1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gforce

gforce Senior member

I can't make the chukka work for me. I have a low instep and my feet literally swim in there with my normal size. I tried going down a half size and the heels were fine but they were too short………They were comfortable in the store but after a few hours, not at all…….

2 people like this.
  2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

The issue people seem to have with the cordovan chukka is the high volume of the shoe combined with the lack of ability to lace it tightly. The shoe lends to a looser fit. A lot of people don't like that and aren't going to be able to make it work. I wear 9.5E in the chukka boots along with all other Barrie shoes/boots. The fit is different than my other shoes, but I don't mind it.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I wear the same size.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

if looking for a snug fit on barrie chukka, size down one full size from tts and up 1 width. i am a tts 12d and a 11E barrie chukka fit best. otherwise picture yourself rolling with the cordovan waves but as alc eluded to, many prefer that look

5. gnu

gnu Senior member

I've been scouring the web for a while but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Looking for a indy, plain toe, tanker... basically any boot in shell that's not color 8 or black. Any retailers carrying something like that...

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Some retailers may have odd sizes available (Alden DC may have a few cigar captoe boots, Alden NYC may have some cigar or whiskey Indy, etc), but sizes will be very limited. Basically there are few if any "rare" shell cordovan boots available for sale at the moment globally (mindblowing when you think about it). Some retailers have reordered these boots, but timing on their arrival is unknown. It will be easier to fund chukka boots over the next year than say wingtip, plain toe or tanker boots.

7. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

I tried this method and it works fairly well, although the toe room isn't ideal. I'm surprised Alden doesn't make the two eyelet chukka in narrower widths as a standard offering, as it does with other stock models (975, 990, etc).

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I've wondered that myself, yet to find a narrow width Barrie lasted chukka. Also with sizing down one, you're pretty much resigned to thin dress socks. No OTC $$$$mere

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  9. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Peter, I ran into this issue a couple of months ago and opted to contact Alden about it. I sent them pictures of the blotches and asked what they were and whether anything could be done to 'fix' them. Alden sent me a mailing container, re-dyed the shoes and got them back to me in less than three weeks. They look much better now. I have some before/after pics that I will post in a day or two.

10. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the before and after pictures

11. jayce030

jayce030 Senior member

Leffot posted a 10D color 8 tanker if anyone is looking. Wonder if it is a pair that was returned with QC issues previously mentioned here?

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    black tassel
    cashmere otc
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Uncle, that's one of your sharpest looks yet

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

15. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I took advantage of the end of season sale at Need Supply (and added on the Style Forum discount) and picked up a pair of the 5-eyelet "Harrison" ranger mocc in the tobacco chamois. It's on everybody's dreaded plantation crepe sole but that actually doesn't bother me at all (I find it very comfortable).

Once it arrives, I'll then have the lace-up mocc in color #8, snuff suede, the tobacco, and natural CXL (the CXL from Rancourt though). I know folks love the LHS but I've never been much of a loafer guy. However, the lace-up version is quickly becoming my go-to shoe for all occasions. I wish I could find it in whiskey or cigar...

16. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

"Good evening sir". Your tassels and $$$$mere are sublime. I love the stripes on your suit.

17. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

For the guys that wear heavy socks for their Indy Boots, where do you buy them at?

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

19. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

jcrew
    timberland

I just look for thick marled versions

20. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Target sells some decent boot socks, I like Wool IQ. I'm not a dress sock with boots kind of guy, boots with boot socks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.