1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    wear only in good health

3. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

The farfetch - Italian store offering were pebbled shell. They only had 3 or 4 sizes left by the time they advertised through farfetch earlier this year. The size description was also difficult to understand. I called and emailed, no luck, but a fellow member scored a pair and loves them.
    And yes, I would love a pair of them boots.

4. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^^ Then I stand corrected. Either way...I want those boots.

5. Don L

Don L Senior member

Grant Cigar Cap's today

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

7. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

If you have been followed the thread recently, you should know that i have a pair of 975 size 7.5D with minor stains. Would like to see if anyone would accept the dye stains for a discount price. Would also consider trading alden size 7d or 7.5d. I will return them next week if no one is interested.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Nice DonL! I need those in my life!

1 person likes this.
  9. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Pretty sure that's Horween shell. However, despite the great looks, they are very rare and extremely expensive.

$1100 was the last price I heard on that.

10. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Sure looks like Earth Chamois to me.

Interesting that that AAAC forum discussion was talking about a shell shortage back in 2007. Is the shortage something that happens every few years or so?

11. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

They had - but appear to now be out of - black boots in a pebble grain horsehide. They were definitely still in limited stock not too long ago. I also thought - but am not positive - that I saw a model some time ago in a pebble grain shell. This is apart from the "regular" shell that goes for $1100 as you mention. My point was really just that if viberg is offering this, I can't see why Alden - which was offering it - now can't (at least in small batches).

12. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

quick OT question: is $184 for BB's shell cordovan belt a good deal? I saw old threads saying at one point they were discounted to $99, but i doubt that'll happen in the near future!

13. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

The shell market just seems funky in general. Maybe Horween has Alden by the balls because they need so much black and #8?

Scotch grain is a tannery-side operation I'd imagine. Or it could just be what each shoemaker is willing to do with their hides. Rancourt dies all their shell inhouse, and we even see color 8 CXL offered by pretty much everyone except Alden. I'm just idly speculating though.

14. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

I've seen scotch grain from bull hides, very very tough leather, good for the winter. Didn't know it was done in shell at well.

15. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Rider Boot Co. had a pair of pebble shell cordovan boots earlier this year, it even made it onto their discounted selection (I think about $500-600 for the pair at that discount, not at full price). So, it still exists.

16. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

You could have done slightly better a couple of weeks ago during their sale I think it would have been ~150 so depending on perspective 184 is good but not the best.

17. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

[​IMG] Lookin' very good Budapest12! Enjoy them often and in great health...

18. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

thanks for the info!

19. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Cigar Grants + EP Russet Tweeds? You are constantly on fire, DonL.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.