooking up with your neighbor. Then again, if you're asking...

I think it's always useful as a starting point. Not to mention, you can think you are a mature gentleman but you really have no idea how you or the other mature party will behave if things were to ever go south. How many people "act a fool" despite thinking they are acting rationally? So, yes, bad idea to make a habit of pursuing co-workers, neighbors, etc. I don't think it's a deal breaker but I would be cautious.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I met my now-wife when she started working at my firm, and before we got together I openly (although probably drunkenly) conveyed to her support for the "don't **** where you eat" policy. To this day, she won't let me forget it.

So, I say don't **** where you eat. But on the off chance you end up in a long-term relationship with her, do NOT actually tell her that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads