• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UROCORDOVAN

Reaction score
Is the Brooks Brother's website inventory accurate for the shell shoes? Or, has anyone had luck by calling in terms of finding sizes not listed?
My local BB (Beverly Hills) told me they do not carry any of the cordovan line any more.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Brooks Brother's website inventory accurate for the shell shoes? Or, has anyone had luck by calling in terms of finding sizes not listed?
My local BB (Beverly Hills) told me they do not carry any of the cordovan line any more.
Never underestimate the ignorance of sales associates. They may earnestly try to be helpful, but frequently, they don't know jack.

aldenwear

Reaction score

If you're looking for a blucher with some versatility with professional and business casual settings, the LWB is a far better choice than the chukka. An even better choice would be a cap toe blucher on the Aberdeen last which is much sleeker and professional looking. I think this medallion cap toe blucher suits (pun intended I guess...) professional settings even better than the LWB, and can serve nicely in business casual environments as well. Grey wool suit Casual cotton suit ... with denim
I would not wear the medallion captoe blucher with jeans, but I absolutely agree with Repo that the medallion captoe is a great, great looking shoe and is a fine choice for suits and business casual and, becaise of its sleekness amd elegance, is a much better choice for use with suits and just as good, if not better, a choice for business casual, than the lwb. This all assumes a traditional wardrobe.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice medallion cap toe. I would rather have that for dressier occasions and a LWB like the Cigar with antique edge for more casual attire.

Though, the Aberdeen I bet won't fit my wide feet with high instep. I can order an E width from TSM it seems...hmm.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And I would add to this list the proper use of heel and edge dressing. I have seen otherwise well kept shoes lack this vital component. It is unfortunate.

+1, ae black and chili work wonders for dark and antique edging, respectively

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's my Aberdeen issue.  Once I go up to the E, it loses the sleekness, which is the whole point of the last.

I have E widths in the NST blucher (Aberdeen) and the Brooks Brothers wingtip bal (Plaza-esque). Both look pretty sleek (I wear wide widths in all shoes).

The shoe/boot that I have that actually looked strange in an E width were the J Gilbert Plaza boots, which I sold.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a monk in aberdeen e width and it looked awkward, with a pointy toe and then an excessive, rapid widening towards the ball. Ymmv

totalair1

Reaction score

I recommend you talk to a sales associate in store or on line, but not the same one who was no help. I got a pair of shell from a store in Dallas that does not carry shell, and the on line inventory showed out of stock, however a store out os state had them. I got these shell shoes at the Corporate discount sale price too!

See Ya,
Steve

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to find out what bb stocks in-store, call bb madison ave. They can run a national stock check if they don't stock themselves

gosheik

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses, guys. For what it's worth, I have worn my color 8 chukkas with a slim cut suit on several occasions, and I think it looks great, albeit definitely not a traditional look, which is absolutely fine with me as I have no need/desire to confirm to "banker/legal" norms. Then again, I'm someone who would never wear cordovan with denim, save for maybe in an Indy (but hardly even then).

I agree that the cigar/antique combo is a more casual look. Given that, I was wondering how others perceive that combo in the chukka vs. LWB. Clearly most see the chukka as at least one notch more casual than the LWB, regardless of color. I totally agree that wardrobe style plays a big role here, and I would even add other personal attributes to that equation. For example, a chukka or other barrie-lasted cordovan shoe/boot doesn't look nearly as casual/chunky (IMO) on someone with an athletic build as it might on a slim or unfit body type (i.e., a broader base matching broader shoulders). Am I alone in this observation?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a monk in aberdeen e width and it looked awkward, with a pointy toe and then an excessive, rapid widening towards the ball. Ymmv

+1

The aberdeen monk, which I have also owned and sold (D width), has various design problems, IMO. Monks are not Alden's strong suit. Others may disagree .....

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cigar chukka vs. LWB owners, any thoughts on which offers greater versatility in professional environments? Thanks!

I own both. As to versatility in professional environments:

Chukka - none, or close to it
LWB - limited

But both are great models. :nodding:

Profligate47

Reaction score

Here is yet another should I keep these question.

I just got the last 11.5D Alden for Epaulet Salzburger Alpine Grain Shortwing.

I love the grain and the color, but there are two issues that are preventing me from loving these as much as I hoped I would.

First, the alignment of the flaps on the right shoe is off, creating an angle on the lacing and in general looking sloppy. It was the first think I noticed when I tried them on this morning and I think I want to stick to my mantra which is if I don't immediately love it, then abort. Opinions?

Second, the squeak!!! I've never had creaking, squeaky shoes before, but now I can join the masses who have complained. Every movement of my foot creates a creaky noise. I think it can be mitigated with time and lube, but I want to get some experienced opinions on this. Is it due to the grain? I've never bought grain shoes before...

Mine match and do not squeak. Very strange... Try re-lacing if you really like them. Squeak may disappear...

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA - Unionmade just confirmed receipt of my 8.5D, #8 Dovers w/antique welt and commando soles. The SA indicated that they had a size 9 if I was interested in an exchange. Neither size is listed on their website so if interested, you may want to call the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics