1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Moloch38

Moloch38 Senior member

I am a 9.5D, do you think I'd be a 8UK then? Looking at the Forest for some Wholecuts and the Uetam for the suede loafers.

2. Doktor Corn

Doktor Corn Active Member

I wouldn't know; I was actually just asking for opinions myself.

3. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

1.5 sizes not including US to UK conversion? Meaning if you are around 10.5 US then you're going to buy 9 US in Carmina? I ask because I am slightly narrower than medium with flat feet

4. konadog

konadog Senior member

i got the sizing wrong on these monk straps and now they are up in B&S. They are listed as a US 10, but i feel they fall in the 9.5 - 10 range.

[​IMG]

5. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

1.5 sizes including US to UK conversion. normally I wear US8 in most shoes and I have four pairs of Carminas in UK7 in various lasts (robert, forest, rain, queens). For my most recent forest last MTO pre-order, I went to UK6.5, which would be US7.5.

6. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

Ah that makes sense. Do the UK7 not fit as well as you'd like, which is why you're going to UK6.5 in the Forest (as I understand is a pretty standard last)?

7. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

UK7 is fine in the lasts I have except the Forest. I have to pull the laces pretty tight so the blucher ends are nearly touching at the last eyelet. It's wearable, but just a bit loose even after the sole has been broken in.

Forest is a pretty standard last. I think my foot is getting narrower and maybe even shorter from rock climbing over the past several years. My climbing shoes are intentionally sized down for a snug/tight fit.

8. DandyStatsProf

DandyStatsProf Member

I think you should go for an 8 instead of an 8.5. Betty from Carmina told me that basically everyone goes down a full size from their usual US size when I emailed her.

9. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

So no one can speak to what a 12B in Alden's plaza last would translate to in terms of Carmina lasts?

10. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

Maybe you'd have some luck in the epaulet thread. They sell both aldens and carminas.

11. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

I have a pair of shell derbys in Forest which are my best fitting shoes, and I just tried on the C&J Cavendish tassel loafer last weekend which I believe is on last 325. I wear UK 10 in the Carminas and I tried 10 UK in the C&J, the fit was spot on. My forefeet are wider, while my heel is more on the narrow side, so if I go for enough toe space, I get often some heel slippage, but here it was not the case. The only problem is, I don't know if I am ready for a tassel loafer yet :)

Hope that helps!

12. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

13. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I'm considering participating in the navy shell cordovan MTO on the rain last. I wear a 10.5D on the Allen Edmonds 4 and 5 last. However, ideally I would wear a 10.25D.

Was size am I on the Rain last?

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Agreed. Despite the toe-shape, the Rain last has a generous fit. I usually take a US10/UK9 but I even, briefly flirted with the idea of getting an 8.5 on the Rain last before settling on a 9.

Therefore, I would say that if you are a US9, you should get an 8 on the Rain last.

15. Preparatory

Preparatory Senior member

I usually wear 9,5 US in AE what should I get in Carmina last rain??

16. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Hey guys, skimmed through the thread and just wanted thoughts on what i've gathered before I pull the trigger on a pair...

I currently wear:

US 7 C&J on 200 (chukka)
    UK 5.5 G&G on MH71 (dub monk)

US7 for most other shoes, I do however feel they might be just a smidge big.
    My G&G's in 5.5 are on the snugger side and thin socks are more comfortable than thicker ones, though both fit.

My assumption:

UK 6 in Simpson last
    UK 5.5 in Rain last

...yay or nay?

From reading, Rain seems to be bigger/roomier, hence the size down.

17. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

Try shooting Leaves a pm, he sells both G&G and Carmina, so he might be able to help you.

18. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Glad to see a member who share the same size as me! (I personally do 5.5uk on both lasts. and wear 5.5uk on lobb 7000, 8000, and EG 888 as well)
    Rain is supposedly wider, more comfortable last (and they are) but not too wide.

I say go with 8.5uk for Carmina Rain.

19. Preparatory

Preparatory Senior member

Even though My AE 9,5D fits a bit on the snug side?

20. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It's really your decision at this point. Few of the members I have spoken to recently (while doing a Carmina MTO) has mentioned that they size down 1 full size from their AE.
    But if 9.5D is a bit on the snug side and you'd wish for it to be a bit bigger, 9uk maybe a perfect choice! [​IMG]