1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Crepe is very quiet and comfortable

Desert boots with crepe sole are the object to the creation of the word creep

2. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Now that's funny right there.....[​IMG]

3. Spoon

Spoon Senior member

thank you. are there any differences with the alden jcrew and the Alden chromexcel aside from the sole?
    thank you for replying.

4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I am not sure which Alden CXL model that you are referring to, but the Brown CXL that Alden is now making pretty regularly is a very different shoe. It is unlined, of the dover pattern (made of two pieces instead of the wholecut design), and on the flex-welt (single oil-soaked sole). Its an uber light and soft shoe. This is the opposite. The creep sole is very heavy, but is terrific for inclement weather (whatever that is). The plantation creep sole will provide nice traction even on a wet surface. The oil-soaked does as well, but not to the same degree. If you like the look of the Natural CXL (Wholecut) PTB, go for it! If you are planning to get a bit of rain, then you should be happy with them.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

LS is too busy with New Balance sneaker new arrivals. :D Kidding. Not really.

My last two purchases from LS have been EG and JL. It's been awhile since I have purchased Aldens from them.

6. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Maybe they should change their name to Polyurethane Soul.
    In any event, their Alden cronyism is a huge turnoff for those of us who didn't attend junior college with Tom.

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Comosta ka pare! Alden will make chromexcel shoes and boots with different types of soles (crepe, double waterlock, flex welt, double leather, commando, etc...) for different make-ups. There are several Alden for J Crew natural chromexcel make-ups that vary with sole... PTB on crepe, perf cap toe boot on commando, chukka on double waterlock, blue chrmxl PTB on double leather, etc...

Mike (mdubs) also pointed out that there is an unlined brown chromexcel version (not offered by J Crew) that's on a single flex welt sole. I guess the point is that there are a number of combinations for soles and natural chromexcel. There isn't necessarily one make-up relegated to one type of sole (except for the unlined PTB which I believe is always on the single flex welt sole).

Also, I do not own any plantation crepe soled shoes, so I can't really comment. I do love natural chromexcel though. Great pick-up with the J Crew make-up!

I hope I did not misunderstand your question, and I hope that was helpful. Cheers...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Senior member

kamusta! thanks for the reply. i am slowly learning a lot on alden shoes. i do admit i am a newbie on all this but am learning. this is actually my first pair of alden's having been initiated
    with my first couple of Shell shoes from Allen edmonds just this year. I'm finding a soft spot for natural chromexcel, whiskey and ravello shells!
    thank you and appreciate the reply. i was worries as many of the crepe sole shoes I've researched on in the past were very rigid and stiff. glad to know these are ok.
    its pretty much inclement weather locally always hot, humid and wet! i believe i made the right choice. thanks

9. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

some nonshell Aldens on sale on the Bureau with one size 9.5D shel #8 dover with light edge.

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Wassup wit dat?

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Alden for Brooks Brothers Wingtip Balmorals in Black Shell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the road again, so stuck with iPhone pics. Also didn't get time to brush them before this wearing... :-(

-Mike

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Well-Known Member

Anyone know of plaza straight bal on water lock or commando? Color 8 preferred but black is fine.

Need a sleeker workhorse (pun intended).

13. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

So I apologize in advance for the horrible picture quality.
    It was spur of the moment and dark in my living room this morning.
    This little guy was supervising as I put my shoes on.
    Ravello PTB by the way...
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:12D is usually not quite as in demand. Normally a good thing, unless it comes to short runs.

15. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Excellent shoe, my burgandy pair with brown patina is hands down a sleeker look and better fit for me than same size in similar/comparable Alden 974, with its bulbous toe and odd fitting Tremont last.

16. zennypoo

zennypoo Senior member

Beautiful shoes, Mike! Love the eyelets.

-D

17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

+1. I could get lost in Mike's eyelets... :rotflmao:

18. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Love the hotel carpeting, Mike! And the shoes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  19. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

Thanks. Strangely and sadly, I just offloaded my 974s for that reason. Much happier with these--actually prefer bals over bluchers...

20. zennypoo

zennypoo Senior member

Mike's..beautiful eyelets...?

lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.