***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

After almost 9 months, I finally got my ravello longwings from the Washington Alden shop. Now that I have them, I think I'd prefer shortwings.

I'm looking for a nice spring wingtip, maybe a whiskey longwing...what is it that you do not like about the longwings? From the Washington DC Alden shop?

2. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

3. lambchop

lambchop Well-Known Member

I was speaking with a shoe care professional at a shine/ repair shop and they were recommending always shining new shoes before wearing, including shell cordovan in order to create a protective base shine.

From all the info in this thread I was under the impression that the only care needed for shell cordovan was a damp cloth wipe down followed by a good brushing with the horsehair brush. Then, a small amount of paste wax after a few months.

Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I should shine some new Alden shell boots before wearing.

Thanks guys.

4. Cuttingboard

If you're looking for whiskey longwings, Epaulet is carrying some sweet ones:

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...Whiskey/Detail

Thanks for the link...I have to go by Alden DC to be measured before I can buy over unseen. Need to do this in a couple of weeks.

5. Cuttingboard

The flash made the colors look more brighter than in real life. Cigar longwings and WinnPerry cap toe boots.
    [​IMG]

The instruction for caring that came with the Cigars.
    [​IMG]

I need a pair of the cigar longwings for next fall...definitely on my list!!!

6. countcount

countcount Senior member

I was speaking with a shoe care professional at a shine/ repair shop and they were recommending always shining new shoes before wearing, including shell cordovan in order to create a protective base shine.

From all the info in this thread I was under the impression that the only care needed for shell cordovan was a damp cloth wipe down followed by a good brushing with the horsehair brush. Then, a small amount of paste wax after a few months.

Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I should shine some new Alden shell boots before wearing.

Thanks guys.

[​IMG]

7. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Thanks guys.

Let me guess what happened next: he offered to graciously sell you some shoe polish and supplies? Did he also recommend that all new shoes be resoled before wearing?

8. borderline

borderline Senior member

Thanks guys.

I would go with this:
    http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.co...he-mac-method/

9. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

I wear my socks over my shoes. Helps, I think.

10. lambchop

lambchop Well-Known Member

Let me guess what happened next: he offered to graciously sell you some shoe polish and supplies? Did he also recommend that all new shoes be resoled before wearing?

Haha, no they actually didn't even charge me on the small repair job I was having done.

The idea of shining new shoes since you don't know how long they were stored makes sense to give them a protective base coat. I just didn't think cordovan really needed to be fussed with for a while.

11. Thor

Thor Senior member

In my opinion, just cleaning, brushing and polishing with soft cloth IS shining your shoes.

Paste is not needed to "shine" your shoes...

Depends on the shoe as to whether I shine every time or not...

Cordo Indys no...Wing tips yes....

If you want to put your best foot forward...best to spend a few moments to brush and polish your investment in fine shoes... [​IMG]

Looks like Mac never leaves the house with out a fine shine...

12. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

10% off at ShoeMart on Aldens at their store. Who knows, maybe they'll do 10 off over the phone, too?

Saw that today in person...out of my size though [​IMG] Heard it was for two weeks

13. phantomx48

phantomx48 Senior member

Leathersoul Plaza Indy Boot in color #8 shell. Love it when the sun hits the #8 leather and allows the burgundy to peek out from behind the black. This is only after five wearings. . .can't wait to see it after a year or two.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Leathersoul Plaza Indy Boot in color #8 shell. Love it when the sun hits the #8 leather and allows the burgundy to peek out from behind the black. This is only after five wearings. . .can't wait to see it after a year or two. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Beautiful! I have the Cigar Indy on the Barrie but wish I had this boot instead. I really like the way the Plaza last fits my foot

15. tlieu

tlieu Well-Known Member

Just got a new pair of Indys a week ago... is the sole separating from the welt normal? Theres seperation thats big enough to fit a business card through on both the left and right shoe.

[​IMG]

Man, looks like Alden's quality control is going downhill on the Indy's. Seeing too many complaints about soles separating. Probably cause it's the most mass produced item from Alden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.