• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I was replying to a post pages back. And I am lazy.

Yea, but the point of the spoiler is that people can see the content if they want to. If they want to see the referenced pics they can. We can't help you with the last part, haha! :)

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Thanks.  Seems like a rather large jump for a price hike, so wasn't sure if there was something else behind it.

The NST are about $30 more than the wingtip boots in the same material. It could be the hand stitching.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The NST are about $30 more than the wingtip boots in the same material. It could be the hand stitching.

Makes sense, plus commando soles usually cost a bit extra.
Agree. Commando tends to be extra and NST tends to be extra (though not always). The Leffot ones are definitely pricey but IMO worth a little extra. The color is a very deep and rich brown.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took some photos this weekend of my shell collection, some Aldens so thought I would post here:

My current shell cordovan collection -
Back row - Navy, Loden, Dark Brown, Dark Brown, Color 4, Old Ravello, Dark Cognac
Front row - Black, Dark Brown, Dark Brown, Brown, Cigar (2011/12ish), Color 2

Last edited:

Barabus

Reaction score
Only have 3 pairs of Alden's- 2 of which a PTB in shell. Visited SF store and got a very nice fitting for all the styles and lasts. I am a 13D in the Barrie and a 13E in the more narrow ones. I am smitten by the ravello ones. If anyone runs across a gunship in ravello then I would be greatly appreciative of a quick note. Cheers to my fellow shoe lovers.

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Took some photos this weekend of my shell collection, some Aldens so thought I would post here:

My current shell cordovan collection -
Back row - Navy, Loden, Dark Brown, Dark Brown, Color 4, Old Ravello, Dark Cognac
Front row - Black, Dark Brown, Dark Brown, Brown, Cigar (2011/12ish), Color 2

That old Ravello. Man I hope the NST is in a similar shade.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only have 3 pairs of Alden's- 2 of which a PTB in shell. Visited SF store and got a very nice fitting for all the styles and lasts. I am a 13D in the Barrie and a 13E in the more narrow ones. I am smitten by the ravello ones. If anyone runs across a gunship in ravello then I would be greatly appreciative of a quick note. Cheers to my fellow shoe lovers.

Alden DC might be your best bet, if not in stock then on the next order

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome to size 13 hell...many of the specials done by stores never order 13 so you would want to contact them often and hope they can add it for you. On the barried a 12d barely works for me so I can luck out once in a while. Good luck and happy hunting.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to some images (or post your own) of well-worn black shell? I know how Color 8 and the others build depth and patina as they age, but I don't have a sense of what black looks like as it gets some good mileage on it.

I currently don't own any black shoes at all (is that weird?) and am considering a pair of black shell PTBs or chukkas to add to my rotation.

These don't have a ton of wear but you can see how they are developing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads