• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a market you guys recommend to sell CPs? I have two pairs I may want to move.

Thanks.
throw them up on the B&S section - although the forum seems to have low traction for CPs. I have a pair BNIB of white achilles mids for sale and have only had a couple nibbles in about 8 months.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The full collection is usually about 150 different styles, so I doubt anyone has all of them.
They are also pretty strict about photos taken in the showroom, I shared one on my IG once, and it took about 15 minutes before i got an email to delete the post.

do you know if the grey suede achilles low (grey upper and sole) is part of the core styles? they've had it for a number of seasons but i can't seem to find it for FW2020 (or SS2020)

Lovemybed

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I’ll post on eBay and in here.

If anyone is interested I’m selling;

Brand new with box and dust bag, Size 45, Tournament Low 5188 black/white

Worn 2x, With box and dust bag, Size 45 Achilles Super mesh beige

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow really? More so than eBay?

I recently got scammed as a buyer on grailed, and they offered 0 protection, told me to go through PayPal directly. Luckily it was able to be resolved, but it took several months!

I've also had to open a number of cases through ebay, both as a buyer and seller, and they've been resolved quickly and fairly. I take photos when I pack the box and ship, and if it's a really hype item that is likely to get scammed, I take a video.

Jappuli

Reaction score
Hello!
I am a long time lurker, but now I wanted to ask some help from you here.

I recently purchased pair of Achilles Low white from Caliroots, which is an official reseller listed on CPs homepage. I think the ones I received are in fact fake when I compare them to my 3 year old Achilles Lows (or my new black/white ones). I made an imgur album with pictures as comparison and I'd like some ask if you agree with me that the ones I received are fake.

Link to album:

Yohaan93

Reaction score
Hello!
I am a long time lurker, but now I wanted to ask some help from you here.

I recently purchased pair of Achilles Low white from Caliroots, which is an official reseller listed on CPs homepage. I think the ones I received are in fact fake when I compare them to my 3 year old Achilles Lows (or my new black/white ones). I made an imgur album with pictures as comparison and I'd like some ask if you agree with me that the ones I received are fake.

Link to album:

These look legit to me.

i think the boldness / texture of the gold text might have changed over the years. The thickness of the heel patch is due to heel drag taking away material on your old pair.

I think the rest of the issues you addressed are simply manufacturing variations which is quite normal for handmade leather shoes.

The fake ones i've seen have a different toe box shape (much more bulbous) and the coloration of the shoe is inconsistent. They don't seem to get laces right either. These have none of those problems.

I also HIGHLY doubt a reputable retailer like Caliroots would sell you a fake pair.

Jappuli

Reaction score
Thank you for the input!

After reading your thoughts, I was thinking maybe I was just paranoid and got the shoes out of the box to have another look. I started doing some research on CP replicas and found out they are very close to the real ones nowadays. I ended up in finding Reddit post where someone is inspecting the Chinese fakes and another of a lenghtier review on these replicas. These fake ones carry the same boldness of the font. I did some more reading, and how people describe them is that they are very good replicas, but with distinct chemical smell to them.

I went on a bit of a corona shopping spree, so I have purchased 4 Common Projects this year. All of these CPs have the same font gold print as my old ones, so seeing the bolder text in these made me suspicious. What made me think something was wrong in the first place was the very strong chemical smell that took over the whole room after I first opened the box. Even after spending time out of the box the smell is still noticeable and actually makes mee feel bit nauseous if I smell them too close. None of the Common Projects I have had ever had the same kind of smell.

It is very hard to capture the comparison of these shoes on my phone camera, but these just don't have the same look and texture of the leather as my other Achilles Lows, and the overall "feeling" i get from the shoes is different. The final reason why I think these are fake, is that every pair of CPs I have had, have completely murdered my feet when they are new, but these don't seem to give the same kind of effect and they are overall too loose.

So what I am suspecting is that these shoes are a return, and the person who did the return swapped the shoes and someone inspecting the return who is not too familiar with the shoes can easily be fooled by good quality fakes. I am asking Caliroots for replacements, if their customer support could miraculously do that.

Grolubao

Reaction score
Thank you for the input!

After reading your thoughts, I was thinking maybe I was just paranoid and got the shoes out of the box to have another look. I started doing some research on CP replicas and found out they are very close to the real ones nowadays. I ended up in finding Reddit post where someone is inspecting the Chinese fakes and another of a lenghtier review on these replicas. These fake ones carry the same boldness of the font. I did some more reading, and how people describe them is that they are very good replicas, but with distinct chemical smell to them.

I went on a bit of a corona shopping spree, so I have purchased 4 Common Projects this year. All of these CPs have the same font gold print as my old ones, so seeing the bolder text in these made me suspicious. What made me think something was wrong in the first place was the very strong chemical smell that took over the whole room after I first opened the box. Even after spending time out of the box the smell is still noticeable and actually makes mee feel bit nauseous if I smell them too close. None of the Common Projects I have had ever had the same kind of smell.

It is very hard to capture the comparison of these shoes on my phone camera, but these just don't have the same look, feel and texture of the leather as my other Achilles Lows. The final reason why I think these are fake, is that every pair of CPs I have had, have completely murdered my feet when they are new, but these don't seem to give the same kind of effect and they are overall too loose.

So what I am suspecting is that these shoes are a return, and the person who did the return swapped the shoes and someone inspecting the return who is not too familiar with the shoes can easily be fooled by good quality fakes. I am asking Caliroots for replacements, if their customer support could miraculously do that.

Looks dodgy to me personally. These days it's so hard to buy knowing with confidence that is not fake

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes but you're being insane.
Why in the actual **** would a retailer with 20 years experience like Cali Roots be selling fakes?
They would place the wholesale order, CP would ship their order directly to them, they would list and sell those items.
Saying they are fake is just being unhappy with what you received, in which case just move on and buy something else.

Jappuli

Reaction score
I have worked around 10 years in e-commerce and part of my work is dealing with fraud. I am quite an experinced fraud detector, and because of certain reasons, I am a very detail oriented person. So instead of doing something I should be doing, I have been comparing these two shoes and found out few reasons that are a tell that ones I received from Caliroots are fakes. Maybe I'll write more about it when I have more time, but here is an easy tell:

When they produce the cheap knockoff, the cut corners because their point is not to make exact copies, they just want to make best they can with as little time as needed. That means the differences are easier found in places that are not fully visible.

In genuine Achilles Low, there is an "unnescessary" detail on the tongue of the shoe. The stitching is a little bit rounded, like there was a dent in it. This detail is not present in fakes, the stitching is straight (and if you start counting, you can see that the sitching in general is lazier, with less stitches per cm), as you can see in this comparison picture:
IMG_20200909_025929.jpg

So yes, Caliroots sent me fakes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics