• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is common but not normal. It is a relatively simple repair for any competent cobbler.

I have half a dozen Alden's with similar loose stitchings. Alden will fix it for free if you ask. But you will have to pay for outbound shipping if you were in the US. I don't know what would be the policy for overseas claims.

I would recommend seeking advice from Tassel, politely suggest to have the repair done locally, but have Tassel reimburse you.

Do you know if they fix seconds?

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At current sale price they are a steal. You won't find a better looking wingtip boot with the build quality at this price again. You can always return but don't sleep on it
+1 on the RL Lindricks at their presently reduced price point.

takashi78

Reaction score
It is common but not normal. It is a relatively simple repair for any competent cobbler.

I have half a dozen Alden's with similar loose stitchings. Alden will fix it for free if you ask. But you will have to pay for outbound shipping if you were in the US. I don't know what would be the policy for overseas claims.

I would recommend seeking advice from Tassel, politely suggest to have the repair done locally, but have Tassel reimburse you.

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions.
Have emailed the dealer.

Now to find a good enough local cobbler.

hiattbecker

Reaction score
I k
New to this thread and was hoping for some advice.

I've been lusting over J.Crew's burgundy shell PCT boots labeled "Alden cap toe cordovan boots" for quite some time now. I can't exactly justify the purchase right now, but I've been keeping an eye on eBay and TheShoeMart for any deals. I also see now that I missed a coupon code last week that would've worked, but alas.

Regardless, if I do get a chance to snag these on the cheap(er), I'd like to know what my likely size is. My local J.Crew in Austin, Texas doesn't have any Barrie lasted boots for me to try on, so I was wondering if there are other stores I should be checking out. I'm an 8.5D/E in Allen Edmonds' 5-65 last and 9D/E in their 1-511 last, if that gives enough information for a best-guess.

Also, it seems that J.Crew's site lists some sizes as out of stock and some as backordered. Does this mean the former sizes won't be made again, or does that change? Maybe there's a comparable boot I should be looking at elsewhere?

Thanks for your help.

I know that "by George" carries Alden's in Austin. They'll have a Barrie last indy you can try on.

Good luck!

latestyle

Reaction score
kentyman- - I'm in Austin as well. By George on Lamar has some Alden selections, as does Texas Clothier, and Johnstone Made to Measure.

kentyman

Reaction score
Not sure of any stores in Austin carrying Alden. If you're ever in Houston, Norton Ditto carries a bunch of stock Alden shoes. Ask them to size you in the barrie last and that will help. If you are 8.5D or E in AE's 5 last, I would bet you could wear the 8.5D in that J Crew PCT boot. That's my best guess seeing as how you are on the wide side of medium width. Other barrie lasted shoes may require you to go down to an 8D. The J Crew PCT boot is notorious for being a little more snug/narrow than usual.

All the best...
Keep checking back is my advice - at some point, the other sizes should be available again, though who knows when. Maybe call them and ask? This is the boot that got a lot of people hooked on Alden and every time I am in J Crew in NYC, I see it and know exactly why.
I know that "by George" carries Alden's in Austin. They'll have a Barrie last indy you can try on.

Good luck!
kentyman- - I'm in Austin as well. By George on Lamar has some Alden selections, as does Texas Clothier, and Johnstone Made to Measure.

Thanks, guys! I'll head down to By George, etc., and start by trying on the 8.5D.

Last edited:

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All: sorry, these aren't Aldens, but it's always nice to see what a little elbow grease will do for old shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads