• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concub1ne

Reaction score
I've been eyeing dem pythons over in the epaulet mto thread and am hoping for some input on the rain last.

http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...python_austerity_brogue_special_order_deposit

I'm an 8 in Robert and Oscar.
I'm a 7.5 in AS 99, 109, and 724, as well as Forest.

I was leaning towards an 8 just to be safe, but then read on carminas website that they consider the rain an EE wide last, so now I don't know what to think.

frezon

Reaction score
Quote:
The Rain last is amongst the roomiest from Carmina and if you use 7.5 in Forest I would go for the same with Rain.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been answered further back in the thread, but could I please have some input into how the Robert (ie the balmoral boot) last fits people with high insteps?

I'd absolutely love to get a pair, but am unsure of fit and have nowhere I can try it on before purchasing.

I fit the Rain last well - can anyone compare the height of the instep on the Rain last to that of the Robert?

enjoiii

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I currently have a pair of Carminas in 11.5 (suede) in the forest last that I have had for a while and love. I bought a pair of oxfords (leather) in 11.5 in the robert last, the shoes look great but they feel much tighter around the laces. Will they generally loosen up after wearing them a few times, I remember the forest's being a little tight when i first got them also.

Thanks.

Concub1ne

Reaction score
FWIW I wear a 7.5 in forest, but had to go up half a size to an 8 for a boot on the robert last. Supposedly forest is one of their roomiest lasts. Perhaps someone who has put some miles on their carminas can chime in on the stretching.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of these models (captoe bals; one straight tip, one perf tip) are on the Forest Last.

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3476659

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3476662

I was really hoping that the straight tip version would currently come in burgundy shell; it does not. The perf tip version, however, does, and the website indicates plenty of sizes in stock. If someone has the burgundy shell straight tip version and is looking to get rid of it, let me know. :D

I have no Carmina shoes or boots, but I do have numerous shell models, shoes and boots, from Alden, C&J, etc., and various calf models from various makers. What size would I take on the Forest last? For frame of reference, I am:

TTS - US9.5D
C&J - UK8.5E (341, 325; 324; 317; 240)
JL - UK8.5E (8896; 7000)
EG - UK9E (82, 202)

Thanks.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you'd be safe with a UK8.5. I have Carminas in Forest, Rain, and Simpson. For me, Simpson is narrower than Forest, and Rain is wider than Forest. My feet are fairly narrow with medium instep. But I think the Forest last is just a very forgiving one, so given that you seem to be a pretty standard 8.5/9.5, UK8.5 and Forest should work out well.

Since you say that the straight tip version doesn't come in burgundy shell, I assume that you've already contacted Betty to make sure. But in case you haven't, it's worth emailing her.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you'd be safe with a UK8.5. I have Carminas in Forest, Rain, and Simpson. For me, Simpson is narrower than Forest, and Rain is wider than Forest. My feet are fairly narrow with medium instep. But I think the Forest last is just a very forgiving one, so given that you seem to be a pretty standard 8.5/9.5, UK8.5 and Forest should work out well.

Since you say that the straight tip version doesn't come in burgundy shell, I assume that you've already contacted Betty to make sure. But in case you haven't, it's worth emailing her.

From Betty via email: "Depending on your size it is in Cognac or Black Cordovan but not on burgundy at this moment."

She also suggested UK8.5, but I am always open to opinions. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both of these models (captoe bals; one straight tip, one perf tip) are on the Forest Last.

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3476659

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3476662

I was really hoping that the straight tip version would currently come in burgundy shell; it does not. The perf tip version, however, does, and the website indicates plenty of sizes in stock. If someone has the burgundy shell straight tip version and is looking to get rid of it, let me know. :D

I have no Carmina shoes or boots, but I do have numerous shell models, shoes and boots, from Alden, C&J, etc., and various calf models from various makers. What size would I take on the Forest last? For frame of reference, I am:

TTS - US9.5D
C&J - UK8.5E (341, 325; 324; 317; 240)
JL - UK8.5E (8896; 7000)
EG - UK9E (82, 202)

Thanks.

I should also ask if any of you have either model above, or both. If yes, thoughts?

DCRoyal

Reaction score
I am in need of a simple captoe bal, and Carmina's version on the forest last looks perfect. Reading through this thread, and realizing everyones fit is different, I couldnt come to a comfortable enough conclusion on my own so I am forced to ask...

I am a 12.5D on the Hampton. On Carmina's website this suggests I would be a UK 12, but I see many here take a size down from US in the UK sizing. Can anyone speak to the Aberdeen and its corresponding fit on the Forrest?

Thanks in advance!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am in need of a simple captoe bal, and Carmina's version on the forest last looks perfect.  Reading through this thread, and realizing everyones fit is different, I couldnt come to a comfortable enough conclusion on my own so I am forced to ask...

I am a 12.5D on the Hampton.  On Carmina's website this suggests I would be a UK 12, but I see many here take a size down from US in the UK sizing.  Can anyone speak to the Aberdeen and its corresponding fit on the Forrest? 

Thanks in advance!

Carmina (Betty; see above) recommended I go a full size down from my usual US size for a Forest-lasted shoe.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I should also ask if any of you have either model above, or both. If yes, thoughts?

I have the 732 in black calf. It's a great cap toe. Very comfortable right out of the box. Handsome, classical shape. My impression is that toe box of the Forest last is a little taller than similar shoes, but I think that I notice more in terms of fit than appearance.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a 12.5D on the Hampton. On Carmina's website this suggests I would be a UK 12, but I see many here take a size down from US in the UK sizing.

i'm curious about this as well. I'm a 9D on the Hampton last from Alden and according to the epaulet.com site I should go down to a UK 8. Anyone have any experience with the Carmina Taylor split-toe last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads