1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

J Crew for medium weight and Danner for a thicker boot sock

2. meso

meso Senior member

Liked anonymous ism socks this season for boot socks.

3. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

My question is if I get thicker boot socks will it stretch my indy boot?

4. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

doubt socks will stretch them. but cxl in itself will stretch

5. meso

meso Senior member

I should read this board more often for therapy.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

No

7. meso

meso Senior member

This question doesn't make any sense.
    Depends more on how tight you lace, what you do in them, type of leather, etc.

8. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

Okay planning on buying another pair if Aldens. Which would should I buy? My type of apparel is 80% J Crew maybe that will give you guys an idea.

9. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

would help to know what pairs you already have

10. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Wish I had known this when I purchased mine. They were my first new Alden shell purchase and I went the traditional 1/2 size down. I love the chukka and the 2-eyelet design is a nice feature for me, certainly not a liability. Depending on the socks I wear, I may throw an insert in the shoe but other than that, I love them and wear them all the time.

11. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I thought my commando-style shortwings were the most comfortable shoes ever made.........then I picked up a pair of longwings from jcrew on crepe. Easily my most comfortable shoe. I hear all the noise about how they will look once the sole wears down but I'll worry about that when the time comes. For now, simply enjoy what will likely become one of your most comfortable shoes. I was seriously considering the very same shoe. Nice pickup.

12. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

lol!

13. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

I only have a pair of Alden Indy Boot CXL

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

day to day dress business or casual?

15. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

Day to day casual

16. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

if by some miracle it were available, I'd grab something in cigar, be it a chukka, PTB, or LWB. very easy color to match pants/jeans to.. problem is, it's near existent at the moment. might be able to call around to all the alden flagship stores and get lucky if you're an oddball size, or hope on a preorder

if you want something more present time, could grab natural cxl offerings from leffot (preorder it seems on the LWB) or possibly shoemart.

[​IMG][​IMG]

jcrew brown LWB is another good choice. great with jeans/chinos and not priced tremendously like shell

[​IMG]

hmm or suede. could do snuff PTB on flex sole. sherman brothers, mouldedshoe, epaulet

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

Amazing reply! Thanks bro! How about whiskey? You think that would be good?

18. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

whiskey is nice, but I only own a single pair in that shade so I've never wore them casually. someone else can hopefully chime in, even better with a pic or two, of some whiskey in a more casual setting. I could see a PTB or LWB with some denim, but you'll be hard pressed to find any stock, same as ravello and cigar right now. skyvalet shows whiskey PTB in 12 (barrie assume), but I've never bought from them so not sure how accurate their online inventory is

if you're 11.5-12 in barrie, fransboone has whiskey LWB currently. exchange rate hurts tho if you're in the states..

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I wear my whiskey LWB casually all the time with denim. I think they look phenomenal. I don't know if I have any pics, but I'll check tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just wear them tomorrow and take some!

20. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Many on this thread, myself included, will tell you that you would be crazy not to buy something in Color 8, specifically the LWB (Model 975) or PTB (Model 990, or else the Brooks Bros version), given your needs and existing wardrobe. I certainly like all the suggestions you have gotten thus far, but I'm not alone when I say that Color 8 is King.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.