1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skatenc123

Skatenc123 Senior member

yea i also thought it was alden at first look. Im curious if Alden is going to do anything about it. With Jcrew having the long wing and the boot, and also carrying alden.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I like J Crew, but they copy a number of brands - Alden, RRL, Barbour, etc.

3. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Senior member

Don't forget the Ludlow PTB's too. They're pretty similar to the Alden 990's.

Ben

4. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

Does Alden hold a patent for this style of boot? Not sure if that's the correct legal term. Also, Frye makes the Walter boot which is also an Indy knockoff. This leads me to believe that anyone can produce this style of boot. I don't think it really matters because Alden fans won't buy the J Crew version either way. J Crew is simply offering a cheaper alternative

1 person likes this.
  5. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Just checked jcrew version of indy boots online. Wow thats straight copy and paste but still it doesnt have alden vibe. I guess we are still in good hands. Sometime when I wear alden lwb, ppl ask me if it is from jcrew. But it doesnt bother me at all. Comparing jcrew to alden is sin.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

A lot of people only know Alden from J Crew stores. I've mentioned this before, but I have been approached and asked "Are those J Crew Aldens" before while wearing Alden cordovan chukkas.

7. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

I think this is one of those things were, as much of a shame as it is, JCrew doesn't care. JCrew is somewhere around a 3 billion dollar company(last I checked), that is praised on the business market for their creativity and innovation in their respective market.

Additionally, I have heard from many retailers that they cannot attempt to sell shoes/boots they cannot get. 2+ years wait on certain styles cannot fit the model of a fast growing ever changing company like JCrew. I'm not saying I agree with this, but in a business world you have to understand why they would attempt to hijack a style. Every industry in every spectrum of the world does this very same thing. Where can you go now adays that is a chain style store that doesnt sell some sort of hijacked product?

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I highly doubt that any company owns a shoe style. LWB, PTB, Monks are just styles. Sure the Indy has the stiched apron, but so do a lot of shoes.

You definitely can't say that JC's Ludlow LWB and PTB are copies of Alden. It's just a style.

9. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

The AE Mojave is pretty much a copy of Alden's chukka. They don't offer it in shell, but someone listed a shell MTO Mojave on eBay: [​IMG] Compare to Alden's 1339: [​IMG] AE's Patriot penny loafer seems to be their best replica of the LHS. Of course Alden doesn't own the rights to basic designs like these, and the Patriot doesn't resemble the LHS perfectly. But the Mojave is obviously a copy IMO.

1 person likes this.
  10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^ And what chukka is Alden's a copy of?

11. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Fair to say my barrie size and trubalance size would be the same? Close to pulling the trigger on a pair of 403s. Only hesitation is I think they would be worn in the same situations as my Wings and HornxDayton service boots, which I have really grown to love and hate the idea of replacing.

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I'm not aware of a chukka just like Alden's that pre-dates theirs, but I don't think Alden invented the chukka by any means.

14. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

+1

15. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Yes it is the same size for most.
    My personal thought is Barrie is the slightest bit trimmer in the toebox so I can wear 8 or 8.5 in Barrie, were as Trubalance its 8 definitively.

16. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

How in fact does one hijack (or steal) a work boot, a PTB, and a LWB? In the case of J Crew, the models are the same, but you are talking about two very different animals at significantly different price points.

My point exactly...

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

This is the standard design Mojave, which is unlined and never officially offered in shell. Not too similar, IMO.

[​IMG]

18. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Maybe copying the "iconic" Indy, arguably Alden's most recognized model, pushes things a little too far for some of us? Just speculating. I saw the other Ludlows when they came out and I knew they were trying to provide their customers with more affordable GYW shoes in Alden's style (which is not a bad move as others pointed out - though I personally wouldn't touch them bc I'm a snob), which did not bother me. LWBs, SWBs, PTBs, etc, are classic styles that most makers carry. But the new work style boot- esp. the very obvious way in which it tries to exactly copy the Indy... it strikes me as an uncreative, disrespectful, shameless ripoff. It crosses a line for me. That said, I'll get over it and still buy those things I like from JCrew (oh the hypocrisy).

19. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Although the last shape is very very similar.

20. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Agreed. In my post I said "they don't offer it in shell, but someone listed a shell MTO Mojave on eBay." I included this in my post to show it alongside the 1339. You could also compare the Mojave to Alden's suede chukka. The stitching in particular is remarkably similar.

I don't really care if AE intentionally copied an Alden design. Alden may very well have done the same thing in the past. It's just an interesting observation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.