• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksh

Reaction score

I've had bad experiences with J. Gilbert. They don't seem to want my money. I also haven't been too persistant in following up, but they haven't responded to emails nor let me know about orders when they said they would.

I believe the best option is to just call, and keep calling, eventually they will have what you are after.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone size down for chukkas on the barrie from their usual barrie size? I find there to be significantly more room in the vamp in a chukka versus, say, a PTB.

I stay the same I think if I'd size down I'd have to change the width as well.

Roggie Rog

Reaction score
I'd like to ask what anyone can tell me about how to deal with a pair of #8 shell cordovan shoes that are slightly off from one another in color. I last polished the darker one with Alden #8 wax, and the other with Alden black wax to try to get them to match a bit better. Any constructive feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ I would have to see Pics but I am generally in favor of letting color variations be and chalk it up to the nature and beauty of shell ^^

Roggie Rog

Reaction score
^^ I would have to see Pics but I am generally in favor of letting color variations be and chalk it up to the nature and beauty of shell ^^
I thought that, too. I will try to post pics. Thanks!

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd like to ask what anyone can tell me about how to deal with a pair of #8 shell cordovan shoes that are slightly off from one another in color. I last polished the darker one with Alden #8 wax, and the other with Alden black wax to try to get them to match a bit better. Any constructive feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!
I believe the variations in shell cordovan is what gives them character. As long as the differences in colour are slight I think that with wear they'll even out over time.

unclesam099

Reaction score

I just got an email from Will and Leather Soul that my preordered chromexcel LHS arrived earlier than expected. Since the preorder I picked up a pair of suede LHS in an 11 that are definitely snug across the strap. I have 11s in plaza and aberdeen PTB that fit well and ordered the LHS in an 11 as well. I have read on the forum that chromexcel tends to give more than other leathers. Is that true? Any feedback is appreciated.

It will give a bit more. I have a pair of CXL PTB 11.5D that have stretched so that there is no space between the two sides of the laces. I wish I had got them in an 11.5C. My 11.5D 403 Indy boots have stretched a lot, too. I had bought a TSM seconds 403 in 11.5C but that was too narrow. In retrospect, I might have tried a 12C, but the non-D widths are more difficult to find. I fit 12D in the narrower Alden lasts (Hampton, Plaza, Aberdeen).

Try wearing them for a few hours at night for a few consecutive nights (on carpet) to see how they stretch out.

hypomnema

Reaction score

Has one one else rolled the dice with North River this weekend?  I put my credit card info in last Friday and submitted the order and now it says my order is "awaiting payment."  Did I do something wrong, or does someone there have to process it?  I guess I'll try contacting them... :eh:

I'm in the same boat. "Awaiting payment". I didn't know about their reputation until after I placed the order. Please post if you hear anything from them; I'll do the same.

str1185

Reaction score

I'm in the same boat. "Awaiting payment". I didn't know about their reputation until after I placed the order. Please post if you hear anything from them; I'll do the same.

Same here about learning NRO's business practices after ordering. I did get an email this morning updating status to awaiting shipment. Anyone else get anything further? Any actual tracking info?

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited the Ground Gripper Shoe Shop today. Did not make it out unscathed:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update on a longrunning restoration project:

Many readers will remember a pair of 974s that I've been loving back to life via the Mac Method. Just wanted to do a photo update of how they're progressing.

Ebayed in Dec. '11. Arrived very dark and caked with black polish through the creases.

After a little basic brushing in Feb. '12.

A little more concerted brushing in April '12, and maybe a first Reno application.

On Mac's consultation, began wetting down the blackened sections with a heavily damp cloth and scrubbing off the embedded black polish. Texture began to change over the toes with increased pressure.

After a Mac Method session in Jul. '12 or so.

Today:

Eggplant brilliance has reappeared over the toebox. Have also begun spooning out old, stubborn creases, and the shoe looks far improved structurally. Really beginning to shine back up with little brushing.

Just wanted to throw up this string of photos for anyone debating on battered Ebay shell. I snagged these for <$100, and while it's taken work and time, I have nonetheless enjoyed wearing them. If the shoe is structurally sound, shell can often come back from abuse and still look great. No doubt the process above would have been sped up as well if I'd focused on it more frequently, but it's been more of a pet project than anything. Focus a bit, leave it, and come back. Keep up your brushing, and use Reno sparingly.

The Method works!

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Update on a longrunning restoration project:

Many readers will remember a pair of 974s that I've been loving back to life via the Mac Method. Just wanted to do a photo update of how they're progressing.

Ebayed in Dec. '11. Arrived very dark and caked with black polish through the creases.

After a little basic brushing in Feb. '12.

A little more concerted brushing in April '12, and maybe a first Reno application.

On Mac's consultation, began wetting down the blackened sections with a heavily damp cloth and scrubbing off the embedded black polish. Texture began to change over the toes with increased pressure.

After a Mac Method session in Jul. '12 or so.

Today:

Eggplant brilliance has reappeared over the toebox. Have also begun spooning out old, stubborn creases, and the shoe looks far improved structurally. Really beginning to shine back up with little brushing.

Just wanted to throw up this string of photos for anyone debating on battered Ebay shell. I snagged these for <$100, and while it's taken work and time, I have nonetheless enjoyed wearing them. If the shoe is structurally sound, shell can often come back from abuse and still look great. No doubt the process above would have been sped up as well if I'd focused on it more frequently, but it's been more of a pet project than anything. Focus a bit, leave it, and come back. Keep up your brushing, and use Reno sparingly.

The Method works!

Those look nice.

Speaking of burgundy shell and infusing life back into them, I would also endorse Saphir shell cordovan cream in burgundy (Saphir calls the color "cordovan"). Said cream has done wonders, IMO, for burgundy shell that I deem as too light or too brown (such as the old AE burgundy shell). It will darken the shade of shell burgundy (unless, of course, the shell is quite dark to begin with, as is the case with many of my color 8 models).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads