• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Brooks Bros version.
aldenmonks.jpg

jasonfoote303

Reaction score

I ordered a pair of Natural Chromexcel PTB and received the shoes pictured below. As soon as I took the top off the shoebox, I could see through the plastic shipping bags that the shoes were dark brown. Additionally, one shoe is a different color than the other and the leather is rough, dull, and cracked. They looked little like the stock image or other natural chromexcel leather that I've seen in person.
At Alden prices, I expect the product to be exceptional quality. In my opinion (please correct me if I'm wrong), Alden should not have made shoes out of this leather. It is an inconvenience to me and the retailer to deal with the exchange process. I am disappointed in them, and I hope the next pair I receive is better.

That's pretty much what natural Chromexcel is supposed to look like. This pair is a bit unbalanced in the darkness of the two shoes but they seem OK to me.

Keep in mind that the darkness comes from the oils and waxes and the leather itself is actually very light in color. Also, the cracks you see are not cracks in the leather but are in the wax which has hardened.

If you wore those shoes for a day you would be amazed at how much the appearance had changed.

Padron

Reaction score

How is the sizing on the Darlton? If I wear 8.5 D in the Alden Barrie, what size should I get in the Darlton?

I wear a 9.0D in the Barrie and 9.5D in the RL Marlows, PTB, Loafers and Lindricks. The RL in size 9.0 was not going to be comfortable for me in the long run....glad I sized up.

Last edited:

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's pretty much what natural Chromexcel is supposed to look like. This pair is a bit unbalanced in the darkness of the two shoes but they seem OK to me.
Keep in mind that the darkness comes from the oils and waxes and the leather itself is actually very light in color. Also, the cracks you see are not cracks in the leather but are in the wax which has hardened.
If you wore those shoes for a day you would be amazed at how much the appearance had changed.

All that aside, and also aside from the fact that this doesn't seem any fault of Alden's, I really don't like the look of the natural chromexcel. It just looks awkward to no end.

renn

Reaction score
So you don't get corrected in the future it is BARRIE last NOT BARRIER.
Thanks, I'm new to Alden

guys, I'm uk8.5 fitting 6(G) in Tricker's 4497s.
Need suggestion about Barrier last. Is 9 E ok for me?

BTW, does TSM ship irregulars for shell internationally?

To Alden Shells, is E fitting the widest in regular stock?
frown.gif
Which last is most generous?

Last edited:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think he's confusing it with the Barrier last - everybody hates the Barrier last.

Thanks, I'm new to Alden

To Alden Shells, is E fitting the widest in regular stock?:(  Which last is most generous?

IMO in order of most roomy:

1. Trubalance
2. Modified
3. Barrie

But it aso depends on the upper that is stretched over the last in question. For example a Chukka boot on the barrie could and will fit different than a Balmoral on the barrie

But everone's feet are different.

mcbrown

Reaction score

I ordered a pair of Natural Chromexcel PTB and received the shoes pictured below. As soon as I took the top off the shoebox, I could see through the plastic shipping bags that the shoes were dark brown. Additionally, one shoe is a different color than the other and the leather is rough, dull, and cracked. They looked little like the stock image or other natural chromexcel leather that I've seen in person.
At Alden prices, I expect the product to be exceptional quality. In my opinion (please correct me if I'm wrong), Alden should not have made shoes out of this leather. It is an inconvenience to me and the retailer to deal with the exchange process. I am disappointed in them, and I hope the next pair I receive is better.

I think this post nicely illustrates why leather is traditionally dyed during the tanning process. The uncolored hide just isn't very attractive to most people.

Personally, I don't think that looks bad, for natural chromexcel. The charm of this material lies entirely in the fact that the natural character of the hide is barely hidden. I am not a huge fan of it personally, but if I were to get a pair in natural chromexcel I would actually prefer it to look something like this. IMO, if you want something that is light in color with a uniform appearance then this is not the right material, as illustrated by these shoes.

mcbrown

Reaction score

It isn't the color difference that is most concerning, it is the rough texture that I imagine will age differently because it feels like it will not absorb oils and cremes in the same way that the smooth, soft leather will.

In my experience, chromexcel is prone to having a rough-looking, wrinkly texture. I don't have any shots of my Indy's handy, but they have this character in a number of spots - it just isn't as obvious because they are dyed brown, and your shoes are not dyed. The texture doesn't affect the leather's ability to absorb oils in any way. Whether you like it aesthetically is a matter of personal taste, but the leather will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads