• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
What's the turnaround on sending a pair of shoes to Alden for repair? Some of the stitching is coming lose on my longwings (bought a month ago).

Despite the issue, I love the shoes (the glow is great). This is my first pair, I probably will add the cigar indys from Epaulet, a pair of the leisure handsewn moccasins and the J Crew tobacco longwing.

I wouldn't send it to Alden, it'd take forever. Weeks if not months for sure.

Take it to a local cobbler they'd probably do an even better job - Alden's real busy these days!

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I would appreciate that. I have the 405's already, but thinking about buying a pair of 403's.

Frankly I'd just compare the colors on ShoeMart, their pictures are very accurate in my opinion.

403's would be very similar to the J.Crew Indy (which has a stained welt, heel stitching, J.Crew on heel pad, etc). Material would also be same as the Ultimate Indy's that Leather Soul sells.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
My first shell cordovan shoe:

nst2.jpg

nst1.jpg

I really love how the NST looks better with age. I think of all the Alden styles, the NST is best with age, with longwings coming in second.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Great visit today with Ken Sherman at Sherman Brothers... they are putting together some nice make ups for the fall, with the highlight (for me) being that they are doing boots with the small lugged Goodyear sole that you see on shoes like the 1272s / 7118s.

(please don't ask me to try to remember the leather combinations, we went over a lot of shoes)

BTW, Ken is great to deal with, and very knowledgable about all things Alden. (He's out of the Haverford location.)

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
Frankly I'd just compare the colors on ShoeMart, their pictures are very accurate in my opinion.

403's would be very similar to the J.Crew Indy (which has a stained welt, heel stitching, J.Crew on heel pad, etc). Material would also be same as the Ultimate Indy's that Leather Soul sells.

WJ4 - If you like the 405, there is no way you will be disappointed with the 403 - the color is very different, so they will show as a different boot, and the leather is incredible. I think you will continue to see more and more make ups using the brown chrome excel in the future.

Thor

Reaction score
...I must say I am somewhat humbled and/or astounded by some of your collections...pretty impressive.

Mine...not so much...to date:

Black PTB (20yrs old)
#8 Indy
#8 WT Boot
Ravello WT Boot
CXL WT Boot- plaza last

on order:

Black PT Cordo boot- barrie last (arriving tommorow)
Cigar Perf-Captoe boot- barrie last (arriving late 2011 or even 2012)

I would like to think when the cigar boot comes that will be it...but I know its not as easy as that...

With that in mind...I have a boot in mind that I do not know if it exists...Does anyone know of a brown ChromeXcel boot (other than an Indy) with a commando (or even lug) sole? Would have jumped on LS newest boot if it had a commando.

I need a dog walking boot that I really do not care if it gets super wet, muddy and completely trashed...I just do not have the heart to take my cordo's thru seriously wet, muddy stuff...

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor
...I must say I am somewhat humbled and/or astounded by some of your collections...pretty impressive.

Mine...not so much...to date:

Black PTB (20yrs old)
#8 Indy
#8 WT Boot
Ravello WT Boot
CXL WT Boot- plaza last

on order:

Black PT Cordo boot- barrie last (arriving tommorow)
Cigar Perf-Captoe boot- barrie last (arriving late 2011 or even 2012)

I would like to thing when the cigar boot comes that will be it...but I know its not as easy as that...

With that in mind...I have a boot in mind that I do not know if it exists...Does anyone know of a brown ChromeXcel boot (other than an Indy) with a commando (or even lug) sole? Would have jumped on LS newest boot if it had a commando.

I need a dog walking boot that I really do care if it gets super wet, muddy and completely trashed...I just do not have the heart to take my cordo's thru seriously wet, muddy stuff...

IMHO, the best dog walking Alden boot would be a 1272S Chukka - Kudu leather, mini lug sole - easy on, no maintenance, will last forever. If you hadn't said no Indys, I would have said the 404 fits most of your description, using Kudu instead of chromexcel. (and because the stitching is dark, it does not really resemble the 403 and 405.)

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by framus
Thor, If you have 20 year old cordovan boots, you need to show pictures!

alas no....PTB= plain toe blucher...

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
IMHO, the best dog walking Alden boot would be a 1272S Chukka - Kudu leather, mini lug sole - easy on, no maintenance, will last forever. If you hadn't said no Indys, I would have said the 404 fits most of your description, using Kudu instead of chromexcel. (and because the stitching is dark, it does not really resemble the 403 and 405.)

I thought about that but I really need a high boot- i really like the support abd stability of a high boot and even more so when I am out with the dog...I am not just leash walking around the block but out traipsing wherever we can get some quality off leash time...which usually means going where others fear to tread..so to speak
smile.gif

I may consider an Indy but thought I would see if there were any other styles in CXL first...no offense to Mr. Jones, of course.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
I thought about that but I really need a high boot- i really like the support abd stability of a high boot and even more so when I am out with the dog...I am not just leash walking around the block but out traipsing wherever we can get some quality off leash time...which usually means going where others fear to tread..so to speak
smile.gif

I may consider an Indy but thought I would see if there were any other styles in CXL first...no offense to Mr. Jones, of course.

I completely understand - if you find a boot like you describe, let me know, I want in.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol u mean DR. JONES
teacha.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dogwalking boot? Serious? Get some KangaRoos sneakers so you can store an extra poop bag easily. And make sure to pick up even the soft wet poop. Thanks

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need a dog walking boot that I really do care if it gets super wet, muddy and completely trashed...I just do not have the heart to take my cordo's thru seriously wet, muddy stuff...

Here are some options, but none seem to match quite with what you want:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...h_Boot_213.htm

http://mouldedshoe.com/ESW/Images/DSC04575.JPG

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men...plain_toe.html

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads