1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

good man! That is the spirit we like to see

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

[​IMG]

Anyone on the fence with the modified ravello plain toes pull the trigger!

24 now, first pair of 404s from Barneys sale at 21, then 403s a few months later and then this pair from B&S

1 person likes this.
  3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Just got a call that a batch of blue suede tassel loafers has arrived at my local retailer and my size was delivered. I'll be making a slight detour on the way home from the office this evening!

:slayer:

1 person likes this.
  4. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

buddy! Banana last! :happy:

5. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

The only way I would consider buying any version of Alden's plain toe boot is if it were in color #4.

The design strikes me as inelegant, and it appears to crease far too much for my taste. Moreover, paying so much for Aldens (due to VAT/import duties, handling etc.) as a U.S. resident is simply foolish in my opinion. Stick with the captoe, not only is it classic and more widely available, you'll save some cash.

6. thams

thams Senior member

To each their own. I think plain toe boots display patina better than other models and are unique in the ways they "develop." The wrinkling isn't for everyone I suppose, but that's the way of shell. I would consider a plain toe boot just as "classic" as cap toes really.

7. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

What kind of car do you drive? I'm pretty sure I can recommend something cheaper, better, better-looking, more Eco friendly, and safer. I mean, what were you even thinking? Your insurance premium must be huge and that thing just screams early midlife crisis. Dear lord.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  8. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Stan I think these are a great score. Congrats my friend enjoy them looking forward to pics.

[​IMG]

Cords today with my rather mild addiction to these reverse chamois this week.

Additionally did anyone get pics of the ravello Indy from Fransboone? What last was it on?

1 person likes this.
  9. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Thanks Rob! Will do.

Reverse chamois NST look amazing.

I spoke to Frans and Ravello Indy is on Plaza last.

10. inn8chiro

inn8chiro Senior member

I know this has already been discussed, but I am number 2 on my size in the alden dc cigar pt boot order. When were they supposed to go out?
    thanks guys

11. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Uncle, thank you

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Plain toe boots are some of the best shell boots Alden makes.

13. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

I understand many people like Alden's plain toe boots. Great. Buy them. Enjoy.

But, I do not really care for them. And part of my original comment was paying a hefty premium for them due to re-importantion/ shipping is silly; this is also my opinion.

I am willing to wager Ravello plain toe boots will become available through a U.S.-based retailer eventually. But I understand someone's eagerness to acquire a less common style.

14. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

I think foot size comes into play too. I like plain toe boots/shoes, and in some cases they look really good. In my case my foot is so big it helps to break things up. I own PTB shoes, NST, and Captoes. I like them all but think on my foot the NST or Captoe looks better for "my" foot. Either way those are nice boots! To be honest I can't say there's a right or wrong on this...beauty in is in the beholder!

See Ya,
    Steve

16. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Modified last rare shell makeup not being made in N America. You can read "Modified last petition" thread in CM.

Moulded Shoe might cook something up in the future but you never know!

I'm going to let go my Leffot Tankers worn once indoors, oh well.

17. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Great looking Cigar Cap Toes!
    These have a really nice color and the laces are a nice touch.
    Yeah, these are amazing as always!!! I really like this particular color and pattern.
    I have to say, that I am with Smoothie. I dig the PTB and Chukkas, but the Plain Toe Boot is outside of my taste preference. Even in this killer Ravello color. But that is good, as there is one less person to compete with for them! Who knows, my tastes grow and change over time. -Mike

18. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

$1200 for a PT Boot, nope not for me. If funds did not matter my answer may be different.

19. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Great boot but good call. Can always replace at a later date. Where as there may not be another opportunity for that Ravello boot.

20. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Thanks D! It's a tough call but it needs to be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.