1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

anyone know where to get around 50 eyelets that are used in shoes and the tools for setting them.

(dno mm/inch measurements could someone help me out there too)

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

^

[​IMG]

Try googling "eyelet pliers". (Don't know if that's the correct name for the tool, but it works as a search term.)

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Leatherworking and nautical repair type stores will all have them. Check ebay as well, there are occasionally deals to be had there

4. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

yeah. essentially what i wanted to do was make some

[​IMG]

i got a plain hi top white sneakers to do it on hopefully i'll get the eyelet punchers and crimpers and eventually do it, i need to find a place where they sell long laces eg. 63 inches that are 0.5 inch thick.

5. Notre

Notre Senior member

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

This sounds really, really neat.

And thanks for the laces suggestion. Does anyone know a place that sells long, oily-looking, leather-looking laces? Like the kind you see whizzing around super-expensive leather boots?

7. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

Heres the crappy hi tops i got (canvas LOL!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The slouchiness of the ankle/heel and stuff make it seem possible. I was also going to paint the grey part once i had finished white with leaving a little off the edges like a mmm gat.

Or should i scrap that idea and do something else? I want them to be white though, but what about this

[​IMG]

8. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

Well i was bored today and turned some crappy "canvas gats"
    as you can see the shape of the shoes has really been screwed, these were my uber beaters (got them for 15)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

into some weird painted ones. I only did one coat, might do another. reckon i should?
    gonna keep contrast black laces, might get shorter ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What i have learnt:
    - acrylic paint makes canvas stiff, makes it stiffer than leather
    - extra coat of paint probably would smoothen things out, filling in the gaps etc.

i really liked how it turned out, but open to suggestions.

9. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

[​IMG]

10. biggerliz

biggerliz Member

I really like what you guys have done here, specifically some paint details on the jeans. I find my jean pockets a little plain.

what exactly do i need to go about "painting" my jeans?

acrylic paint? what else? process?

thanks!

11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I posted this on another thread, but my wife is a very talented crafter, and makes a lot of her own and my son's clothes, and made me this modern version of a Japanese working jacket, using thick cotton fabric printed with old Japanese beer labels. The photo, taken by a friend when I wasn't aware, is a bit too arty to make out everything, but the jacket fastens in kimono style, is just shorter than hip length, and has wide sleeves which fall above the wrist. The main body of the jacket is lined with orange cotton.
    le[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Not sure paint would work very well on jeans. You can try waxing them. I've seen people use lacquer on jackets and the end results were pretty cool

13. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

That looks great, i was thinking of doing something like that in my spare time but have no idea how to start

14. FlyingMonkey

My wife gets most of the patterns online, but they do tend to be in Japanese and as we saw earlier when discussing knitting patterns, translating information (written and visual) can be difficult for both language and cultural reasons. My wife, being Japanese, doesn't have this problem herself! You can buy patterns from places like this.

The sewing for basic Japanese traditional clothes is not too difficult. All of them are based around rectangular sections, made from fabric that is sold in standard widths. There is a nice guide to making a yukata (summer kimono) here.

15. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

"My Japanese Wife" is the new "I Live In Mongolia" or PRC or whatever

16. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Thanks this is very informative. Making clothes seems way harder than my architecture class to say the least. And then there's the translating...

17. FlyingMonkey

I presume this is some kind of forum in-joke because I have no idea what you are talking about.

18. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

[​IMG]

painted all black chucks with black gesso paint a while ago. inspired by the mmm painted gats and the drkshdw hogwash denim. subtle and adds a distressed waxed/matte black look to it.

1 person likes this.
  19. theom-

theom- Senior member

damn the gesso paint is a good idea

20. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

it's really easy to do. helps if the shoes are already worn and distressed as the gesso can really make the wrinkles standout if applied right. i had the pair for like 5 years and got bored one day basically.