1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Never tried it myself but it looks awesome

2. shaunw

shaunw Senior Member

They probably don't want to ship seconds out of the US because a large proportion get returned because they are in unacceptable shape or wrong size or other issue. I just shipped a pair of seconds back today, they were sold on their 2nds list as a boot on Barrie last but upon receipt they were on the plaza last, had I known they were plaza I would never have bought them because my sizing is different between plaza and Barrie. The flaw in the boot was tears in the leather/shell where the tongue connects to the upper, the tears on each side of the tongue were sewed together but even at the seconds discount it's not something I want to deal with. I hear some people have got good deals on the 2nds list but not me

3. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior Member

The powers that be at Alden sneer at your disappointment (in fact, they may be French - no one sneers like the French).

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

I can't speak to the cracking in the leather, but natural chromexcel color seems to vary from shoe to shoe and even within the same of shoe... I've seen other natural chromexcel as dark as that.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

5. CEE88

CEE88 Senior Member

I have this shoe and love it -- especially the contrasting light-colored welt -- but the natural chromexcel it is an uneven, varying color leather. Best to send it back it if it's not what you expected. But who knows, with time (and expsoure to light & heat) they might darken and look more uniform.

6. blues4life

blues4life Active Member

Anyone tried Saphir shoe cream on their shells? I ordered a few bottles when I bought Reno but haven't tried it out yet.

7. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior Member

It isn't the color difference that is most concerning, it is the rough texture that I imagine will age differently because it feels like it will not absorb oils and cremes in the same way that the smooth, soft leather will.

8. furo

furo Distinguished Member

^^

You can always just throw some Lexol conditioner on them. It will darken and even them out quite a bit.

I agree with the above that they will probably look just fine over time. If you don't like just send them back, but I dunno if this is really a QC issue on Alden's behalf

9. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Distinguished Member

I'm actually more irritated by your selection in socks. Kinda like how some folks wear light brown belts with their black/#8 shells, but hey, not my outfit... ;)

I think your question is really a personal taste question. I'm sure there's plenty of folks out there who don't mind a little difference between shoes. I know my oxblood docs have a little variation in that one is a little more "cherry red" on the toe than the other, but it's only really noticeable if you're like staring at them and studying them. I don't really mind because it's not too far off and as I polish, clean, and wear them, it just adds a little more character to my boots. Those pics don't look bad to me, but your phone (I'm guessing?) doesn't really bring out the real color. I'd certainly not bat an eye at those, but my tastes are not your tastes. My suggestion is that if you don't like them, send them back. You're the one that must ultimately be satisfied with your purchase.

10. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior Member

The socks are navy blue and I was wearing walnut AE McCallisters, the Aldens were not worn except to take the picture. Navy blue seems acceptable in this situation.

The consensus seems to be they the shoes are fine but are not aligned with my preferences. Fair enough, I sent them back.

11. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior Member

Does anyone have a picture of the monks?

12. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

I'm not sure, but I don't think he likes the Barrie last.

13. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

14. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior Member

I think he's confusing it with the Barrier last - everybody hates the Barrier last.

15. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

Aren't those just the George boots in calf with a commando sole?
    They look really Frankenstein monster-ish on the Orvis site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.