• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I can't sand the top part of the welt, but this is good enough for me. I just took sandpaper I had lying around (medium-fine, I guess), lightly sanded my way around the shoe, and then applied some natural sole edge dressing.

I figured it's the sole of the shoe anyways, and I don't mind beating these boots up.

EDIT - just checked the label, it's 120 grain sandpaper. Also, slide13, I'll probably do this to my black Tankers as well, so I'll shoot some photos when I get around to it.

triumphman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
Yep, I can't sand the top part of the welt, but this is good enough for me. I just took sandpaper I had lying around (medium-fine, I guess), lightly sanded my way around the shoe, and then applied some natural sole edge dressing.

I figured it's the sole of the shoe anyways, and I don't mind beating these boots up.

EDIT - just checked the label, it's 120 grain sandpaper. Also, slide13, I'll probably do this to my black Tankers as well, so I'll shoot some photos when I get around to it.

I've heard that applying alcohol will remove the polish....

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know if shoemart matches prices? also anyone know if shoemart EVER answers emails??? lastly, any way to get placed on email list for seconds or just calling from now on?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
anyone know if shoemart matches prices? also anyone know if shoemart EVER answers emails??? lastly, any way to get placed on email list for seconds or just calling from now on?

Much better off calling, their email response is dreadful.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

120 grit is VERY coarse sandpaper. If you knocked it down further with 240 and then 400, add a little edge dressing to give it some moisture it will bring back the deep color Leffot has....i would think.

my $0.02

racknac

Reaction score
whats the deal with Alden price increase happening at Shoemart on the 26th? ANyone know how much its going up? I may have to pick up a pair of Whiskey PTBs.

Anyone know how the Barrie last compares to Truebalance? I wear a 10D on Jcrew Indys and I think they are Truebalance.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, blue collar -- I'll give that a shot next time. Overall, I'm happy with the way they look, and I figure they'll only get more beat as I wear them.

E.g. Here's a pair of Ultimate Indies I've had for a couple years now:
5474895939_3255b01023.jpg

trunks206

Reaction score
^^ its only 5% As part of the All picture day...(sorry phone pic)
IMAG0278.jpg
LS LWB

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
Actually, i've been fitted at the Alden store in San Francisco, and went by their call in the barrie last, i have also tried the plaza last. Unfortunately my main experience is with barrie, and the only way to have found out the shoe is not for me is to wear it all day. With that said, i dont think it makes sense to keep trying Alden shoes at about 500 bucks a pop until i find my fit. Now dont think this is any disrespect to Alden or all you guys that like Alden. I like Alden too and think they make a great shoe but fit wise its hard to pin point which Last is the best.

Don't feel bad. My shittiest fitting pair of Aldens was purchased at this store with their guidance. They're at least a half size too long and one width too wide.

REguy

Reaction score
This thread is becoming like the A.P.C. jeans thread with all the sizing issues. For all the Alden noobs I did a little cut and paste and put together this handy-dandy chart based on my experience with upwards of 40 pairs of Aldens over the years. Just one man's experience, YMMV.

Now let's see more pictures of shoes.

AldenChart.jpg

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trunks206
^^ its only 5%

As part of the All picture day...(sorry phone pic)

IMAG0278.jpg

LS LWB

Great cigars to cap off the day. Thanks to eveyone who participated.

The Cigar LWB is the big winner today.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
This thread is becoming like the A.P.C. jeans thread with all the sizing issues. For all the Alden noobs I did a little cut and paste and put together this handy-dandy chart based on my experience with upwards of 40 pairs of Aldens over the years. Just one man's experience, YMMV.

Now let's see more pictures of shoes.

AldenChart.jpg

dude this is awesome ... great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads