• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree - it's hugely reassuring that they can take an infinite beating.

But so doing, and then trying to sell them under the tagline of "naturally distressed" ... is just... so...

closerlook

Reaction score
my restoration was actually $160, my b. I was considering B. Nelson, because I wanted flush toe-taps put on my chukkas (petty thuggin'), but I talked to Tom(?) at LSBH, and he talked me out of it. He said because only Alden has the original lasts, he would only use their restoration.

Can B Nelson do this on brand new soles post restoration as well? Take a little longer, maybe a little costlier. But would be the best of both worlds.

yes, i believe they can.

jacksh

Reaction score

Most would say the Grant is, overall, roomier than the Plaza. I don't disagree. My preference for the Plaza goes mostly to the issue of fit - as it is probably Alden's best fitting last for my foot. But there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the Grant.

Thank you, Seven. Going to call J.Gilbert if they have plaza boots size 10D, and if ships international.:fistbump:

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
I've had bad experiences with J. Gilbert. They don't seem to want my money. I also haven't been too persistant in following up, but they haven't responded to emails nor let me know about orders when they said they would.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has one one else rolled the dice with North River this weekend? I put my credit card info in last Friday and submitted the order and now it says my order is "awaiting payment." Did I do something wrong, or does someone there have to process it? I guess I'll try contacting them...
eh.gif

ATLVol

Reaction score
Picked up a pair kudu PTBs on commando soles on ebay last week....I believe from a fellow SF member....exactly what I was looking for in a casual shoe that I can wear without worrying about the elements.

Alpina

Reaction score
Has one one else rolled the dice with North River this weekend? I put my credit card info in last Friday and submitted the order and now it says my order is "awaiting payment." Did I do something wrong, or does someone there have to process it? I guess I'll try contacting them...
eh.gif
I just checked my CC, and the charge hasn't appeared yet, which may or may not mean anything. Did you order one of the "limited edition" pairs that they expect to deliver in March?

Please let us know what you learn if/when you contact them.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had bad experiences with J. Gilbert. They don't seem to want my money. I also haven't been too persistant in following up, but they haven't responded to emails nor let me know about orders when they said they would.

My experiences with JGilbert have been quite different. The service has always been prompt and courteous. And dealing with Yenni and Miller has been nothing but pleasant.

shaunw

Reaction score

I sent them an email once, nobody ever responded.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leffot's Natty CXL longwings. I like these for the spring and summer.

Broark

Reaction score
Great looking natural longwings. I want a pair but I already have some natural Indys! Think I need to go another route for my second pair of Aldens.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Arrival:

36630: Cigar Tassel

I'm very pleased with them at first impression. It is my fourth shell purchase so far this year, but I had to pull the trigger because they were available at SF in my size, and I didn't know how long they would last, or when they would be restocked if I missed the opportunity. I think I can go a while without buying anything now. Only things really left on my list are Ravello LHS, "Thor" Boot if it materializes, and perhaps Black Shell and Mocha Kid Suede Tassel, but I'm not sure I would really wear either of those last two enough to justify the purchase.

They are in pretty good shape, no significant defects that I have noticed yet. (Just a small knick on the toe, shown in the last picture) They aren't as shiny as my other pairs, but I know how to fix that when I'm ready.

Maiden Voyage pics coming soon!

violethour1951

Reaction score
New Arrival:

36630: Cigar Tassel

I'm very pleased with them at first impression. It is my fourth shell purchase so far this year, but I had to pull the trigger because they were available at SF in my size, and I didn't know how long they would last, or when they would be restocked if I missed the opportunity. I think I can go a while without buying anything now. Only things really left on my list are Ravello LHS, "Thor" Boot if it materializes, and perhaps Black Shell and Mocha Kid Suede Tassel, but I'm not sure I would really wear either of those last two enough to justify the purchase.

They are in pretty good shape, no significant defects that I have noticed yet. (Just a small knick on the toe, shown in the last picture) They aren't as shiny as my other pairs, but I know how to fix that when I'm ready.

Maiden Voyage pics coming soon!
Seeing these photos just gave me a whiff of new cordovan leather. Ah, synesthesia...
nod[1].gif

docalden2013

Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone. I'm learning a lot about these marvelous shoes. I've pulled the trigger on 5 pairs in the last 3 weeks and feel like there's something in the air with the recent loafer discussions. Prior to this weekend, I was already thinking about getting a loafer for casual spring/summer wear (e.g., with chinos, jeans and just loafer socks). I've begun making some calls to local retailers, but haven't gotten the most welcoming vibe from certain staff members. So at this point, I have more questions than answers:

My first question is: Which loafer model would be the most sensible addition to the collection (I have the LS Ultimate Indy in the 403 brown with commando sole, a cap toe boot in the Grant last in Shell color 8, the JCrew LWB in brown cxl, the JCrew snuff suede LWB, and the Color 8 shell 975s)? I know the collection pales in comparison to most guys on this thread, but I feel like I have a decent balance of dressy and casual shoes (as I also have a number of AE shoes in the closet). I don't mind shelling out (pun intended) for shell in, say, the LHS. But, if these are basically just going to be casual loafers worn at night in Cape Cod on vacation, then should I really go all out for the LHS?

The models I'm considering include: LHS in calf or shell (which I believe is on the Van last), the suede models with flex soles, the loafer in the plaza last or the beefroll with leather sole (the most economical model) in burgundy calf. Can anyone offer comparisons or contrast with regard to issues of versatility, durability, comfort?

Second question becomes about fit: I want to be careful to not have a heel slippage problem. I tried almost all the AE loafers and had trouble with heel slippage and/or toe room depending on the last. Nothing fit like the Florsheims and Bass Weejuns I rocked when I was a teen over 20 years ago.

Can people here confim the recent advise to stay true to size in the Van, but to go to a narrower width? I'm a 9D in the Grant (which fits perfect) and an 8.5D in the Barrie and Trubalance lasts (which are comfy, but would have some slippage were it not for the laces). I'm thinking of starting with a 9C Van if I go LHS. But what about stretching factor in calf vs shell LHS models? Anyone able to speak to the issue of stretching in the vamp after a few months of wear? I'd also love to hear about the Plaza last, the flex soles and the beefroll (which no one seems to talk about much here).

Last question is about pricing: the guy from Princeton says he could sell me a Shell color 8 LHS for $575 but wants to charge me a $25 restocking if it doesn't fit and needs to go back to Alden? Is this standard? It was my understanding working with the good folks at LS, Alden DC, Citishoes and ShoeMart that there was no such pitfall? I thought the $575 sounded like a good price, but I didn't like the guy's attitude...

ps - is it truly a seeking-unicorns situation to look for a loafer in ravello, whiskey or cigar shell? If not, could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any help or leads folks can offer. I appreciate it very much!!

today's shoe: the cap toe boots. like butter...

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone size down for chukkas on the barrie from their usual barrie size? I find there to be significantly more room in the vamp in a chukka versus, say, a PTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads