• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

str1185

Reaction score
http://www.riderbootshop.com/rider-boot-co-8420811-walnut-shell-cordovan/

This is a steal for someone.

Would love to ask Carmina to do a Kirkwood boot (Ravello Captoe with commando sole). Who knows when Alden will ever do this one again, or if I'll happen to be by my computer before someone on this forum will snatch them up.

I ordered a black wholecut from Carmina a few months ago. It was a very easy transaction. I forgot to order shoe trees when I checked out online on a Sunday night, and was able to follow up with an email on Monday afternoon. They emailed me back right away saying if I sent them the cost of shoe trees via paypal, that they could throw them in when they shipped my shoes. I got the shoes and shoe trees by Thursday. I lived in Philly, and shipping from Spain was very fast.

Again, I have 7 pairs of Aldens cordovan, and really do enjoy them, but sadly, I'm at a 50% defect rate when dealing with them. I really just want this last Kirkwood boot. Finding this boot online was the first time I was exposed to Aldens, and have been chasing that pair since. I don't like coming onto the forum to talk about a different manufacturer, but if there is demand from others for this, and Carmina is willing, lets try and figure something out.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina has numerous unique shell models and Epaulet has quite a few sizes in stock. I recently purchased the saddle shell wingtip boot from them.

Carmina offers many shell models Alden does not offer - e.g., double monk.

I personally probably prefer the color of Carmina's saddle shell over Alden's whiskey shell.

Carmina's ruby shell is very red, as in, "that is a red (not reddish) shoe/boot." It's too red for me, but others seem to like it. Color 4 is quite red, but ruby makes color 4 look downright non-red.

Keep me posted as this matter moves forward. Thanks.

stuffstuff

Reaction score
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by mediahound

although not black, you might check out:

http://needsupply.com/chromexcel-blucher.html

Chromexcel, flex welt, barrie last:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks - i was considering that one too actually (maybe both?)

i do like chromexcel leather (i actually posted about the plain toe boot in natural cxl a day or two ago) but i've noticed that the texture seems to be extremely inconsistent so i'm kind of reluctant to buy it without seeing it in person.

the leather on the black one also has an unusual look to it. they call it lady calf...which is something i haven't seen before, but there seems to be a few shoes offered through leathersoul that have it (and google shows no mention of it through any other retailer).

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ruby shell is awesome.

Be aware that sometimes "cognac" comes out more cigar than ravello.

Cognac (AS, but you get the idea), #4, Ruby, Ravello.
Pretty awesome. I love the purple lining in the Ruby boots.

retrolike

Reaction score
Question for you Alden guys...I need size help!

I was referred here from some guys at badger&blade and I'm betting that someone here will be able to help me. I'm wanting to buy my first pair of Aldens. I'm not quite sure what to buy first, but my question is about size. I currently have 7 or 8 pairs of Allen Edmonds and my size is 12EEE. I've tried 12EE before and it never seems to work. Someone told me in the past that Alden tend to run a size larger. What would my size be for Alden's? Do they have a triple E? I don't really have a great Alden dealer locally so I'll probably end up buying online. I'm thinking Shoe Mart. What do you all think?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was referred here from some guys at badger&blade and I'm betting that someone here will be able to help me. I'm wanting to buy my first pair of Aldens. I'm not quite sure what to buy first, but my question is about size. I currently have 7 or 8 pairs of Allen Edmonds and my size is 12EEE. I've tried 12EE before and it never seems to work. Someone told me in the past that Alden tend to run a size larger. What would my size be for Alden's? Do they have a triple E? I don't really have a great Alden dealer locally so I'll probably end up buying online. I'm thinking Shoe Mart. What do you all think?

Great site

...depends on the particular AE model, (more specifically the last) and the particular Alden model (specifically the last). I don't think you can really make such a generalization that Alden run a size larger than AE.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What AE last(s) do you wear? And what Alden lasts are you looking at? Special Alden makeup aren't often available even in an E width, but many stock styles are available in E, EE, maybe EEE. Now how long it will take to get them... that's another question.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Great site

...depends on the particular AE model, (more specifically the last) and the particular Alden model (specifically the last). I don't think you can really make such a generalization that Alden run a size larger than AE.
Retro, if you can tell us which AE shoes you have, and the Alden models you are interested in, we can probably give you an idea. But Bakes is correct, there is no way to give you advice based on what you have provided.

retrolike

Reaction score
What AE last(s) do you wear? And what Alden lasts are you looking at? Special Alden makeup aren't often available even in an E width, but many stock styles are available in E, EE, maybe EEE. Now how long it will take to get them... that's another question.
I'm not sure about the lasts. My fav pair are the park avenues, I also have 3 pairs of mcclains. I'm looking at getting a pair of Alden Indys...I've been told they are a must for anyone who owns Alden's. I also want a pair similar to my park avenues.
Great site

Thats what I've heard from some of the guys at B&B who own Alden's and AE's. If I order a pair from Shoe Mart and they don't fit, can I return them?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok,

They have other tones too. I'm totally open to doing it in Cognac.

I think I agree that cognac would be more versatile.

Alden has the exclusive rights to certain colors, but that being said, if this could be done in any color, which color would those interested choose?

I'll go with the general consensus. It's more the style a d Carmina's flexibility which make this so cool.

I spoke with them about how their last were too formal and pointed and they literally asked me to send them a boot(a) and they'd create that last.

They have a ton of Horween shell. Why not have them meet demand. I'm hoping that going directly through Carmina will lower the price compared to what retailers, who buy wholesale from Carmina, have to make.

If we all knew for a fact, that our grail shoes could be made without a two year wait and with Carmina's incredibly craftsmanship; I feel firmly that this frustrated thread might take a more satisfied direction.

Gcb3, hand claps to you for this creative idea! I am very likely in on this given how most of the responses have been. Here is some input/preferences from me, but on most I am flexible:

- Color in the vein of cigar, cognac, saddle would be my preference. Ruby would unfortunately count me out. It's just not versatile enough for my needs.
- Preference is a double leather sole but I'd go commando or Dainite.
- All eyelet or with speedhooks, I'm open.
- Flat welt or storm welt, I'm open. Maybe a preference for a flat welt.
- My preference is a close heel (270) vs. a 360 but not a show-stopper
- Preference would be a cap toe with no brogueing but I'm open.

In summary, this sounds very exciting. Thanks to you for starting this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads