• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just reading this...

Yeah, I read the Atlantic piece as well. Their Covid coverage is first rate. Ed Yong's two recent articles were fantastic.

It's kind of cool to see all the outside diners in Adams Morgan on 18th and Columbia. I'm wondering what's going to happen when the weather gets colder, assuming that Coronavirus is still with us (which I'm pretty sure it will be). Maybe heat lamps?

I suspect a few restaurants might get by with tents and propane heaters but most won't have the space to do it. Once it's cold, dark, and rainy I doubt folks will want to eat outside but who knows? I'm guessing we'll be back to take out and delivery. We had dinner at Mexicali Blues in Clarendon yesterday and it was great to be outside.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of good restaurants delivering so I'll be good without outdoor indoor dining for a while. Have gotten really into Unconventional Diner delivery. And I'm definitely not missing $14 cocktails.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Enjoying some Icelandic beer tonight.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ezra's factory in Italy apparently closed for August. Looks like no new jacket for me until September :-(
I think that’s actually normal. Maybe a longer shutdown due to Covid, though?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any good magazines recommendations?
I have GQ and it went to ****. All that weird style.
Esquire is still good.
I gave up on GQ as well. WM Brown and The Rake are the only style mags I get. Plenty of stuff on the Net.

EDIT: forgot I also get Esquire.

Last edited:

ahtynes

Reaction score
I recently let my Rake subscription lapse, swapping it out with WM Brown. It just started to feel a little too much in service of their e-commerce for me. And although Wei Koh seems like a nice guy, his style (both writing and sartorial) is pretty horrific.

I'll subscribe to WM forever, though.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ezra's factory in Italy apparently closed for August. Looks like no new jacket for me until September :-(
I think that’s actually normal. Maybe a longer shutdown due to Covid, though?

Yes, I think this is mostly normal for Europe.

Here’s a fun story (ymmv) I once ordered a custom tie from Drakes in October. Expecting it early December. I asked for the hand rolled edge. Apparently, there was (at least at the time) ONE person at drakes that did the hand rolled edges. And that Friday was their day to work on custom orders. Mon-Thurs was normal Drakes production. Due to a mix up, my order didn’t get placed until Nov. Then, the one hand rolled takes off all of December! So I got my tie in late January.

Any good magazines recommendations?
I have GQ and it went to ****. All that weird style.
Esquire is still good.

I have similar question. I long ago gave up on GQ, and Esquire. Although I hung with Esquire for a while, but have since given up

I gave up on GQ as well. WM Brown and The Rake are the only style mags I get. Plenty of stuff on the Net.

@smittycl , what do you read on the net? I am looking for some new content

I recently let my Rake subscription lapse, swapping it out with WM Brown. It just started to feel a little too much in service of their e-commerce for me. And although Wei Koh seems like a nice guy, his style (both writing and sartorial) is pretty horrific.

Is WM Brown worth the price? No snark, just asking. Back issues and subscriptions seem pretty steep.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, Koh's writing is terrible and pics of Alexander Kraft doing his Kraft-thing are getting nauseating. I have to admit I still enjoy browsing through it, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads