***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippy

kippy Senior member

The appropriateness of the last is dependent on your own body shape and how dressy one wants to be. The Barrie last is a classic American last and looks great with both suits and jeans. I have tried other lasts and they usually don't fit my wide feed and wide frame. I would gather that is true for a large chunk of this forum and is the reason Barrie seems to be a common denominator.

Namor, if you prefer another last, good for you please continue posting how you enjoy them. Let's leave the Barrie issue at different strokes for different folks. If you enjoy the "sleek" look I can think of at least 3 or 4 other shoe companies that cater to that type of look. Complaining about the Alden Barrie looking "clunky" is like complaining about Harley's having that charismatic and particular sound from it's motor. It's part of the package.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ point taken. I completely agree with your sentiments

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Just a heads up: I talked to Joe at Shoemart and he stated that their cigar shell PTBs should be coming in soon, about a month or two. Alas the smallest size they will get in is a 8.5 so I'm out of luck. I will have to wait quite longer for my pair.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Plaza Captoe From Leathersoul [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

^Or you can buy them from Alden (I think both DC and SF) now...

6. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Member

Seriously. I have the #8 captoes from J.Crew and had to get in a D width, but I'd much prefer to have them in a C width.

7. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

[/quote]This is why I went this route. I have the Pitt boot in black shell that I'm selling - the Grant last is just better. Hopefully special boot makeups will start to stray away from the Barrie. [/quote]

from a retailer's (Unionmade) perspective, Barrie last sells way better than other lasts. However, this is primarily for a customer who wants boots to wear with jeans.

8. bin31z

bin31z Active Member

Picked up two pairs of Aldens lately, Indy 403 and PTB both in size 8.5. The 403 felt like the right size at first but after loosening up, the toe area is tight and my toes get pushed into the front with every step. I have no worn my PTB in cordovan yet but worried about the same thing happening. I don't know why but in the Indy boots, they were nice and tight at first and my feet did not slide forward but after breaking in, my feet started to slip around a little more and it seems like the shoe got tighter. Should I try to get a shoemaker to stretch the indy boot? Should I worry about the PTB doing the same thing?

9. bin31z

bin31z Active Member

Here's are some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

if you're sliding around too much, try a thin insole. my indy boots got way too loose (despite being tight at first) and I stuck in insoles and it helped.

11. bin31z

bin31z Active Member

Well, I'm sliding around so I feel like the shoe loosened up side to side but seems to have gotten shorter some, causing my toes to touch the front. I am really frustrated because I love these shoes.

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Plaza Captoe From Leathersoul [​IMG] nephew, you are enjoying wearing your good looking boot

13. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Those cap toe are very nice. I think that will be my last Alden boot I purchase.

BinZ try thicker socks and an insole. You might be eating too much sodium. You would be surprised how much feet swell right after a high sodium meal. I have to unlace my trainers sometimes during the middle of a jog because it swells. Maybe this is what is happening with your toes?

14. uninkco

uninkco Senior member

anyone aware of any cigar captoe boots available in size 10 D in either barrie or grant? probably give SF/NY/DC a call but thought I'd ask here first...

15. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Alden DC had a pair about a week ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.