• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tanker make up is awesome. If I didn't have two other shell 8s ordered I would have jumped at them. That seller on eBay has other Aldens for similar prices. It will be interesting to see if they sell at that price.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd love to get some whiskey Alden's, but man, nine hundred bones? I was also looking at the Leffot NST #8 Tanker pre-order. Does anyone have an opinion on this make-up?

It's a great makeup - the antique edging really suits it. The commando sole increases the versatility. Highly recommended.

alex4nder

Reaction score

I was also looking at the Leffot NST #8 Tanker pre-order. Does anyone have an opinion on this make-up?

They're solid. My only word of warning is: they can run narrow (slightly more so than my Barrie short-wing boot). I've got big pinky toes, and my left foot is tight enough that I just got in on the next pre-order for a 9.5E, to replace the 9.5D I just received from Leffot. By comparison, my 9.5D Alden x JCrew Ravello LWBs are spacious.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I walked into Leffot with the intention of preordering the alpine grain longwing... However, after handling a pair in store, I decided against it (the crepe and the black alpine blend in together too much IMO). I went with the black cordovan longwing preorder instead... Two longwings on order (color 8/antique and black), I may grab a suede version or something than call it quits on the gunboats...

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're solid. My only word of warning is: they can run narrow (slightly more so than my Barrie short-wing boot). I've got big pinky toes, and my left foot is tight enough that I just got in on the next pre-order for a 9.5E, to replace the 9.5D I just received from Leffot. By comparison, my 9.5D Alden x JCrew Ravello LWBs are spacious.

This is true. My 9.5E tankers are narrower than all of my 9.5E longwings. They fit, but the narrowness is noticeable. Another example of a barrie lasted boot running smaller/narrower than shoes.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bar lacing looks nice on just about any model, bal or blucher, shoe or boot. For evidence of this I offer up the many pics put on here by Mac.
I totally agree and good point. I use bar on almost all my dress shoes and a few boots both odd and even eyelets. There are work arounds for odd numbered as pointed out recently and also on Ian's shoelace site. However for me I have found that having the laces come from under instead of out through the top of the last eyelets at the top is not a problem. They work just fine and no one is the wiser.
I'd love to get some whiskey Alden's, but man, nine hundred bones? I was also looking at the Leffot NST #8 Tanker pre-order. Does anyone have an opinion on this make-up?
Personal opinion of course but I actually prefer speed hooks on boots and also a commando sole so they would be close to idea for me. And nothing wrong with #8 either. Not only is the 9.5D already gone but I just went back to check again just in case and 10.5D and 8.5D are also gone now. They are going quickly in the common sizes.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is true. My 9.5E tankers are narrower than all of my 9.5E longwings. They fit, but the narrowness is noticeable. Another example of a barrie lasted boot running smaller/narrower than shoes.
Anyone have a comparison of the tanker boot fitting compared to the Alden shell chukka which is on the Barrie last also?

kinetic758

Reaction score

Yeah, Alden's grain and suedes are worth it. And I think calf is underrated on this thread, really. I love my J.Crew PT boots.

Hey I just received these same boots from J Crew. I find that these look narrower and fit slimmer than my AF89's and Indy 403's. The site said it was on a Trubalance last, but it doesn't exactly feel like it. Are you having the same experience?

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've definitely noticed this in my 11 D Tankers, which fit better than 11 D shoes on the barrie. I wonder if I should try 11 C for shoes on the barrie.

bucksfan

Reaction score

Its been said in here somewhere before that black will fade to a grayish in creases but nothing like the other colors. I believe black wax polish will prevent even that, should stay pretty black.

They turn whiteish/ grey In the rolls, but a good brushing takes care of it. Then, they're black. They do have a different lustre than black calf though, more like a black car with a layer of clear coat.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're a great looking boot as long as that's the boot you really want. If you really want something else, then it might be worth your while to paying just a bit more to get it.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think they're are a great looking boot as long as that's the boot you really want. If you really want something else, then it might be worth your while to paying just a bit more to get it.
Thank you dddrees, for the reasoned and sound advice.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think they're are a great looking boot as long as that's the boot you really want. If you really want something else, then it might be worth your while to paying just a bit more to get it.

I definitely believe in getting the shoes you really want over another style you merely like because they happen to be available or are, say, 10% cheaper.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you dddrees, for the reasoned and sound advice.
No problem.

I've made this mistake a couple of times myself. Get something less and either regret it or later go back and get what I really wanted and spend more than I should of to begin with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads