• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not ridiculous.

I assume you are referring to an existing model, as Alden no longer makes any Barrie lasted models narrower than a B width (Alden's AA/B).

If, however, you are referring to a 13 AA/B (a B width), then yes, I think it will work.

Actually it's a bit stranger than that I think. AAAA/AA width... I assume this is super narrow?

That is an AA width, a full 4 widths narrower than your D width. Although you mentioned going up 1/2 size to accommodate this, in the end 4 widths will be too much to overcome, IMO.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW, Alden does not always use the overcoat glazing.

Some light color shell from a few years ago did not have the overcoat.

Leffot had a Cigar/suede saddle a couple of years ago The Cigar shell parts did not have the overcoat glazing.

I was fortunate enough to get in on this offering when Leffot last offered it. The look of the cigar and its texture are decidedly different than a "normal" (glazed) cigar model. For this model I actually like that it is not glazed, but on the whole I easily prefer glazed.

kwanon

Reaction score
Alden apply a layer of overcoat glazing on most of their shell Cordovan shoes, to give that unique out-of-the-box shine.
Normally Alden Cordovan is easy to maintain. Wiping down with a damp cloth and minimal brushing is all it takes. However, deep scuff is a different story. If the overcoat is damaged, that's it.

Not exactly the same, but sort of like patent leather. The good thing is that Alden can always refinish the shoes with a new overcoat.

Bare Cordovan does not have as glossy a finish. However, deep scuffs and even scrapes will even out with moderate brushing. That is very similar to flesh-out leather.

AF80 that you are interested in and freshly "de-glazed" #8 Tanker.

The same de-glazed Tanker, with one application of Renovateur and 1 minute of brushing.

Wow that is really helpful. Why and how did you deglaze the tanker?
I would greatly prefer the finish of the tanker.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own this shoe? If so, could you post some in-the-wild pictures?
https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~18580/18580.jsp

It says the color is dark brown, but they look burgundy in the pictures.
I believe I've had these for almost four years. I typically use them when there is some rain in the forecast (I'm such a wuss with my shells when rain is coming). When the time comes, I will resole them with dainite soles. These pics are not great but the shoe is. Found them BNIB on ebay for $275. They were my second Alden purchase.

They are next to my Alden for J Crew Tobacco waxed LWB... Cigar and ravello are below for a color comparison.

I highly recommend them if you are looking for a comfortable pair of non-shell shoes, esp. if you can find them on sale for around $300

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a workhorse, all-weather, all-purpose shoe. I was considering these AF80 #8 shortwings from AOC. They would be my first pair of Aldens and my first pair of cordovans. One of the reasons I was thinking of going with cordovan is that I've heard it's really durable; you can just brush out scuffs without having to resort to cream to fill gouges and polish to restore shine. Then I start seeing the above about Alden's special glaze. What does Alden do differently than other companies in their tier making shell shoes (e.g. Carmina)? I'm less concerned with getting a high gloss. I mainly want something durable that can be restored with simple brushing. I've considered CXL for this particular need, but would generally prefer shell for various reasons.

I have this shoe and it was awesome. However, it does have a very high gloss (deep shine/glaze) making it look very dressy. If you're looking for a workhorse shoe I would go with a Chrmxl version of the LWB. Unionmade has two awesome make-ups, one in natural and the other in brown chrmxl.

Unionmade...

Good luck!

fitchottie

Reaction score
Are 11.5d and 11e interchangeable as fas as width goes. I know the toe box should be an 1/8th shorter.

Alpina

Reaction score
Alden apply a layer of overcoat glazing on most of their shell Cordovan shoes, to give that unique out-of-the-box shine.
Normally Alden Cordovan is easy to maintain. Wiping down with a damp cloth and minimal brushing is all it takes. However, deep scuff is a different story. If the overcoat is damaged, that's it.

Not exactly the same, but sort of like patent leather. The good thing is that Alden can always refinish the shoes with a new overcoat.

Bare Cordovan does not have as glossy a finish. However, deep scuffs and even scrapes will even out with moderate brushing. That is very similar to flesh-out leather.

AF80 that you are interested in and freshly "de-glazed" #8 Tanker.

The same de-glazed Tanker, with one application of Renovateur and 1 minute of brushing.

I'm glad you posted this again. With this topic about Alden's glazing, I keep thinking cordovan is akin to brass, which often comes with a lacquer finish. Sure--the lacquer makes it look bright and shiny with no maintenance in its feeble attempt to look like freshly polished bare brass, but the real thing is so much richer (the unvarnished truth). Look around at the hardware on apartment buildings in NYC--doormen are constantly busting out the brasso to keep that amazing look. I want my shells to look like their equivalent.

So, please keep us posted on how those tankers develop. I just pre-ordered the Leffot #8 dovers, and am seriously considering stripping the glazing and going from there. As an everyday shoe, they should have the character of everyday life.

Last edited:

Hill

Reaction score
I believe I've had these for almost four years. I typically use them when there is some rain in the forecast (I'm such a wuss with my shells when rain is coming). When the time comes, I will resole them with dainite soles. These pics are not great but the shoe is. Found them BNIB on ebay for $275. They were my second Alden purchase.
Quote:
Thanks ReppTiePrepster, very helpful and much appreciated.

Last edited:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is an AA width, a full 4 widths narrower than your D width. Although you mentioned going up 1/2 size to accommodate this, in the end 4 widths will be too much to overcome, IMO.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno, I like my glazing
me too. It is the main reason of what I like about Alden shell compared to other shell.If I were going to strip down that tanker I would simply buy something like a #8 shell boot from Rancourt which has a more similar finish to start with.

anrobit

Reaction score
me too. It is the main reason of what I like about Alden shell compared to other shell.If I were going to strip down that tanker I would simply buy something like a #8 shell boot from Rancourt which has a more similar finish to start with.
I personally wouldn't buy it from Rancourt. Poly insoles on their boots are a dealbreaker for me.

Their handsewns are wonderful though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads