• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kippy

Reaction score

First lets define versatile. To me, versatile means sleek enough to be worn with a slim gray or navy suit and also casual enough to be worn with some jeans or chinos. Automatically I eliminate Barrie last and a 360 degree welt. Style wise, I think a captoe is very versatile and the grant last is both casual and dressy. I prefer boots so I my choice would be the black sheel or #8 captoe boot on the grant last. http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...s-4065_ald_m_cap_toe_boot_shell_cordovan.html
The most important consideration, imo is the last and welt. Stay away from Barrie and 360 degree and youll more than likely find what you are looking for.

The appropriateness of the last is dependent on your own body shape and how dressy one wants to be. The Barrie last is a classic American last and looks great with both suits and jeans. I have tried other lasts and they usually don't fit my wide feed and wide frame. I would gather that is true for a large chunk of this forum and is the reason Barrie seems to be a common denominator.

Namor, if you prefer another last, good for you please continue posting how you enjoy them. Let's leave the Barrie issue at different strokes for different folks. If you enjoy the "sleek" look I can think of at least 3 or 4 other shoe companies that cater to that type of look. Complaining about the Alden Barrie looking "clunky" is like complaining about Harley's having that charismatic and particular sound from it's motor. It's part of the package.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ point taken. I completely agree with your sentiments

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up: I talked to Joe at Shoemart and he stated that their cigar shell PTBs should be coming in soon, about a month or two. Alas the smallest size they will get in is a 8.5 so I'm out of luck. I will have to wait quite longer for my pair.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
[/quote]This is why I went this route. I have the Pitt boot in black shell that I'm selling - the Grant last is just better. Hopefully special boot makeups will start to stray away from the Barrie. [/quote]

from a retailer's (Unionmade) perspective, Barrie last sells way better than other lasts. However, this is primarily for a customer who wants boots to wear with jeans.

bin31z

Reaction score
Picked up two pairs of Aldens lately, Indy 403 and PTB both in size 8.5. The 403 felt like the right size at first but after loosening up, the toe area is tight and my toes get pushed into the front with every step. I have no worn my PTB in cordovan yet but worried about the same thing happening. I don't know why but in the Indy boots, they were nice and tight at first and my feet did not slide forward but after breaking in, my feet started to slip around a little more and it seems like the shoe got tighter. Should I try to get a shoemaker to stretch the indy boot? Should I worry about the PTB doing the same thing?

bin31z

Reaction score
Well, I'm sliding around so I feel like the shoe loosened up side to side but seems to have gotten shorter some, causing my toes to touch the front. I am really frustrated because I love these shoes.

i10casual

Reaction score
Those cap toe are very nice. I think that will be my last Alden boot I purchase.

BinZ try thicker socks and an insole. You might be eating too much sodium. You would be surprised how much feet swell right after a high sodium meal. I have to unlace my trainers sometimes during the middle of a jog because it swells. Maybe this is what is happening with your toes?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone aware of any cigar captoe boots available in size 10 D in either barrie or grant? probably give SF/NY/DC a call but thought I'd ask here first...

Alden DC had a pair about a week ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics