• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it was a very limited run based on the availability of the fabric. Mine is a 40R.
Same here. High five. I think it was like 50 jackets.

How do you like the S&M trousers? Im considering some in the future including a custom to make an olive blazer I have a suit when I want.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. High five. I think it was like 50 jackets.

How do you like the S&M trousers. Im considering some in the future including a custom to make an olive blazer I have a suit when I want.

They're a good value, esp. when on sale, and you can get them hemmed to your desired length for an additional charge before they ship it to you. Saves a lot of time/$ from having to get alterations at a local tailor.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My bad. When your boss tells you to attend an event in Capitol Hill, where do you order your Hickey Freeman MTO? ;-)
I wore lots of HF when I first came to DC. Before I discovered Styleforum and started dropped Zegna and Canali coin. Oy!

anaxagoras

Reaction score
I wore lots of HF when I first came to DC. Before I discovered Styleforum and started dropped Zegna and Canali coin. Oy!

In my twenties I lived in Brooklyn I bought everything on Orchard Street. Back then no Styleforum, unfortunately. I don’t recall mocking my colleagues who could afford Manhattan tho. ;-)

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday casual, Easily Amused-style... (Who's afraid of the the Big Bad DB?)

Eidos Cordoroy DB_Inglese yellow polo_PI square_JMM Altamont Lander_right closed.jpg
G&G Rogers Suede_JF Socks_Eidos Cordoroy DB.jpg
IMG_8819.jpg

Eidos-NMWA DB corduroy suit, Inglese polo, Post Imperial pocket square, Gaziano & Girling derbies, Jacques Marie Mage frames and brooch, Caron Yatagan EDP.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like your opinions. Im looking at adding a brown suede loafer likely dark. What do you think between this one and a penny loafer?

Would one look more formal than another?
Is one more versatile?

I have some drivers in dark brown and tan now but need something more smart. Since the others get worn a lot in travel. Id likely go sock-less as often as i can or with no shows.

IMG_0031.jpeg

Last edited:

anaxagoras

Reaction score
I would like your opinions. Im looking at adding a brown suede loafer likely dark. What do you think between this one and a penny loafer?

Would one look more formal than another?
Is one more versatile?

I have some drivers in dark brown and tan now but need something more smart. Since the others get worn a lot in travel. Id likely go sock-less as often as i can or with no shows.

View attachment 1931065

I think these would be both more formal and more versatile than a suede penny. (Don’t know why, but suede seems wrong for penny loafers, or vice versa, but may just be me.)

lasting_good

Reaction score
Looking for some advice for DC-specific style choices. I'll be starting a job on the Hill later this year and am in the process of building a (suit)able wardrobe. I have the obvious basics (a charcoal gray and a navy single breasted suit). I'm wondering what are other acceptable suit color and style choices. For example, is a navy suit with patch pockets a no-go? What about a light gray or gray-brown suit (like this https://www.sartoriale.com/collecti...y-prince-of-wales-wool-suit-eu-50-new-us-42)? Especially interested if anyone has been around the Hill post-Covid to see if styles have changed at all. Thanks!

blindboygrunt

Reaction score
Looking for some advice for DC-specific style choices. I'll be starting a job on the Hill later this year and am in the process of building a (suit)able wardrobe. I have the obvious basics (a charcoal gray and a navy single breasted suit). I'm wondering what are other acceptable suit color and style choices. For example, is a navy suit with patch pockets a no-go? What about a light gray or gray-brown suit (like this https://www.sartoriale.com/collecti...y-prince-of-wales-wool-suit-eu-50-new-us-42)? Especially interested if anyone has been around the Hill post-Covid to see if styles have changed at all. Thanks!
Depends on the member you're working for and whether its House (more casual) or Senate (more formal) but generally you'll be fine. I wore plenty of suits with patch pockets when I was on the Hill and no one batted an eye. Light gray and gray-brown should also be fine. I've found a lot of Hill staffers are starting to do jackets and trousers too and ties, while still pretty common, are not as universal as they once were. You'll also see a few guys pea-cocking, so if you want to wear a loud pocket square or push the boundaries a bit you won't be alone.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one will notice if your suit has patch vs flap pockets. Just don't wear a navy suit with tan shoes. That's the hill uniform and it looks terrible.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think these would be both more formal and more versatile than a suede penny. (Don’t know why, but suede seems wrong for penny loafers, or vice versa, but may just be me.)
Disagree. I prefer suede Pennys in warm weather. Those picture above looked nice, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads