• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So I'm having a pretty hard time finding the standard Achilles lows in 39 (I am US 7.5 generally, and it seems like 39 would work best for me; 40 might be a slightly looser fit and I hope to wear these with no-show socks in summer).

Ideally I'd like one of the vintage releases, but it's difficult finding even the normal ones at a not-outrageous price. Thinking of ordering from Frans Boone which comes to around $280. But hesitating because I don't know what to expect in terms of customs. Any advice on how much I might expect to pay there?

I actually spoke to US Customs about this exact matter when I was looking to order from Frans Boone awhile back. Their response:

"In your case, the product consist of shoes with a leather upper and a rubber/plastic outer sole. Your product is classified under 6403.99.6075 with a duty rate of 8.5%. If the value of your product is $300 USD then the estimated duty will be $25.50. This an estimated amount of what UPS will charge you for custom fees."

The degree of specificity speaks to how tedious trade law must be.

I ended up ordering from Tres Bien and they tend to value items lower so you don't get hit with customs, so I can't say what the customs from Frans Boone would have been. However, I recently ordered a pair from Kafka (UK) valued at about $240 and got hit with a $56 customs bill from UPS.

In my experience, having the store value the product below $200 (as Tres Bien does) seems to do the trick. I just ordered another pair from Kafka valued at about the same amount and this time they valued it at ~$70 = no customs (yet, at least).

Last edited:

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
I actually spoke to US Customs about this exact matter when I was looking to order from Frans Boone awhile back. Their response:

"In your case, the product consist of shoes with a leather upper and a rubber/plastic outer sole. Your product is classified under 6403.99.6075 with a duty rate of 8.5%. If the value of your product is $300 USD then the estimated duty will be $25.50. This an estimated amount of what UPS will charge you for custom fees."

The degree of specificity speaks to how tedious trade law must be.

I ended up ordering from Tres Bien and they tend to value items lower so you don't get hit with customs, so I can't say what the customs from Frans Boone would have been. However, I recently ordered a pair from Kafka (UK) valued at about $240 and got hit with a $56 customs bill from UPS.

In my experience, having the store value the product below $200 (as Tres Bien does) seems to do the trick. I just ordered another pair from Kafka valued at about the same amount and this time they valued it at ~$70 = no customs (yet, at least).
Much love for this--it's exactly the information I wanted. I looked at Tres Bien but their selection is rather low. Not sure if it's a bad time to be looking or whatever, but Frans Boone always seems to have plenty of inventory, and in the crucial size 39 which is what I need. I'll look at Kafka as well. Any idea why they valued it at $70?

Frans Boone claims I would pay around $280-290 ex VAT/EU fees. If I'm hit with $25-$50 that isn't too bad, I guess. Certainly better than the ridiculous $400+ in the US.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kafka changed the valuation at my request. However, note it's my second pair purchased through them - they may not be amenable to doing this with everyone.

If you order from Frans Boone then yea, I'd anticipate a $50 customs fee to be safe. Tres Bien's the only place I know where I've never been hit with fees (without asking for undervaluation).

Just be sure that you have an idea of the fit you're getting - as I'm sure you've read, there's a huge variance in sizing for CPs. I'm actually fixin' to post about my fit experience with the 8 pairs I've had at varying time, once I receive my Achilles.

orlylow

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using other brands insoles for your CPs? If so, what brand? For the achilles.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyone have any experience using other brands insoles for your CPs? If so, what brand? For the achilles.

I use Superfeet's Delux Dress 3/4 for my tournament lows because they offer no arch support. It's improved the fit and made them comfortable where they were not before. I'll be using them in my Achilles when I get them.

I also just got the Superfeet Greens for my retro lows. Again, because they lack arch support, but also because they run large and I needed to fill volume.

In both cases I'm stacking insoles. If you're not looking to fill volume I'd recommend taking the stock insoles out.

Last edited:

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
Kafka changed the valuation at my request. However, note it's my second pair purchased through them - they may not be amenable to doing this with everyone.

If you order from Frans Boone then yea, I'd anticipate a $50 customs fee to be safe. Tres Bien's the only place I know where I've never been hit with fees (without asking for undervaluation).

Just be sure that you have an idea of the fit you're getting - as I'm sure you've read, there's a huge variance in sizing for CPs. I'm actually fixin' to post about my fit experience with the 8 pairs I've had at varying time, once I receive my Achilles.
Yeah I am wary about CP sizing. I'm a US 7.5 and take EU 39-40 depending on the type of shoe. But I really envision wearing the Achilles lows--which is what I'm after--in summer with shorts and no-show socks, so it needs to be a snug fit. Feet width seems to be the real problem for a lot of people, but I have slim-to-normal width so I'm betting on 39. And thanks for the Nitty Gritty mention, hadn't heard of that before but will check out.

Edit: If you already have experience with Achilles do please post a bit about it.

Last edited:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I am wary about CP sizing. I'm a US 7.5 and take EU 39-40 depending on the type of shoe. But I really envision wearing the Achilles lows--which is what I'm after--in summer with shorts and no-show socks, so it needs to be a snug fit. Feet width seems to be the real problem for a lot of people, but I have slim-to-normal width so I'm betting on 39. And thanks for the Nitty Gritty mention, hadn't heard of that before but will check out.

Edit: If you already have experience with Achilles do please post a bit about it. 

I had a pair of Achilles lows in patent leather back in 2009, but given that models change over time I can't say that experience is representative of their current sizing.

I receive my pair of OG Achilles this week, so I'll post a comparison with the other models I've owned.

Last edited:

leeba

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with the colored leathers? Light grey, caramel brown, dark grey, etc. These are lamb, right? They're insanely soft/nice when new (at least the ones I've handled), very covetable, but how do they wear? The few used ones I've seen on grilled/etc all tend to look pretty badly worn in (lost shape, wrinkles/creases, in general just looking pretty old) - definitely more than the calf white achilles. I'm all for beat up sneakers/clothes in certain situations...but that's not what I personally want out of these colored leather CPs. So...experiences?

Last edited:

Denimsuede

Reaction score

does anyone have the limited edition achilles? How's the leather quality? I like the pebble texture but is it really deer leather though?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads