1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hey guys,

Fok here. This thread is getting super long and cumbersome, and the load is... large. So I'm going to close it in 2 weeks, and then break off Alden talk to new threads re. specific topics re. Alden. Some categories I've thought of are "Personal Alden collections", "Sizing questions about Aldens" and "Buying Alden: talk about vendors, availability,etc..." However, I don't want to do this in a hamfisted way, so I'm asking this community to please help me figure out good Alden categories, and I'm also asking for volunteers to write OPs for each section which will help all those new users who share your love of Aldens, but are maybe not as knowledgeable about the product or this community. Please help me help you guys. You can also PM me, but I feel that a positive, public discussion will get the best results. Please use the @LA Guy call out functionality when you answer this call to make sure I read your post, since things move fast.

Cheers,

Fok.

2. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

I can (reluctantly) understand needing to close such a large thread, but I can't get behind the idea of splitting out the Alden thread into things like, "Alden collections," "Alden sizing advice," etc. Why wouldn't we just recreate this thread (and this time put it in the Classic Menswear forum)? Threads like the Alden Customization Thread didn't really take off and for good reason - all of the discussion is in this main thread.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  3. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

@LA Guy
    How about breaking the Alden thread into annual editions; i.e. the thread closes every new year's eve, and opens with a new name (such as The Alden Thread 2016) Jan 1st

2 people like this.
  4. LA Guy

I'd be amenable to this as well. This thing is just getting super heavy. It's nearly impossible to block up retroactively, but I'd like to have a plan going forward. Annual threads work for me, though they are not a topically intuitive, as long as they work for the community.

5. tricky

tricky Senior member

I like this approach. There are too many subtopics with Alden to capture it all, and this way it keeps the community together.

2 people like this.
  6. LA Guy

I'm open to it. I'll allow conversation to go on until... I am awake on the 1st, I suppose. If there are no serious objections to this by this time, this sounds like a plan. This thread, of course, would remain open, just with read-only permissions.

Cheers,

Fok.

7. sirsigsalot

sirsigsalot Senior member

I like the annual approach. If you have subtopics, half the posts will be "you posted this in the wrong thread"

8. Don L

Don L Senior member

Another vote for the Annual thread approach. Breaking up into separate topic threads is cumbersome to navigate and keep up with
    It's partly about the community this thread has developed

9. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Agreed.

Fragmentation of the thread will hurt the community as well as cause difficulty with new members who won't know where to post or be reluctant to find a thread if it falls off the front page.

Annual thread seems like a good resolution given the difficulties of managing a thread of this size.

10. LA Guy

The other thing that we could do is to group a variety of Alden threads into a tagged page, and link it from the OP of all Alden threads so that you'd also see the Aldens for sale by various members as well as the discussions, all on one page. It would (sorta) solve the problem of B&S threads not getting enough visibility.

The individual threads would also, of course, appear on the main SWD page.

Just tossing the idea out there.

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Fok, I like the annual page and can write a welcome message and propose I put the FAQ on there as the OP.

-Mike

4 people like this.
  12. LA Guy

I think that the FAQ is really important. I send a welcome message to new members, and a lot of time, the questions that I get are things like "Where should I buy X model of Aldens, what is my size in Y model?" Having the FAQ in addition to the community activity would allow new member to integrate much more smoothly into the community, probably.

13. mdubs

Fok, I already have an FAQ written on my blog, www.aldenofsandiego.com that I can put on the first post. It was originally here, but I moved it off for the exact reason you mentioned. It being to hard to find.

-Mike

14. LA Guy

We may have ourselves a winner!

1 person likes this.
  15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Another vote for an annual thread - fragmentation really makes it hard to keep track of the community and for the valuable members to catch places where they can add value.

1 person likes this.
  16. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Another vote for the annual approach.

17. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I like the annual thread idea as well.

18. mdubs

LoL. Okay. I will write the intro and get it started on 1/1/2016. :)

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Ugh got the Ironsides and no contrast stitching.... Sad
    [​IMG]

20. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Still look very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.