• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

bubba04

Reaction score

Can you post a pic with some better light (daylight)?

@ steviecakes: I second that -- would love to see better (and more detailed) pics of those jeans. From that one pic it looks dope.

Last edited:

steviecakes

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The jeans are H&M. I'll post better/more detailed pictures soon.

tumblr_lpmv6sAk5v1qhc6iro1_500.jpg

This is a Levi's denim jacket. I cut the sleeves off and then tried dyeing black with Rit, but it just turned into a darker navy. So I applied a thin layer of DupliColor Vinyl & Fabric Coating that I had leftover from touching up some car upholstery. The results came out better than expected. Unfortunately it was too small for me to begin with. I guess I'll give it to my sister or one of my skinnier friends :embar:

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Speaking of DIY, does anyone know any good online leather dealers? I want enough lambskin to make two sets of sleeves, and know nothing about anything. I don't need tip-top whatever, because I'm going to **** everything up at least once...For people who have done this, any tips? Websites? Sketchy back-alleys?

Halp?
you might go to a fabric store and get a yard or two of muslin. about two bucks a yard. try your idea with the muslin, and make corrections instead of screwing up the lambskin. how do you plan to go about doing this? are you going to sew by hand or machine?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Less exotic than some other posts but...Anyone have any basic sewing tutorials? Particularly for bringing in shirts? More than any other investment, a sewing machine and tailored shirts would really help out my wardrobe. I have a huge drop (I'm 5.7 and 150 - bulked from 125) which means when I buy button downs that fit my shoulders the lower back balloons out and looks sloppy. Along with darting, I saw something on here before about taking in the sides as a more subtle way of tailoring. I'd love to buy a sewing machine and get too it but could use some guidance.

many fabric stores have sewing classes. just bring a shirt and they will guide you.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is it possible to turn a center back box pleat into a back dart (like BoO)?

yes you can.
open the yoke where the pleat enters it. turn the pleat inside out. you now have an inverted pleat. with a very long stitch sew the pleat closed. as you sew toward the waist, curve so as to make the waist smaller and then back out to make the butt larger. now press the pleat straight and flat neatly. both inside and outside. now the long stitches are temporary, sew in the waist area about 3 inches of permanent stitches. now do the same at the top of the pleat but about 1.5 inches. now remove the long temp stitches. tuck the pleat back in the yoke and stitch down.

effang

Reaction score
I like the momotaro going to battle white stripes. What would i need to replicate these on other items?

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Bumping this. Here's one I did a while ago. I've since bleached the whole thing and am thinking about painting it black.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice. But how do you guys get the bleach smell to go away? I soaked some jeans way back when Synthese posted his APCs, and while I got the color right, I'm almost afraid to put them on, they smell so strongly of chemicals. :uhoh:

(Six or seven washes, still no sign of letting up).

Last edited:

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
I found hanging them up outside did more good for the smell than washing.

EDIT: Google says vinegar. I might just try it.

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nice. But how do you guys get the bleach smell to go away? I soaked some jeans way back when Synthese posted his APCs, and while I got the color right, I'm almost afraid to put them on, they smell so strongly of chemicals. :uhoh:

(Six or seven washes, still no sign of letting up).

lots of hot washes, lots of hanging. it takes a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads