• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official how to lose fat (aka how to get a 6 pack) thread

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CLIFFS: Six packs are made in the kitchen... if you don't master your diet you will never get lean

I am so sick and tired of people asking the same dumb questions over and over

"what ab workouts can i do for more definition"
"how many reps of crunches is ideal"

Yadda yadda

"It's DOO DOO!!!" - Young Frankenstein

Getting a six pack = getting down to a low level of body fat. The ONLY way to do this effectively is through a caloric deficit- IOW eating less calories than you burn. So you have to figure out what your maintenance calories (IOW the # of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight), and eat less. There are a lot of simple online calculators but I find them to be crap... your mileage may REALLY vary (my real maintenance is a good 20% lower than what most calculators estimate). The BEST way to figure it out is:

- Weigh yourself first thing on the morning for ~2 weeks.
- Over this 2 weeks keep a log of what you eat. Try and be as accurate as possible.
- Use that data to estimate your maintenance. If your weight goes up or down over the period, the data is still useable; just remember 3500 calories = 1lb of body fat.

Once you know your maintenance, eat ~500cal/day under it. You can do this however you want- same 500cal deficit each day, or you can cycle. I personally have found that carb cycling is very effective.

In the context of bodybuilding

There are some more prerequisites for someone making a diet in the context of a "bodybuilding cut". Well really only one IMO. You need protein. Way more than the FDA recommends... the agreed upon rule of thumb is 1g/lb body weight every day. This spares muscle yadda yadda. You also need an adequate amount of fat & carbs... i.e., its not a good idea to cut them out completely as various life functions depend on an adequate amount of them... but protein should be the top priority.

My own observations (in the context of bodybuilding cuts)

- Over time progress in a cut stalls. A realistic weight loss rate is about 1-2lb a week for a relatively healthy + lean dude. There's a **** load of hormonal mechanisms + adaptations I don't wanna get into, but I have found that taking a break from a diet after 6-8 weeks of it helps. Lyle McDonald breaks it down here

- Cardio & coffee are your friends, but obv only in moderation. Too much cardio will eat away at your muscles, too much coffee will turn your teeth brown and dull the effectiveness of the caffeine. I try and take breaks from coffee every now and then.

- In a cut you should keep the reps x weights the same, but reduce the number of sets you do. Lyle McDonald recommends cutting your lifting volume by up to 2/3.

Now I DON'T HAVE A 6 PACK... yet. But I have tried several diets and failed. However this summer I started at 192 or so lb at 5' 10", at a decent level of strength... I'm down to ~180lb, with more definition in my abs and a smaller waist (down to ~31" from 34"). No ******* crunches. I'm only relaying info from people who have actually done it. So please stop with the stupid ass questions

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid

"what ab workouts can i do for toning"

The BEST way to figure it out is:

- Weigh yourself first thing on the morning for ~2 weeks.
- Over this 2 weeks keep a log of what you eat. Try and be as accurate as possible.
- Use that data to estimate your maintenance. If your weight goes up or down over the period, the data is still useable; just remember 3500 calories = 1lb of body fat.

I fixed the first part for you.

Figuring maintance really requires knowing yourself. Understanding your diet. I can make my weight change a few pounds without altering the amount of body fat. Salt my food more/less. Change my carb levels. Even how much water I drink over the course of the day. Throw in the fact weight loss isn't linear.

Two weeks of tracking really doesn't mean much in the big picture.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
I fixed the first part for you.

Figuring maintance really requires knowing yourself. Understanding your diet. I can make my weight change a few pounds without altering the amount of body fat. Salt my food more/less. Change my carb levels. Even how much water I drink over the course of the day. Throw in the fact weight loss isn't linear.

Two weeks of tracking really doesn't mean much in the big picture.

If you don't make drastic changes in your diet over the period, it's pretty accurate. Salt is a pretty big thing though, I agree.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was needed.
worship.gif

roryben

Reaction score
I can't help but feel I contributed to the needing of this thread...
frown.gif
Hey CTK... when you say "this summer I started at 192 or so lb"... when did your summer start?? I mean, it's only June now

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by roryben
I can't help but feel I contributed to the needing of this thread...
frown.gif
Hey CTK... when you say "this summer I started at 192 or so lb"... when did your summer start?? I mean, it's only June now

By summer I meant mid April... sorry for that. And the harsh tone was just reflective of my frustration at the time. Admittedly, the first few google results are ****, but I feel like the BB community is collectively turning a corner, so the info is out there. Maybe a collection of logic approved links is in order. In any case, you want beach worthy abs, the hard work will be in the kitchen and at the scale. Given the only known working mechanism to get a six pack is weight loss, ab exercises won't help anyway as during a slim down you will lose muscle... meaning your abs won't be growing even w/a directed workout

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
This was needed.
worship.gif

Someone should also start a thread explaining that you aren't accidentally going to get huge and jacked if you lift heavy weights.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Someone should also start a thread explaining that you aren't accidentally going to get huge and jacked if you lift heavy weights.
A general "adhering to these fitness myths is why you have not progressed" thread might be in order Meal frequency is another favorite

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
Am I allowed to drink juice that I don't squeeze myself?
Yes but only between the hours of 2 & 4 PM on days that begin with "T". And you can't squeeze the fruits on the same day.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Yes but only between the hours of 2 & 4 PM on days that begin with "T". And you can't squeeze the fruits on the same day.

DAMN IT!

tphan3

Reaction score
If you also decide to run, please visit an actual running store. They'll notice if you supinate or pronate and will be able to find a shoe that works for you.

You'll do less damage to your body as well. Shin splints are not fun.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last little bit of flab is pretty stubborn stuff. I've been working on it by doing some cardio, but most of it has been diet - mainly upping the protein and cutting the carbs. I've seen my waistline get smaller from doing these ab vacuums. I don't know if it's a placebo or not but it sure seems to work. Can't say for sure since I do other ab exercises as well. But you can try it, and it's an exercise you can practice anywhere.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
I've seen my waistline get smaller from doing these ab vacuums. I don't know if it's a placebo or not but it seems to work. Can't say for sure since I do other abs exercises as well. But you can try it, and it's an exercise you can practice anywhere.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Interesting. I'd never heard / read about this. It really can't hurt to do along with the rest of your ab work out. Personally, I'm not much for the crunch machine, and use it maybe once a month, instead I tend to rely on body weight ab work outs that target the definition of your abs. When you start to lose bf, you will see your abs, and not due to crunches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads